BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am replacing my rear suspension guide links and wishbones on my 540i. I am contemplating between aftermarket or OEM. I have already decided on going Lemforder for the wishbones as those are made for BMW by Lemforder from the factory. The only difference is the price mark-up that BMW applies to them once they have stamped their logo on them. What I am struggling with is spending the money on the OEM guide links versus Febi-Bilstein stuff that I can get for a little less money. This isn't cheap FCP Groton stuff. But I am just mixed as far as what I want to do. Rear ball joints are going to be done at the same time.

This is the diagram: RealOEM.com   BMW E39 540i REAR AXLE SUPPORT/WHEEL SUSPENSION

I plan on replacing #14 and #18 - both sides.

Bottom line, is the OEM worth the extra money over aftermarket?

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Seriously, 13 of you have viewed this and zero response... I would like to think that I have a little credibility, owning a damn M5 as well.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe I should have made this a poll... Haha. The amount of time the OEs lasted makes me think that the Febi-Bilstein stuff will do just fine. I hope...

·
Registered
782 Posts
I wouldn't cheap out. OEM parts are held to a high standard. They are not that much more and they are proven.

Cheers, :cheers:
Rhino

·
Registered
211 Posts
I have recently had the same dilema. On all the parts you have listed inc the ball joints. Yes OEM where more expensive but not by much

aftermarket = 1 year 10,000 mile warranty might be 20,000

BMW - 2 year unlimited milage

As my BMW parts have done 140k + for the extra £10 here or there it was a no brainer for me

I am just about to to the front Track Control arm, Lemforder from ECP was £148, BMW £154

I was happy with that

·
Registered
750 Posts
I relied on Febi-Bilstein for the guide links (which set rear toe-in) and ordered upper control arms from Lemforder. I have only 2-3K miles on them but so far the suspension seems to still be in alignment. For guide links (which take comparatively less stress than the wishbone and control arms) it's a waste of money to go OEM IMHO.

·
Registered
253 Posts
I have recently had the same dilema. On all the parts you have listed inc the ball joints. Yes OEM where more expensive but not by much

aftermarket = 1 year 10,000 mile warranty might be 20,000

BMW - 2 year unlimited milage

As my BMW parts have done 140k + for the extra £10 here or there it was a no brainer for me

I am just about to to the front Track Control arm, Lemforder from ECP was £148, BMW £154

I was happy with that
is that price each ?

have you bought these? i am going with meyle for mine when they come in stock as they have a 4 year warranty and have ben superb on my e46

·
Registered
2,271 Posts
is that price each ?

have you bought these? i am going with meyle for mine when they come in stock as they have a 4 year warranty and have ben superb on my e46
Ditto. On my list.

I reckon you'll see two schools of thought here anyway, those who go OEM as a religion, and those who have bought aftermarket and have had no issues, and swear by them. Of course on the flip side, there will be those who bought aftermarket and rate them badly as they only lasted x miles, but also those who bought OEM and they only lasted x miles, and feel they might as well have gone for aftermarket anyway.

·
Registered
211 Posts
is that price each ?

Yes i have had to as i needed them quick.

I have no issues with after market, but with such little price gaps on the more major components i feel OEM is a safer bet long term.

I have many non BMW parts which i feel are less important

1 - 10 of 10 Posts