BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

761 - 767 of 767 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
As suggested by flacoramos, the dealer has reset the adaptations and re-ran VANOS test and the values are 0.59,0.71, 0.65, 0.74 as per below. Not all pass but better than before (0.54,0.58,0.54,0.55)

I have been on the Sophie-noids for about 600kms now and no issues to report. As per my previous post comments are still valid - Slightly quieter idle, slightly more responsive engine (improvement seems very slight so might only be a psychological thing)

In any case - Well Done Sophie ... The v2 Solenoids Work (at least in the short term) and I would recommend them for those needing new solenoids and wanting to avoid the Genuine rip off.

Will post again on the longer term results probably Jan next year. Should have about 4-5000 kms on it by then.

How are these going?
Are they still giving you failed readings?

·
Registered
41 Posts
Question for the people in this thread. I am saving/restoring an early build 06 currently. I have no clue if the factory solenoids are in there and working but I am considering going to the Sophie v2s while I am in there? Any thoughts on this?

·
Registered
231 Posts
No one on this forum seems to write about how well these work. If they were junk I think we'd hear all about it but based on the sales and relative silence, I'd say that it seems the latest versions work just fine.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I was happy with the 1st version.

I got the 2nd version because at around 8 months of using them I did feel some sluggish-ness in the response and did another test and they didn't pass the test I recall .5 to .6 results. Sophie sent me the newer version solenoids without any issues.
I have changed my oil 3x on those 1st generation sophie solenoids for only 5000km of driving only to make sure I'm still not producing copper from my new BE bearings that I had installed at the same time as those 1st gen. solenoids.

I have not had a chance to put them in the car as it was in storage for almost 1.5 years and life matters were more important.
But I finally got things back on track and I did install the 2nd version solenoids about a month ago and did the first test which passed better than the 1st version solenoids passed.
I didn't take any screen shots unfortunately as I was pressed for time. I will when I get a chance to spend time on it again - it requires a little bit of time to warm up the motor and all. I had high .8 and .9 for results, which is pretty damn good.
But I am waiting for winter to &#(@ off so I can finally drive my car again for the real test :)

·
Registered
437 Posts
Well, I had some time during my self-isolation so I did the test again today and I got lower #s than last time.
.69 and .77, which is still a pass. These are 2nd gen sophie solenoids. I let the car warm up and did the test right away, without any bleeds. (The bleeding I did 3 times last time when I installed these 2nd gen. solenoids)

·
Registered
93 Posts
I installed V2 Solenoids from Sophie after the V1's failed. The V1's sent the car into limp mode. It's been months since I installed the V2's, maybe a year. Here are some observations.

1. The idle fluctuations are gone (surging idle). Idle is now steady. For those that may not be aware, bad solenoids will cause the idle to bounce. That "surge" will fry ignition coils (three in a 45 day period). If you have issues with bad ignition coils AND a surging idle, fix the idle first which could be caused by bad solenoids. Run diagnostics on your Idle Actuators as well to rule them out as the cause.

2. VANOS tests immediately following the install were .7 for intake and .8 for exhaust. They've remained at those numbers since then. I ran the test yesterday and same numbers.

3. Currents on all solenoids are below the threshold. I forget the exact numbers, however, that does not affect the solenoid's performance from what I've seen on my car.

4. The adjusting units are a bit noisier now and make the noticeable VANOS rattle every so often. Never on start up and only for a few seconds. My M5 is a 2008, which is inherently quieter during operation than my old 2006 M5.

5. I reset all adaptations, including SMG and gearbox, so the full effect of the V2 VANOS solenoids takes a while to settle. However, the change in driving dynamics and throttle response was really noticeable right away. My MPG now hovers around the 16-17MPG range doing a mixture of highway and city driving. MPG was in the 12's before swapping solenoids, but hard to tell if they are solely responsible for the jump.

6. I took my first long road trip in the M5 just last week; 1600 miles in less than three days. The car ran beautifully and had no issues at all. Before, the car struggled to "breathe" past 90 MPH. It is now effortless beyond 100 (if ever were to drive that fast ;))

7. I switched to Schaeffer's 5w50 as well. I do think that the lighter oil helps improve solenoid performance. But that is my uneducated guess as I'm not an expert on oil or anything else that matters.

761 - 767 of 767 Posts