BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

641 - 660 of 744 Posts

·
Registered
371 Posts
I ordered a solenoid from Sophie on the 29th Jan, it was shipped the same day and arrived in the UK today. Fantastic service!
Excellent! After installing them, please post up the ISTA report in entirety after bleeding a few times. That's all we are asking for. Unbiased screenshot of the ista result after fresh install and bleeding. If you are buying the solenoid, you're more likely to be Hands-On owner if not work on the car yourself. I find it worrisome that no actual results have been posted yet. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I know I'm not reporting back because while it passed.. that doesn't speak for the long term. You can say "hallelujah it works!" Then it breaks a couple months later.

·
Registered
95 Posts
Excellent! After installing them, please post up the ISTA report in entirety after bleeding a few times. That's all we are asking for. Unbiased screenshot of the ista result after fresh install and bleeding. If you are buying the solenoid, you're more likely to be Hands-On owner if not work on the car yourself. I find it worrisome that no actual results have been posted yet. Thanks in advance.

No problems, I've just had 3 genuine BMW units fitted after all 4 were reporting not OK. I'll get some screenshots posted of the vanos test before the 3 were replaced, the results now, and then the results after.

It may be a little while before I fit the unit from Sophie though as I've only just got the car back and I'm reluctant to start pulling it apart again yet.

·
Registered
51 Posts
i have posted results of my install on bank 2 on page 64. that was after one bleed. i just received the next so i will install them this coming weekend ill bleed 4 times and post screenshots of results

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #647 (Edited)
Received some detailed VANOS test results from another customer in France. Very solid numbers, pretty much all is well within specs with the exception of current measurement that is slightly off. Sharing them with you guys here.

Bank 1

Bank 2

·
Registered
527 Posts
I have v1 solenoids and am doing some maintenance and rb. I have no vanos codes before I started but purchased Sophie v1 when they first came available. I sonic cleaned my original solenoids and replaced o-rings and re-installed. I’m afraid of installing the v1 just because of the time it takes to put car back together just to remove them if they don’t work and install stocks back in. I find this disappointing. Has anybody had luck with v1?

·
Registered
226 Posts
I have v1 solenoids and am doing some maintenance and rb. I have no vanos codes before I started but purchased Sophie v1 when they first came available. I sonic cleaned my original solenoids and replaced o-rings and re-installed. I’m afraid of installing the v1 just because of the time it takes to put car back together just to remove them if they don’t work and install stocks back in. I find this disappointing. Has anybody had luck with v1?
I know he was exchanging v1's for v2's for those who asked. Send him a PM maybe and see what he says.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hey guys Bill here from Australia.

I have recently rebuilt my M5 S84 With all new External parts. here are some updates regarding aftermarket Solenoids.
I have deleted old adaptions bleed the system over 5 times with no good results.
Here are some photos.

·
Registered
132 Posts
i dont know what to say about bmw.solenoids testing... if i do 3 tests in a row a get fairly different values. the main idea is that i would never pay 1200 UK pounds.per solenoid... so we need to compromise somewhere

Sent from my LYA-L09 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
527 Posts

I have recently rebuilt my M5 S84 With all new External parts. here are some updates regarding aftermarket Solenoids.

I have deleted old adaptions bleed the system over 5 times with no good results.

Here are some photos.

How many times did you bleed system? I did vanos bleed 3 times and had different results.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #658

Here are some photos.
I would think the new/rebuilt engine played a key role here. As alusil from new/rebuilt engine could easily clog up solenoids to start with. It takes multiple oil changes/bleeds to clean up any alusil/dirt/grime in the VANOS system.

·
Registered
261 Posts
its got small amount of lag but drives fine.

Any pinging under load?

I installed 2 new solenoids just before they went sky-high in price and within a month of driving they were reporting as "Not OK" in some test areas.

Maybe someone with better understanding of the mechanics would be able to say why this is. Looks like your overall valve quality is pretty good though - 0.7 to 0.8.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would think the new/rebuilt engine played a key role here. As alusil from new/rebuilt engine could easily clog up solenoids to start with. It takes multiple oil changes/bleeds to clean up any alusil/dirt/grime in the VANOS system.
The engine was rebuilt 7 months ago. Its done 12000ks 7 oil and filter change its got nothing to do with engine rebuild.

641 - 660 of 744 Posts