BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 744 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Not happy with the ripoff by BMW on the VANOS Solenoid, I went ahead locate some resources to manufacture some.

My car used to have a small issue with VANOS in Bank 2 as shown in this screen shot:

I installed two solenoids provided by a vendor that reputably specializes in designing and manufacturing automotive parts. I only replaced the two solenoids in Bank 2. Test results look pretty good.

and

Here are a few more pictures for the samples

I installed the two samples on my beast dated back on Aug 27 and they have been operating without any issue since then for over 1200 miles.

I've started manufacturing a small batch. With all the costs taken into account, the selling price should NOT be more than $120 for each solenoid. Not sure if anyone is interested here?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Not happy with the ripoff by BMW on the VANOS Solenoid, I went ahead locate some resources to manufacture some.

My car used to have a small issue with VANOS in Bank 2 as shown in this screen shot:

I installed two solenoids provided by a vendor that reputably specializes in designing and manufacturing automotive parts. I only replaced the two solenoids in Bank 2. Test results look pretty good.

and

I installed the two samples on my beast dated back on Aug 27 and they have been operating without any issue since then for over 1200 miles.

I've started manufacturing a small batch. With all the costs taken into account, the selling price should NOT be more than $120 for each solenoid. Not sure if anyone is interested here?

I’m interested

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
750 Posts

and

Those solenoids will fail a vanos test and give a value of under 0.59. I tried this out about a year ago with one vendor I was led on to and I believe they still sell them based on when I shortly worked with them. In short, they are no better than you cleaning your currently solenoids and putting new o-rings in.

I have a batch of 2500 solenoids from the OEM supplier to BMW which are due in around Christmas time. They give a reading of 0.88 or better which is of new condition based on being installed in a used engine.

Not trying to crap on your thread, but you should share the vanos test result for bank 2 which will read as both being "not ok".

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
1,549 Posts
Those solenoids will fail a vanos test and give a value of under 0.59. I tried this out about a year ago with one vendor I was led on to and I believe they still sell them based on when I shortly worked with them. In short, they are no better than you cleaning your currently solenoids and putting new o-rings in.

I have a batch of 2500 solenoids from the OEM supplier to BMW which are due in around Christmas time. They give a reading of 0.88 or better which is of new condition based on being installed in a used engine.

Not trying to crap on your thread, but you should share the vanos test result for bank 2 which will read as both being "not ok".

Interesting, and how much will you ask for them?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here are more OK test results

You probably did not read the numbers from the screen shots that captured the test results before you replied. The quality readings for two solenoids are 0.8 and 0.7, which I think is reasonably good. Other readings are all within respective ranges.

I am also enclosing two more screen shots that indicated more test results as being 'OK'.

The CURRENT readings from the testing is 218mA and 265mA for the two solenoids. They are the only 'NOT OK' as they deviated from -150 to 150 set point range.

As I said, this pair of valves have been functioning normal on my beast for more than 3 months and 1200+ miles. I feel reasonably confident with them from both initial test results and real world driving experience.

·
Registered
844 Posts
You'll have people lining up for those...

·
Registered
158 Posts
Put me on the list for (4) at $120 each...

Also...slightly off topic...do the original OEM Vanos solenoids have a black body and aftermarket have a silver body? Just curious, I've seen a few Vanos DIY on here and it appears that original equipment Vanos solenoids may have been black. All (4) of mine are silver. Just wondering if those were replaced at some point by previous owner...I know the engine was replaced in 2011 with a new BMW engine, maybe it would have came with new solenoids?

·
Registered
265 Posts
He removed the price from his post. WTH.

Fyi that ecs tuning now had a aftermarket solution,. But it's still $750.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
265 Posts
Oh ya. I got it now.

So is this $120 for a new solenoid? Or reman or what? I'm going to play sceptical here till something awesome happens then ill be all up on Sophie.

I changed my o rings recently and I brought all 4 of mine from no good to about .60-.72 which I was pleased with. It got rid of crappy starting and warm idle fluctuating.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Oh ya. I got it now.

So is this $120 for a new solenoid? Or reman or what? I'm going to play sceptical here till something awesome happens then ill be all up on Sophie.
$120 is for a brand new solenoid. No refurbish, no reman. As I said, I have two of these solenoids running on my beast for 3+ months and everything is awesome thus far.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Put me on the list for (4) at $120 each...

Also...slightly off topic...do the original OEM Vanos solenoids have a black body and aftermarket have a silver body? Just curious, I've seen a few Vanos DIY on here and it appears that original equipment Vanos solenoids may have been black. All (4) of mine are silver. Just wondering if those were replaced at some point by previous owner...I know the engine was replaced in 2011 with a new BMW engine, maybe it would have came with new solenoids?
Good observation. Very originally, I believe these solenoids start with black body, but the latest OEM solenoids have a silver body, so do my aftermarket ones.

1 - 20 of 744 Posts