BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
How do I start...
I loved the sound of my Nowack exhaust in the US.

Liked the sound of the Kelleners Race on the Ute M5 in OZ, but I thought the US sound was better/deeper and to be honest the Kelleners seemed a bit metalic in my Ute in Australia.
With the Kelleners on and when I intially deleted the Tubi resonators, the sound was just too loud in residential areas, I had to change gear by2,000rpm to just not kill people near me.
Put the Tubi resonators back on and the volume was totally killed, but still way better the stock.
Kelleners race without resonators
volume 9, with resonators back on 5

I send the deeper sounding Nowack to OZ and the Keleners back to the US M5.
That flip totally changed the two sounds.

The Nowack was nice and now very sound streetable in my nanny country of Australia and with a nice deepr tone.
At the higher end of things the Nowack is real nice, but under 4,000rpm it's just OK, but cop safe.

The kelleners on the OZ vehicle was a bit metalic, but a swap the US car and it was deep and weighted.
This set up is now bloody perfect (for the less touchy US cops)
Love it 100%

Now back to resonators.

I think the Nowack exhaust set up on the Ute is currently running the original Tubi resonators out back, this is what MIB had on yoda when I bought it.
The US M5 has always had the Nowack resonators that seem to be hand made and not bought off the shelf, and from what I can hear the resonators are the key ingredent in what's changing the tone/volume so much between the two..

Not sure who here has the Tubi resonators and what they know about them, but sure there are even less people with the Nowack resonators out there.

The Nowack ones are bretty basic from the outside point of view.
Their about 12" long and 4" wide....that's it.

Would love to know what the inside is like and if it's just a 4" wide exhaust tube?

I'd have to say the bacially most M5's make the same sound from post cats, but from resonators back things can change.

I know that the current "yeh baby" US set up will get me in trouble in OZ in only a number of weeks so it's not really an otion to try and copy it.

Thought of cutting out the Nowack resonators and getting them fitted to the OZ ute and see if I've hit a sweet spot, and if not head another direction and get the Nowack ones sent back to the US and start again.

Another option is to do a bi-modal system that goes around the Tubi's and play with that idea of getting the volume when I feel the need at the right times, but knowing how loud the resoanator delete got with the Kelleners on, I'm a bit suspect that it would be too loud for reves under 4,000rpm

Not sure I want to be flicking at a button all day.

Are there any decent 4" x 12" resonators out there that guys have used on their M5's that I can get feed back from.
Apples

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
tone will be heavily affected by material - thin 321SS tubes tend to be very crisp to the point of being raspy/metallic. 316 and 304SS tend to be thicker, thus their sound is deeper. I would suggest Burns Stainless as the place to go for exhaust parts.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Interesting idea in the different stainless steel making a difference.
I looked that their site and only noticed exhausts, are they really any different to what a resonator is?
Only way for me to really know what the Nowack resonator is, is to cut into it to have a look, or cut it off and have a look inside to see what construction it's made of.
Stuart

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Here's the the two versions.
The Nowack one is the shorter stumpy version, Tubi the other.

SA

Attachments

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Have you ever run the tubi resonators with straight pipes? I also have the Tubi resonators, but with tubi mufflers, and it is a little too quiet for me. I think straight pipes might make it too loud - My car is a daily driver.

P.S.> Clean underside mate!

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not sure, but I bet you could pull it off in the US.
Would love to hear that combo....
Maybe I might have a play with that when the utes out of town later in the year.
That pic has the Kelleners on and now it's got the Nowack, so not sure if it's clamped like this pic or welded.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I run Magnaflow P/N 10416

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Great lead
I'll have a look at their site and see what's up.
how much did it make a change from what you had before ( did you have stock on before?)
is a resonator just a more basic smaller version of an exhaust
Stuart

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
From what I gather, the Magnaflow 10416 "resonators" in particular, are actually "mufflers" listed as mufflers. So I guess a resonator could be a small muffler.

I see my two options (after doing a muffler delete) are a custom X-pipe and the Magnaflow muffler above or the Rogue engineering X-pipe with resonators (included). I don't know what type of resonator Rogue Engineering uses in their X-pipe setup.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts

·
Registered
1,872 Posts
If I get the chance this summer, I'd like to do the muffler delete, keeping the stock resonator. But I'm afraid it may be a bit more volume than I want. I wonder what a second set of resonators like these Magnaflow's would sound like along with the stock resonator and muffler delete?

·
Registered
3,873 Posts

·
Registered
1,531 Posts
Magnaflow 10416 resonators here too, they made a big difference compared to straight pipe, but I'm not sure how they would compare to what you already have. They are straight-through, 2.5" inlet/outlet, body is 4" outside diameter, 14" long.

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm leaning towards adding a bypass set up that's parallel to the Tubi's that I'll control via a bi-mode controller.
I wonder if I could have one of the dead switches I've got like the heated seat button's or the rear window to send a signal v's the set up that the unit comes with.
Sounds like another thread there with that query.
I digress ....

With a flick of the switch I can add aural pleasure in any RPM zone when the time is right (currently the Tubi resonator Nowack exhaust is really only any good from 5-7k), but be able to flick back to Mr Quiet when near the cops and feel like I better shut up.

Thanks guys for the impute so far.
Stuart

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just having another look at the pic and with the long fat Tubi resonators on currently I don't see enough room for a pair of 4" x 12" loud puppies to fit around them.
If so a can bet there's some nice $$$ is pipe work to get it all to come together.

Stuart

·
Registered
1,721 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Here's the X pipe my shop guy built for the project...
Last pic with the Kelleners Race no resonators then, too loud full stop, then decided to put the Tubi's on.
Stuart

Attachments

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Well constructed , not expensive and it worked to reduce the drone and noise , at least in my car.
Vibrant Performance::.
Resonator from Vibrant Performance

I'll vouch for their stuff, too. Not uber-quality like Burns Stainless; but, definitely worth the $$, and way more affordable, too.

Alot of "resonators" are just in-line mufflers.

If you just want to quiet the car down a bit, check out the vibrant resonators vs. the Burns Stainless mufflers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts