BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just curious what other people are doing / have done for aftermarket rear speakers. I've gone full aftermarket for HU and amps, and didn't do the speakers because I figured I'd see what they sound like with proper amps and an MS8 to do custom crossovers. Turns out the answer is they still sound like crap, and with enough power they blow.

I'm going to do the fronts with 'Pener' style baffles and I'll do a deadening job on the doors. I would like to do rear speakers (coaxial is fine) but the OEM sit in that odd pod. Other than BSW's custom baskets, what have people done to mount a decent rear speaker?

On the upside, turns out the M-Audio subs actually sound decent with proper signal and power :cool: Not going to win any bump contests, but they'll work for my music.

·
Registered
268 Posts
If you're using a MS-8, any coaxial will do. The treble will be rolled off a lot by the tune in order to ensure the soundstage stays forward and you'll want to set the rear high pass around 100Hz.

I used the JBL GT6-5

Which front components are you going for?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Hi,

For a substantial upgrade in potential sound quality over oem speakers, then even a budget brand speaker if installed solidly and correctly will perform very well indeed. Keep the same quality of fitting/installation and use higher performing speakers and the results are even better and, very often to the point of 'jaw dropping' and 'phenomenal' and 'astonishing' levels !

For keeping the oem look to the door cards, then the baffles from 12V electronics are an excellent choice. For the rears, as per above, getting 'critical' levels of performance isn't so important. A decent set of 5.25inch co-axials will be fine for a bit of 'rear fill'. If your intentions are to make a significantly 'louder' performance setup, then components will likely be required.

From the level you are mentioning, then any decent co-axials from the likes of Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine would be ok, and if your preference is for high quality, dedicated car audio brands, then similar products from the likes of Hertz, DLS, JL Audio, Focal etc are all suitable.

You'll just need to find a set which fit into that little 'area' under the rear speaker grille - and pretty much any entry level choice from the above brands should fit ok.

Cheers, Dennis!

·
Registered
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your thoughts guys. I guess my question wasn't so much about doing it or not doing it, or even what to use, but more focused on the HOW of mounting. Did you re-use the OEM speaker pods and fit the speaker to them somehow? How did you seal it? I haven't taken it apart yet, so I'm really looking for any tips on that before I do. Thank you.

:cheers:

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Alpine type S or R will drop right into the factory baffles. Most speakers will, just check the mounting depth.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Question please
I been on here for ever today and still cant find What i need

I am looking HOW TO take apart the e39 m5 read 10" m audio PODS ..
the plastic housing that holds the speakers

ALL I CAN see is how to take the rear deck parcel off or HOW TO install the 10" pods ( after the new speakers are in them
)

PLEASE any one know a link or how to take these pods apart so i can replace

email me
[email protected]

THanks

1 - 7 of 7 Posts