BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently, I cracked my foglight while driving on the freeway. I checked out the OEM prices and was put off by the $110-each price tag. So I bought an aftermarket set from modbargains, made for e46/e39's, but they don't fit. I did a search and didn't find any topics where anyone complained about aftermarket replacements, so I wanted to see if anyone has had any experience replacing their fogs with non-oem units.

I'm including several pics for comparison between the original and the aftermarket fogs:

Motor vehicle Auto part Automotive lighting Vehicle Car

Auto part

Auto part Tire Rim Automotive tire Automotive lighting

Auto part Automotive wheel system Automotive tire Rim Wheel

Headlamp Automotive lighting Light Auto part Vehicle

Headlamp Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Tire Automotive tire

The problem i'm having with the replacement foglights is the adjustment screw on top. With the placement of it there, the foglight will not go in through the front, nor from the back of the bracket that holds the foglight in place. When I first encountered the problem trying to install it from the front, I took off the lower under-body panel and tried to install it from the back, but was unable to find any angle in which it would go in. In the last two pics, you can see there is absolutely no clearance for anything to be on top of the foglight, whether coming from the front or the rear of the bracket.

Help?

(Please excuse the car for being dirty, we're in winter here in a norcal.)

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I cannot comment on Modbargains' aftermarket fogs but I am running DDM OEM style fog lights and they fit perfectly. You might want to contact Modgargains and see if you can get a replacement set.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I cannot comment on Modbargains' aftermarket fogs but I am running DDM OEM style fog lights and they fit perfectly. You might want to contact Modgargains and see if you can get a replacement set.
I'm assuming yours didn't have the adjustment screw on top right?

I called modbargains earlier today and they told me it should be the correct set. He said he was going to contact the manufacturer (depo apparently) and see what they say. If modbargains can't help me I may just go with what you did and order from DDM. Thanks for the heads up.

Just wondering if anyone else has encountered the same issue with this style of lights?

Sent from my Droid using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I'm assuming yours didn't have the adjustment screw on top right?
Mine has an adjustment screw, but it's in the same location as the OEM one. Yours, for some reason, is located at the top, and it should be on the side (like OEM). I do not believe you have the correct part.

In this picture, it shows exactly how the adjustment screw needs to be on the side to fit and adjust after being installed on the car:

I would urge Modbargains to either refund you or replace the part with the correct one. Try sending them these pictures as well for further clarification. There's a difference between "should be the correct set" and "IS the correct set."

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.