BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

I just bought a 2001 M5 (non S2 :sad3: ) with 30k miles and want to add an aftermarket extended warranty.

Is there any problem adding a warranty after the factory BMW one has expired?

Do you guys have any recommendations? Cost? Do most BMW dealers and independent repair shops honor these aftermarket warranties?

Thanks

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
There are TWO warranties on our cars. An Extended Warranty (similar to what the "normal" person thinks of as a "Warranty"), and an Extended Maintenance Program (for free service) ... differnet beasts ...

Both BMW versions require a signup prior to expiration of the car's original warranty (who was the original owner may play a part in whether one can qualify ... and, a CPO is a different beast, as well).

I paid $ 2368 for a BMW Extended Maintenance Warranty and could have gotten it for $ 1,195.00 if I had shopped around (any dealer can sell it to you ... it is a warranty on the car). I paid $ 3,295.00 for a BMW Extended Warranty from a different dealer (his cost was $ 2,995.00 ... by then I had figured out how to shop around for the best deal). The list price of this warranty was near $ 4,000.

I had heard the the warranty prices (both) had changed at the beginning of 2007.

I found that ard (Adam) was very knowledgable (sp?) on the factory programs.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Silverstreak said:
Where are you in Florida? I have an independent shop that I purchased the extended warranty through. So far two claims and no problems.
Jacksonville, but will be relocating to the West Coast.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
jclyman said:
There are TWO warranties on our cars. An Extended Warranty (similar to what the "normal" person thinks of as a "Warranty"), and an Extended Maintenance Program (for free service) ... differnet beasts ...

Both BMW versions require a signup prior to expiration of the car's original warranty (who was the original owner may play a part in whether one can qualify ... and, a CPO is a different beast, as well).

I paid $ 2368 for a BMW Extended Maintenance Warranty and could have gotten it for $ 1,195.00 if I had shopped around (any dealer can sell it to you ... it is a warranty on the car). I paid $ 3,295.00 for a BMW Extended Warranty from a different dealer (his cost was $ 2,995.00 ... by then I had figured out how to shop around for the best deal). The list price of this warranty was near $ 4,000.

I had heard the the warranty prices (both) had changed at the beginning of 2007.

I found that ard (Adam) was very knowledgable (sp?) on the factory programs.
I want to obtain a bumper to bumper (BTB) warranty to cover repair costs.

As mentioned earlier, the factory BTB warranty expired, since this is a 2001 car. Do most warranty companies accept cars that are out of factory warranty?

Thanks again.

·
In Memoriam
4,624 Posts
boostaddict said:
I want to obtain a bumper to bumper (BTB) warranty to cover repair costs.

As mentioned earlier, the factory BTB warranty expired, since this is a 2001 car. Do most warranty companies accept cars that are out of factory warranty?

Thanks again.
Some do accept cars out of warranty, but I doubt you will find a bumper to bumper warranty ... All that I am aware of exclude certain items ... like NAV systems ... Even BMW excludes some items ...

But, you have to be sooooo ... sooooo careful with the one you pick. Last year, one very popular warranty recommended by users of this board went out of business ...

Do a search ... and, then due diligence ...

Good luck ... I suspect there are no easy answers to your question ...

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
boostaddict said:
Jacksonville, but will be relocating to the West Coast.
BUY THE WARRANTY BEFORE YOU MOVE TO CALIFORNIA.

You can buy MBI (mechanical breakdown insurance) or 'extended warranties' from various companies in many states: in CA you MUST buy it from a 'brick and mortar' shop, ie dealer, and they are limited and expensive. Many more options outside CA.

The WILL all cover you if you subsequently move into CA.

READ the policy prior to purchase....

A

1 - 8 of 8 Posts