1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
2,009 Posts
AGREED! Who makes it and is it emissions-legal (cat-back)?

Alps

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
It's made by G-Power which is based near hamburg in Germany. http://www.g-power.de
The exhaust I bought was the medium version which they say is not TUV certified, which is illegal in Germany but can be exported. They also have a power version which is supposedly even louder. =P I'm not sure if they're emissions legal for the US, but it's basically just the muffler part I changed (cat-back), so it should be ok.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That exhaust is definitely what should be recomended. It sounds great.Do they make one with the stock looking quad pipes?Thanks

·
Registered
28 Posts
I was thinking of installing a set of Hamann exhaust. Anu thoughts? Tfung, I do not think we can get the Gpower set in the states.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I'd recently got Hamann Exhaust installed(the DTM style). It's been about a week and I really like it so far. In the first place, I didn't want an exhaust that is too loud(at least from inside).
As Kelvin explained in his post quite a while ago, it is louder than the stock but not too much. Deep throaty sound at low revs(1000~2,3000) is impressive.
Felix, Hamann makes two kinds of exhaust; 76mm DTM and 76mm regular(just like stock with increased diameter). If you're gonna get the regular one, consider the Supersprint also. They supply many tuners including Hamann. Their exhaust looks like stock one, but the diameter is increased to 90mm! Haven't heard the sound yet.

P.S; Installing the exhaust, Kelvin's installation pictures were really helpful. Thanks.

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
well, G-Power makes the exhaust in 76mm which is the same size as stock. Shouldn't sound too much different. But do you guys notice how the stock exhaust resonates at 1500rpm inside the car? Inside the car, at 1500rpm, the exhaust note is a very very low rumble. Once you go past that, you can't hear the exhaust. With the exhaust I have now, it sounds nearly the same as stock inside the car, but it's super loud outside. Great BMW engineering to block out the sound from outside.. =) Also, the exhaust sounds exactly the same as stock when you start the car in the morning. However, once it warms up, it gets louder and louder... hehe... strange... =P

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Steve,
by the way, do you think you can post videos or pictures of your car with the hamann exhausts?
Thanks!
Terence

·
Registered
18 Posts
TFUNG,
If you could please tell me how to go about purchasing the exhaust that you have on your car I would appreciate it. I went to the G-Power site but I dont speak German. Thanks and it sounds great!!!

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
you can email them at [email protected]
They'll reply in English, but it's better if you can communicate with them in German. There are a lot of useful information on their website. Try finding an online translator to translate german websites in english.
Terence

·
Registered
9 Posts
Does changing exhaust systems change performance at all? My friend got Hamann exhausts and no difference. Any of you notice any difference?

Chuck

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Performance wise is not much difference, although I did notice that the rpm goes up a little faster when I accelerate.... just a little. I think the main benefits of changing the exhaust is the great V8 sound you get! =)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts