BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Dear Fellow Members,

i am thinking of upgrading my Clutch and Flywheel... Can those of you who run one share their Experience?

Is it worth it to change to a lighter Flywheel and an aftermarket clutch?

·
Registered
2,983 Posts
I have run multiple OEM clutch kits, currently have a 10.5 CNS Carbon Kevlar kit with light weight flywheel, and have a South Bend Stage 2 clutch and lightened OEN 9.45 Flywheel ready to install once the CNS kit is worn out.

While I loved (and still do) the CNS oversized setup with the lightweight flywheel, I could not justify spending that much again when it comes time to replace it. So I did some shopping around and ended up with the South Bend kit with the lightened OEM flywheel with the hopes that it satisfies me like the CNS did/does.

It all comes down to preference. If you do not have a high HP motor, most will say that the OEM is fine, which it is. But if you are looking for quicker revs, and slightly different driving characteristics (which do not yield any power gains) then you may look into aftermarket. Personally, I did not like how the OEM dual mass flywheel behaved. Slower revs kind of bugged me, which is why I prefer a lightweight flywheel. They arent cheap, so if prices are of concern, stick with a LUK kit and OEM flywheel. The total of those will cost less than a lightweight flywheel alone!

Reactions: gsfent

·
Registered
1,032 Posts
If you go from dual mass to a true light weight flywheel you will get quite a lot of noise from the gearbox at idle.

·
Registered
3,784 Posts
Ran OEM when until 96k miles, installed my 2nd S/C system with a new OEM, now have 3rd variation of a S/C and few weeks back installed Dinan LWFL and reinstalled OEM @ 104k miles

I've been hearing great things about the South Bend Clutches, will consider it if my current clutch wears out soon.

·
Registered
3,968 Posts
im running the south bend stage 3 daily clutch with non self adjusting pressure plate, no complaints or issues after close to a year of use. im looking to do the ltw flywheel next but i want to keep the clutch so i guess im looking at a lightened stock dmf. i definitely don't want to deal with chatter so a one piece is out. im thinking there must be a good machine shop somewhere in the states that can take a stock flywheel and shave it down a few lbs.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the Update guys.. i think i will stick to the OEM flywheel but do an aftermarket clutch when its about time :)

1 - 6 of 6 Posts