BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I would to use my aftermarket cd changer on my M5. It's currently on my 528i. But, it does not have a coax connector. It comes with an i-bus adapter with a 3 pin and a 6 pin connector. Can I get this to work on my M5? I looked for a 6 pin cable but couldn't find one.

I would love to by a factory changer that can play recordable cd's but the dealer tells me one does not exist. True or False? I know the newer cars with in-dash cd players can play CD-R's.

·
Registered
272 Posts
I don't think the dealer knows what they are talking about.

In my 2000 beast with factory trunk mounted cd changer, I have played many CD-R's with absolute no problems.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Yup, my 1999 Factory CD Changer plays CD-R's just fine. If you do want to change to aftermarket, pass by an audio shop, there's an adaptor to go to alpine or any other, I have a converter by Soundgate.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ttboyvanc said:
Yup, my 1999 Factory CD Changer plays CD-R's just fine. If you do want to change to aftermarket, pass by an audio shop, there's an adaptor to go to alpine or any other, I have a converter by Soundgate.
I just found out that Soundgate makes a DSP adapter with a coax for my changer $179. My existing adapter only works for non-DSP. The dealer was probably screwing around with me because my factory changer skips like crazy and they've worked on it 4 times but it gets worse every time they replace it with refurbished ones. I asked if I could just get a replacement changer that could play CD-R and I would pay for the proce difference.

·
Registered
947 Posts
I ended up getting a BlitzSafe adapter that has an AUX (2 RCA inputs) that also allows for a CD changer to be installed. I sold my OEM CD Changer on eBay, bought a used Alpine changer compatibile with the BlitzSafe adapter. I then wired the AUX input up to the front and have my MP3 player plugged in, using a RCA to mini-plug cable I got at RadioShack for $5. This also allows me to plug in the satellite radio that I will be getting soon.

To listen to the MP3 player, I select the CD changer then click the skip forward then skip backward buttons in quick succession and vice-versa to get back to the CD changer. Given that I sold my OEM changer for more than the new changer, I basically spent $0 on this modification.

The guy I worked with was Christian at [email protected].
<tt>
Part #: BMW_ALP_DMX_V1D_DSP, price: $128.00</tt>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts