BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any suggestions for aftermarket catalytic converters for a B10 Biturbo? Looking to avoid the $8,000+ bill for new factory cats.

·
Registered
2,890 Posts
And you don't experience any ill-effects such as backfire, unburnt fuel, annoying odours?
Here is my own cat back system... without cats..

here in Iceland.. cars 1995 and pre .............. do not need catalysator

no the fume is ok... and the car is ok on lean/rich scale

·
Registered
64 Posts
Can you get a section made up with aftermarket cats for the emission test? Then once you pass, put the stock exhaust back on and keep the other section for the next time you require emission testing? That way you can keep the factory exhaust and still pass the emissions test. Just unbolt and swap when you need it.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I guess I'm more concerned about the way the car is running - fumes, backfiring - and thought it was a direct result of the lack of cats. Also, what about the impact on the turbos with the altered back pressure? Arent' they engineered for a specific back pressure situation that includes cats?

·
Registered
64 Posts
I don't know....I've never heard of anyone with a turbo on their car wanting more back pressure. Most of the time you want a more free flowing exhaust. If anything I'd be concerned about overboosting after removing the cats.

I guess I missed your other post. Your cats are already gutted? Did you start having these issues after the cats were gutted? I'd guess the issue is more likely related to a bad MAF or something.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts