BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, my current setup is stock cats + resonator delete + muffler delete, with straight piping from cats to exhaust tips.
ECU is stock.

1) How much bhp am I potentially sacrificing by not doing an ECU tune?
2) What is a cost-efficient ECU tune (Shark, Evolve, etc)?

Thank you.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Seedster for the quick reply.

I've always read that bolt-on mods without an appropriate ECU tune means diminished bhp gains - how come that doesn't apply in this case?

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Because your "bolt on mod" isn't actually changing, nor has the potential to change, anything about the performance of the car, all you are doing is altering the amount of noise the car makes.

The only way you will free up any horsepower from exhaust mods is changing anything upstream from where you stopped, i.e headers and then cats.

Even cats on their own without headers probably won't net you very much (if anything) at all as the headers are the restriciton in this system

·
Company Representative for Valley Motorwerks
763 Posts
Because your "bolt on mod" isn't actually changing, nor has the potential to change, anything about the performance of the car, all you are doing is altering the amount of noise the car makes.

The only way you will free up any horsepower from exhaust mods is changing anything upstream from where you stopped, i.e headers and then cats.

Even cats on their own without headers probably won't net you very much (if anything) at all as the headers are the restriciton in this system
Headers if done right will scavenge the cylinders - hp gain is dependent upon how poorly the oem's are. Totally agree about the cat restriction....

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If so, their "max 6hp" claim would have to be based on the most high-performing header available, which begs the question how they would even determine which header produces "max" gains to begin with.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Thanks everyone for the input, agree with your rationale.

When Dinan claims 6hp as "resulting power gains" for its muffler, is it solely referring to potential gains that only become available after the OEM headers are replaced?
No.

If so, their "max 6hp" claim would have to be based on the most high-performing header available, which begs the question how they would even determine which header produces "max" gains to begin with.

A dyno.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts