BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 81 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've been shopping around for an M6 for a year. Upgrading from my e46 M3. I put the deposit down on a late model 2007 with only 33k miles for $44,800. I pick it up in Atlanta on Saturday. I'm no stranger to tastefully modifying cars. I current have a 600rwhp supra which I built my own engine, design my own carbon fiber parts, weld, and do all the work. Plans for the M6 include lowering springs, front lip, some carbon fiber. I'd like to add an exhaust if I can find one for a good price. Perhaps I can make my own. Any general advice on ownership?
Thank you to this board for all the research.

Dennis

·
Registered
449 Posts
Congrats! Welcome to the board!!

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the board! It looks like you made a great selection!! Cheers!!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
welcome aboard!

·
Company Representative for ADV.1 Wheels
540 Posts
Congrats on the purchase and welcome to the board. OT - but i'd love to see pictures of your Supra. That car holds a soft spot in my heart.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I can't believe you waited a YEAR! Enjoy the beast and what it offers. If you can get any extended warranty do it. +1 on changing the fluids. Get the remap so you can really move unrestricted. Change the exhaust and air intake as well as what you have planned initially. Welcome!

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
Congratulations! Now let the fun begin.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I can't believe you waited a YEAR! Enjoy the beast and what it offers. If you can get any extended warranty do it. +1 on changing the fluids. Get the remap so you can really move unrestricted. Change the exhaust and air intake as well as what you have planned initially. Welcome!
Thats right, I've been on this board almost a year now. And you reminded me of something I saw on the carfax and did not understand. In January 2010:

Maintenance inspection completed
Engine/powertrain computer/module checked
Body computer/module reprogrammed
Battery/charging system checked

reprogrammed? why?

·
8,369 Posts
Congrats and welcome to the board!

Suggestions:

Dont let Valet park your car for you.

Change oil twice a year.

Drive easy until the engine is fully warmed up as determined by the red line.

Dont warm up the engine by sitting idle. Immediately drive the car at moderate speed.

On hot days - once your car is inside your garage - lift up the hood, let the engine breath easier and prevent the plastic parts from being cooked by the engine heat.

Keep your engine always clean. People would admire you and your mechanic would love you.
Dont use Gunk engine cleaner. Use Scrubbing Bubbles. I have a post on that here, just kindly do a search.

Never let a 16 year old kid work on your car at Car Toys. Go to a reputable electronics shop.

Upgrade to LCI LED front turn signals and LED tail lights. LED's are much brighter and consumes much less power.

Avoid the front plate. It makes the beast look ugly.

Upgrade your center channel speaker. Easy mod, makes the stereo system sound much better.

If you are like me that takes long drives on empty deserted roads - buy a spare wheel and tire for peace of mind.

Add a back up camera and front camera. You will avoid scraping your front and rear bumper or front lip if you plan on adding one.

Go for an ECU software mod. The difference is amazing. I am happy with Active Autowerke on mine.

2011 DVD maps are available in eBay for cheap.

I highly recommend Tubi Rumore exhaust.

Always have a good looking sexy gal wearing thongs wash your car for you. Makes life easy and happy : )

Dan

·
8,369 Posts
Oops, almost forgot: RPI scoops, block off plates and BMC filters highly recommended too.

Then dont forget to remove your charcoal filters.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Thats right, I've been on this board almost a year now. And you reminded me of something I saw on the carfax and did not understand. In January 2010:

Maintenance inspection completed
Engine/powertrain computer/module checked
Body computer/module reprogrammed
Battery/charging system checked

reprogrammed? why?

There was a systems software upgrade that BMW had and it may be that. Or if the car had an issue and something electronic had to be replaced they reload the software then as well. Nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Congrats! I was actually just drooling over that exact car the other day on Cars.com:thumbsup:. Fantastic color combo. Glad a board member picked it up!

afc1
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden"><input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Unusual interior combination. Is that olive ash trim (which in the U.S. was only an option for M5s, not M6s so far as I know). Or is your car an Individual?

You need to update your Board signature!

Head Uncle Dan's advice in the previous post. Also for the last item, check out posts by member "David Ajax III" - he seems to have "interesting" photos in his posts!

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Unusual interior combination. Is that olive ash trim (which in the U.S. was only an option for M5s, not M6s so far as I know). Or is your car an Individual?

Head Uncle Dan's advice in the previous post. Also for the last item, check out posts by member "David Ajax III" - he seems to have "interesting" photos in his posts!
Olive Ash wood was always an option in the M6 since 2006. The other two (non-Individual) trim options are carbon fiber and Walnut Madeira wood trim. I actually saw that exact color combination back in 06 at my local BMW dealership and I have loved it ever since.

afc1
<input id="gwProxy" type="hidden"><!--Session data--><input onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" id="jsProxy" type="hidden">

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Congrats! I was actually just drooling over that exact car the other day on Cars.com:thumbsup:. Fantastic color combo. Glad a board member picked it up!

afc1
<INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" type=hidden><INPUT id=gwProxy type=hidden><!--Session data--><INPUT id=jsProxy onclick="if(typeof(jsCall)=='function'){jsCall();}else{setTimeout('jsCall()',500);}" type=hidden>
I agree with you about the color combination. One of the reasons it took so long to find an M6 because I didn't want black interior or exterior (it seems 80% of M6s have one or the other). Also had to be an 2007 (I always buy the second year a model is out) and my price limit was $45k.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)

How can I be sure if its an individual? I guess I could ask the saleman. I surely haven't seen that combo before. I'm thinking about switching the olive to carbon fiber (me and my friend do carbon fiber parts). My supra is full of carbon fiber. I start my 9 hour trip early tomorrow morning. i can't wait.

Oops, almost forgot: RPI scoops, block off plates and BMC filters highly recommended too.

Then dont forget to remove your charcoal filters.
I need to look into this more. Is this the way to go on the intake (as opposed to dual cone filters)? These are drop in filters I see. Any noticable power increase or engine sound?

That would be the one. I found it looking at yahoo autos like I do just about everyday for the past year.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Congrats and welcome to the board!

Suggestions:

Dont let Valet park your car for you.

Change oil twice a year.

Drive easy until the engine is fully warmed up as determined by the red line.

Dont warm up the engine by sitting idle. Immediately drive the car at moderate speed.

On hot days - once your car is inside your garage - lift up the hood, let the engine breath easier and prevent the plastic parts from being cooked by the engine heat.

Keep your engine always clean. People would admire you and your mechanic would love you.
Dont use Gunk engine cleaner. Use Scrubbing Bubbles. I have a post on that here, just kindly do a search.

Never let a 16 year old kid work on your car at Car Toys. Go to a reputable electronics shop.

Upgrade to LCI LED front turn signals and LED tail lights. LED's are much brighter and consumes much less power.

Avoid the front plate. It makes the beast look ugly.

Upgrade your center channel speaker. Easy mod, makes the stereo system sound much better.

If you are like me that takes long drives on empty deserted roads - buy a spare wheel and tire for peace of mind.

Add a back up camera and front camera. You will avoid scraping your front and rear bumper or front lip if you plan on adding one.

Go for an ECU software mod. The difference is amazing. I am happy with Active Autowerke on mine.

2011 DVD maps are available in eBay for cheap.

I highly recommend Tubi Rumore exhaust.

Always have a good looking sexy gal wearing thongs wash your car for you. Makes life easy and happy : )

Dan
Do you recommened an oil change every 7500miles with the 10w-60? That what I did with the m3.

I need to clean the garage for sure.

Florida doesn't have front plates FTW.

What center channel speaker do you recommend? Out of a newer M6 or aftermarket? Were is this located? Near the dome light?

M3s dont have spares either, screwed me a few times.

The ecu upgrades don't come cheap on these cars. I got my AEM EMS standalone ecu on the supra for a bit more than the M6 reflash. Can one reflash be used on multiple cars?

Exhausts aren't cheap either. Probably be my last mod after suspension, intake, CF corner markers, black grills, lip.

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Since olive wood trim appears have been a standard option and you have a 2007, it would not be an Individual (being a U.S. car at that time).

Removing the charcoal filters is something usually done when you put BMC filters in. They are a U.S. only item (other countries never got them) and the charcoal filters are only there to reduce emissions right after start up (or so I'm told). The rest of the time, they do nothing except add more restriction to your intake. And it was really only a California emission requirement but BMW elected not to make a CA model and a 49 state model, so we all got the charcoal filters even though our states and the federal emission standards did not require them. So living in Florida, you are probably not even breaking the law by removing them.

Sound (intake) seems to be rather uneffected by BMC filters, charcoal deletes and addition of RPi scoops. If there is a difference, it is slight enough that most don't notice. Be careful with cone filters if they are not in a sealed intake box (like the stock setup). Some cone filter setups dispense with the sealed box and can draw in hot under hood air which reduces power with a warm engine.

1 - 20 of 81 Posts