BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Folks,
I'm looking into adding better amplification to the stock audio system on my 00. Anyone out there been there and done that?

Where did you put the amp, behind the seats, on the underside of the rear dash, ??

What type of amplification did you use?

Did you replace speakers?

Have you added subs?

------------------
-hank
00 Lamans Blue
Dinan Stage III Suspension
Dinan Software Upgrade
Dinan Exhaust
Dinan Strut Braces

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by hank:
Folks,
I'm looking into adding better amplification to the stock audio system on my 00. Anyone out there been there and done that?

Where did you put the amp, behind the seats, on the underside of the rear dash, ??

What type of amplification did you use?

Did you replace speakers?

Have you added subs? Why ??? The stock system already sounds GREAT ! After all, it's a 4 door sports car not a concert hall.

------------------

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,096 Posts
Originally posted by Parkerfe:

The stock system does not sound great, it really sucks.

The problem is not soundlevelbut the sound itself. It totally lack deep bass which is essential in all kinds of music, the bass that is there sounds hollow and the treble is harsh. It could be so much better.

/Johan

/Johan

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Johan,
Needless to say I agree with you.

My feeling is that better amplification will improve the tonal quality by providing a cleaner signal. Additionally, I'm wondering about subwoofer input to the system. I'm not looking for that thumping boom box but rather deep, rich bass that extends the systems fullness.

Any experience with aftermarket work?

·
Registered
14 Posts
Although I posted this before, my brother just bought himself a 540i, and did the following to his stereo system. He kept the head unit, so he would retain the functionality of the steering wheel controls, but added a/d/s speakers in place of the stock speakers, removed the tweeters that are located on the rear passenger doors, and added a subwoofer in the back.

The new amplifier (sony, I believe - macintosh was too expensive) was added into the compartment that houses the CD changer (it was a tight fit), while the amp for the sub was placed on the sub enclosure itself. The sub was added to the rear, thereby reducing trunk space by about a fifth, and the installer cut an opening on the rear shelf, but he added a grill that matches the color of the interior, making it look stock. Unfortunately, I don't know the brand for the sub. The sound is pretty amazing - I heard a violin section, and it was as if I was in the concert hall.

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
The problem is not so much the amp. This is a common misconception. The problem really does lie in the speakers themselves. they just arent that good!

The preamp section: the head unit and cd player/ phone/ nav system is too intertwined to change and I wouldnt want to do that- and I cant tell if the sound out of this is really that bad- its probably more than adequate.

so the first thing you want to address is the actual problem which is the speakers. You can do this 1 of two ways. The cheaper way is to find speakers that have similar electrical characteristics as those youre replacing, therefore you wont need a new amplifier. The 2nd way is to add a new amplifier plus new speakers. What Id try is replacing the speakers in the front, leaving the tweeters in the rear doors, using them at a very low level for some filler and replacing the bass speakers in the rear- you might need extra amplification for those.

ME

·
Registered
2,136 Posts
I took delivery of my Imola Red M5 in June of this year, and immediately removed the POS (Piece of S___) sub from the factory. In its place my installer custom manufactured a new subwoofer deck which just mounted directly under the rear deck where the factory sub enclosure once was. The new underdeck is made of 3/4" pressboard with carpeting to match the interior space of my trunk. Mounted to this are 2 10" Kicker free-air subs powered by a Precision Power 2X100 amp in bridge mode. There was absolutely no cutting on the car. It simply replaced the stock unit... utilizing the factory vents to the interior compartment.

Then, the installer placed a very small obscure black rubber-tipped gain control knob on that little plastic insert in the dash just behind the steering wheel. If I don't point it out, you would never know it was there! This allows me to adjust the bass gain control at will depending on the music.

For now, this is all I did to my mostly stock sound system. This made a DRAMATIC improvement in overall sound quality, as the stock sub unit was total crap!

I would like to hear from others of you that have taken this further to replace the stock amp with a new one... My understanding from my installer is that if you go this route (which would of course net a much better overall sound system) you would lose the DSP function because he said each and every speaker has its input coming from separate sections of the amp after the DSP function. This presents a problem for installing an aftermarket amp.

Any thoughts on this from others who have actually replaced the factory amp.

If you have?, I would like to know if you still have access to your DSP function? or did you just do away with it? Also, do you still have the volume controls on the steering wheel?

TIA!

Andy M.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Trax,
The exhaust upgrade is the only item that dinan produces currently that enhances hp. I think it produces 4 - 6 hp not much of a change on a 400 hp engine, 1.5%.

The dinan website provides a great description of each of their upgrades. Even thought the hp improvements are nominal, the upgrades are worth every penny in terms of ride and increased power curve smoothness.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts