1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
JRCM5 said:
Anybody put aftermarket seats in your M5? What Kind

Thanks

Jack
I was thinking about it but then decided that i like having all of the fun electric stuff, so i am going to get mine rebuilt, have seat heaters added, maybe some kinda adjustable lumbar support, and then rewrapped in alcantara.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I was thinking about it but then decided that i like having all of the fun electric stuff, so i am going to get mine rebuilt, have seat heaters added, maybe some kinda adjustable lumbar support, and then rewrapped in alcantara.

Where do you get alcantara? And how much is it?

thanks
Jack<!-- / message -->

·
Registered
900 Posts
It's a little expensive because they over price it here, but in europe its dirt cheap. Problem is, then you have to pay for sipping wich brings the price back up. I havnt ordered any yet because I'm not ready to do this at this time but I did a search on bimmerforums because I remember there being a thread about buying bulk alcantara. Some people get it at local fabric shops, or you can try www.gulffabrics.com or go to www.bimmerforums.com and do a search. I am possetive they have a thread on it I just dont have the time to find it right now. Ill be sure to post it up when I get mine done though.

·
Registered
162 Posts
JRCM5 said:
Anybody put aftermarket seats in your M5? What Kind

Thanks

Jack
Jack,

Why would you want to replace the factory recaro seats (they're about as good as you're going to get.)

Garcia

·
Registered
176 Posts
Garcia said:
Jack,

Why would you want to replace the factory recaro seats (they're about as good as you're going to get.)

Garcia
Weight and support. If you started doing things like adding in seat warmers and adjustable lumbar like specracem5 is talking about, those suckers are gonna be able to weigh down as boat anchors for carriers. The M5 is already heavy enough as it is. Plus the aftermarket Sparco's and Recaros have some pretty beefy supports that will certainly keep you glued to your seat, so to speak.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Originally Posted by Garcia
Jack,

Garcia

Garcia,

I like the factory seats but I am not a big leather fan. If I could find factory cloth saets that would be perfict.

Jack

·
Registered
162 Posts
JRCM5 said:
Originally Posted by Garcia
Jack,

Garcia

Garcia,

I like the factory seats but I am not a big leather fan. If I could find factory cloth saets that would be perfict.

Jack
Jack,

Leather is great, but most leather doesn't hold up well over time (M5 seats seems to be doing quite well for their age), my red M5 (1995) has red and black cloth seats (red artistic inserts with black alcantra siding) very unusual and definitely cool in the summer, OUCH for leather during the summer.

Garcia

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I love the black leather my car has, but one thing I have noticed is that you slide about quite a bit more. Daily driving isn`t an issue, but when I went to Rockingham last year, it was a problem compared to other cars with cloth seats. They held you in much better.

Ivan.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Garcia said:
Jack,

Leather is great, but most leather doesn't hold up well over time (M5 seats seems to be doing quite well for their age), my red M5 (1995) has red and black cloth seats (red artistic inserts with black alcantra siding) very unusual and definitely cool in the summer, OUCH for leather during the summer.

Garcia
Garcia,

red and black cloth seats - that must be a rare combo. Do you see many cloth seat M5's where you are?

Jack

1 - 12 of 12 Posts