BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
Nope. The S85 uses two fuel pumps pulse-width controlled by the DME. It would be cheaper to replace the stock DME with a Motec and get it working (and thats $10k easy) than to get the stock DME and wiring modified to control aftermarket pumps properly.

·
Registered
636 Posts
Nope. The S85 uses two fuel pumps pulse-width controlled by the DME. It would be cheaper to replace the stock DME with a Motec and get it working (and thats $10k easy) than to get the stock DME and wiring modified to control aftermarket pumps properly.
J, I find this hard to believe.

the DME Should be able to control the fuel pumps w/o issue as long as there wired in correctly

an AEM infinity-10 (miles ahead of the Motec offering) is about $3500 and it Replaces the BMW DME...Tuning it is NOT 5K and a custom wiring harness is also not 2k

so yes it can be done.

we have done it on the S54 M3 and the S65 Platforms...i think no one has tried it for the S85 platform but its not very different

Question for the OP is why do you feel you need a HP fuel pump? just upgrading the fuel pump alone wont help much until your certain the injectors can flow more.

whats your goal or thought process behind the "why"?

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
I have been down this road with my build and the two fuel pump and DME was a bit of a hurdle, the cost I was given to go with either an auxiliary pump and a custom fuel line was a little out of my budget at the time. I think I was quoted 5k total but nowhere near 10k.

I may still end up having to do this later next year once I push more power as the fuel issue may be my next hurdle.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
I have been down this road with my build and the two fuel pump and DME was a bit of a hurdle, the cost I was given to go with either an auxiliary pump and a custom fuel line was a little out of my budget at the time. I think I was quoted 5k total but nowhere near 10k.

I may still end up having to do this later next year once I push more power as the fuel issue may be my next hurdle.

Yeah, I made a poorly educated guess. I'm surprised it's not more though given the conversion from a variable duty cycle system and the changes in fueling parameters that would have to occur in the DME.

·
Registered
5,673 Posts
J, I find this hard to believe.

the DME Should be able to control the fuel pumps w/o issue as long as there wired in correctly

an AEM infinity-10 (miles ahead of the Motec offering) is about $3500 and it Replaces the BMW DME...Tuning it is NOT 5K and a custom wiring harness is also not 2k

so yes it can be done.

we have done it on the S54 M3 and the S65 Platforms...i think no one has tried it for the S85 platform but its not very different

Question for the OP is why do you feel you need a HP fuel pump? just upgrading the fuel pump alone wont help much until your certain the injectors can flow more.

whats your goal or thought process behind the "why"?

A bit OT, but why do you feel the AEM is superior to the M1 series? AFAIK, there hasn't been a single S85 run on the infinity yet and only one S65 under development that I know of. AEM hasn't announced an "application" yet for either engine and aren't really keen on opening up the development software for anyone else to do it. At least with the M1 series, M1 build software, and a development license, you can program whatever you like.

I've been researching standalones for the S85 for a couple of months and have looked at ViPEC, M1, AEM, MS3, as well as modifying the mss65. So far I keep coming back to the M1 since it has the greatest potential to eventually make use of the ionic control and oil sensor as well as an already established S85 history.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
When you have upwards of a million invested to field a 24-hrs Le Mans effort MoTec is what is relied on to make it to the end.

When you invest your life into experimental aircraft, MoTec is the choice (few quibble over the couple grand extra) to get you back on the ground (in spite of multi sensor failures)

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
My only question would be why upgrade the system unless you feel that it is inadequate for your needs :confused:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts