BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I'm having the occasional thuds in gears and sometimes when leaving from first it feels like I got bumped from behind. I do not have clutch chadder and believe my clutch is fine. I have 50k on the car now and would just like to know what I should do. Are the other parts along with the clutch bearing I should replace while I'm there? Is there a sticky on this? Thank you guys

·
Registered
431 Posts
This is normal behavior generally. Try an SMG reset. This often helps. (Get to a speed over 40 mph, shift to neutral, hold both shift paddles back for 10 seconds. Shift back into drive)

·
Registered
431 Posts
I mean normal in that most if not all early E60 M5s exhibit this problem. It is caused by the throwout bearing binding as it moves. You can replace the bearing if you want to, and you should when you get a new clutch. However you can relieve the symptoms quite a bit with the SMG reset.

·
Registered
431 Posts
I believe the the factory ones are now lubricated correctly and work fine. You may want to wait till you have to open up everything to replace the clutch.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts