BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
E60 M5 2006
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well - this has been a long time in the making.

Back in 2012, I was shopping for an Interlagos Blue E60 M5 with plans to move to California. Life circumstances changed my plans and I stayed in Canada. Ended up getting an E92 M3 and forgetting about the V10.

I got my 2nd E92 M3 back in 2018 after a short stint in a Porsche Cayman, and as I complete my M3 V8 project - I felt like now was the right time in my personal life to get a V10 M5. The market has changed in a decade: good cars are getting rarer than ever and the market is as depressed as it's ever been on these it seems.

The Canadian market for E60 M5s is particularly strange, with many of these being found in Alberta, aka Former Oil Country. It's an easy correlation to make eh!

Unfortunately, it seems many of these cars are now onto 4th, 5th and up owners, with too many cars being owned for a year and then changing hands.

Maintenance records are tough if not impossible to find for the entire history of the vehicle. The majority of these owners are unaware of the main issues for these cars and all pretend they're doing fine.

It all makes buying these cars a difficult & painful experience.

Well, I persevered.

I found Hatim's M5 on Kijiji and he had records, all of them. The SMG clutch and bearing had recently been changed, along with the high pressure oil pump and throttle actuators. Rod bearings are still OE, but at 120,000km, I'll take care of them shortly.

I had the car fully inspected by a shop I know in the area, and it checked out with high marks outside of new rear tires needed soon.

Typical of these : )

I finally completed payment today. I was hoping I could drive the M5 on a maiden voyage as I did with the E92 M3 I bought in BC 3 years ago - but unfortunately current public health measures prohibit it. The car was dropped off at the Terminal for shipping cross country to Montreal.

The countdown begins: 2 weeks until it's here.

I'm excited to finally join the S85 family and I intend to keep this car for a long time, if not forever. There is something timeless about these.

The Sepang Bronze color and wood interior trim were certainly not my number one choice, but I have specific plans for this M5 to modernize certain areas, and simplify others.

I'm hopeful I'll be able to help cast a better light on the E60 M5 using EuroConnex and get brands & manufacturers to support us again.

Feel free to follow me on IG @M3_epoustouflant - I know, I'll have to change that username soon.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Welcome to the board and welcome to the V10 world!

Always nice to see someone looking to commit to the platform - as you say, too many of these cars are being bought by ballers on a budget and sent to scrappers/dismantlers as tortured machines.

Had mine for 8 years now and a well maintained car even with higher mileage can be just fine.

·
Registered
279 Posts
Congrats bud

Reactions: Epoustouflant

·
Registered
IB DinanS2++ e60m5 6MT, Dogleg s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,648 Posts
Welcome to the v10 club! Congrats and looking forward to your build!

·
Registered
295 Posts
Welcome, congrats on the purchase! Many on here intend and have kept their V10 for a long while. Everyone here understands the vehicle and how not to be scared of issues. You’ll love it!

2010 E60 M5 • Space Grey

·
Premium Member
2008 E60 M5 Dinan S2+
474 Posts
A man after my own heart! CONGRATULATIONS AND AWESOME COLOR CHOICE!! :) My M5 was also a decade in the making. I first fell in love with my buddy's M5 10 years ago...and I pledged to own one some day. I made it happen last year and I couldn't be happier.

Mine:

·
Registered
320 Posts
A man after my own heart! CONGRATULATIONS AND AWESOME COLOR CHOICE!! :) My M5 was also a decade in the making. I first fell in love with my buddy's M5 10 years ago...and I pledged to own one some day. I made it happen last year and I couldn't be happier.

Mine:

View attachment 951595
Is there a lot of post-processing on this or is the paint that nice??

·
Premium Member
2008 E60 M5 Dinan S2+
474 Posts
Is there a lot of post-processing on this or is the paint that nice??
The paint is really that nice. I used to run a very high end detail business....most of my clientele were private collections. The previous owner took really good care of the paint. This picture, I took with my Samsung Galaxy S9+. I ran auto correct on it but that's it. Also...that day or the day before...she had just got a full detail in and out. Paint was buffed and everything. :) Plus, the beauty of taking pics indoors...under fluorescent lighting.....I know a few things about photography as well.....but she really does look like she's dripping paint when she's clean.

Reactions: Garfunkgrin

·
Premium Member
2008 E60 M5 Dinan S2+
474 Posts
Reactions: Garfunkgrin

·
Registered
1,191 Posts
Youll love it
A mis understood car sometimes
You bought the big daddy of cars!

·
Premium Member
2008 E60 M5 Dinan S2+
474 Posts
150-250 kph is a take off adrenaline rush.
For those of us dumb amuricans on the Imperial system... LOL. That's 93mph - 155mph. :) Oh and 2nd that...the pull at those speeds is

or

Reactions: platii
1 - 20 of 23 Posts