BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok I did a search several times and couldn't find anything recent on this so here it goes. It's time to replace my aging S02's. I need something that's a good (but not necessarily great) in performance, comfortable, good tread life, and can run all year long in Socal (no snow). The car is my daily driver. I have fun with it but I don't take it to the track nor do I rip around a curve at 90mph.

Anyone else in this boat with a tire recommendation?

Any thoughts on these?
Bridgestone RE760 Sport
RE960AS Pole Position
Pzero Nero M&S
Sumitomo HTR Z III (super cheap)

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
Go with Toyo Proxes or Goodyear gsd3's...
Ok I did a search several times and couldn't find anything recent on this so here it goes. It's time to replace my aging S02's. I need something that's a good (but not necessarily great) in performance, comfortable, good tread life, and can run all year long in Socal (no snow). The car is my daily driver. I have fun with it but I don't take it to the track nor do I rip around a curve at 90mph.

Anyone else in this boat with a tire recommendation?

Any thoughts on these?
Bridgestone RE760 Sport
RE960AS Pole Position
Pzero Nero M&S
Sumitomo HTR Z III (super cheap)

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
I've got Contisports willing to let go...pm if interested

·
Registered
8,153 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Stock sizes? What type of treadlife do you want?

·
Registered
295 Posts
I like my Pirelli P-Zero Nero M&S's.
Good combination of performance, wet weather traction, long life, and reasonable price.

Al. Wise

·
Registered
691 Posts
Not sure your definition of affordable, but I have been pretty happy with my Potenza RE 050s and I just came off of a set of S-02s as well. Seem to handle pretty well and I am told that they will wear much better than the S-02s. I have also been noticing them on much more "pedestrian" BMW models as well, so I don't believe they are at the tail of the performance bell curve . . . KH

·
Registered
327 Posts
I just went with RE-050A's on my 2000 M5 that I just bought because the Goodyear F1s on it were totally shot (and out of round to boot). I'm real happy with the RE-050A's and I drive much like you do (daily driver in Bay Area, need good dry and wet traction, quiet, etc.). In standard sizes, they have the regular RE-050A for the rear and the RE-050A Pole Position for the front. I didn't mind having the rears be a little harder compound given my right foot and the normal higher wear in the rears.

We've also got these on my wife's E46 330i and they've been great for her (slimilar driving profile).

The only thing I can't comment on is tread life. I only drive ~8K a year, so I wasn't too concerned with tread life. The RE-050As do have a pretty low treadwear index, but they've been wearing fine on the wife's 330i so far.

Price was about $100 a set less than PS2's, so it's not the cheapest tire, but right up near the top in most performance categories.

·
Registered
327 Posts
Another idea would be Kumho Ecsta SPT. I put a set of thse on my E36 M3 that I just sold when getting the M5, and for the time I drove them, they were pretty much what you are looking for. Also near the lower end of the price range. This is the middle of the three Kumho models in terms of agressiveness of the tread pattern design.

Worth checking out if you're looking to save some bucks.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Like MPowrd said, I have the Kumho Ecsta something or other as well, and they were the cheapest from the dealer!! So you can find them at an even better price if you can wait; I couldn't I had two flats, long story.

·
Registered
167 Posts
oTires are so subjective. I see comments for the Sumi's, the Kumho's, even Falkens. After doing literally months of research, these are all the worst rated tires from professional reviews.

The problem is that so many consumers go from a worn tire to a new one, and it seems great. It becomes very difficult to really rate these tires on a truly subjective basis. You'd have to literally go out and drive each tire one after another on the same car on the same day.

The only place that does that regularly is www.tirerack.com. They use a 3 series for testing.

The thing to go is go to this link: http://www.tirerack.com/tires/surveyresults/surveydisplay.jsp?type=MP

And look at what's available and what you want to spend. Really, I don't intend this to be inflamatory to anyone here, but pick based off of objective professional review. It's easy to say things like "nothing is better" when you haven't tried others in the same circumstances.

Edit: Oh, and you don't have to buy from TireRack. They have great prices, but these are tires you can find locally as well.

·
Registered
167 Posts
The price is very low. But consider their comparison:
The Sumi's compared to the Dunlop Z1's, Bridgestone RE-01R, Bridgestone 050A's, Contisport 3, Goodyear GSD3's, the Michellin PS2, and the Pirelli PZero.

The Sumi's had the highest stopping distance of any of the tires. Both wet and dry. Especially in the wet. The best braking distance in wet was the PZero's at 87.1 feet. The Sumi's were a MASSIVE 106.9 feet. The average being about 97ish. That's 10 feet difference!

The Sumi's were also rated as the loudest in real world driving. Their real world handling was 2nd lowest. While ride comfort was merely average.

It's a cheap tire, and it's really hard to ignore that point. But you get what you pay for.

·
Registered
622 Posts
The price is very low. But consider their comparison:
The Sumi's compared to the Dunlop Z1's, Bridgestone RE-01R, Bridgestone 050A's, Contisport 3, Goodyear GSD3's, the Michellin PS2, and the Pirelli PZero.

The Sumi's had the highest stopping distance of any of the tires. Both wet and dry. Especially in the wet. The best braking distance in wet was the PZero's at 87.1 feet. The Sumi's were a MASSIVE 106.9 feet. The average being about 97ish. That's 10 feet difference!

The Sumi's were also rated as the loudest in real world driving. Their real world handling was 2nd lowest. While ride comfort was merely average.

It's a cheap tire, and it's really hard to ignore that point. But you get what you pay for.

I just dont see it being that bad..The tire is super quiet and braking seems very good. Wet traction will be tested this afternoon. Ride is equal to my old PS2s.

1 - 20 of 49 Posts