BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was going to be the guinea pig for the AFE Super Stock intake (drop-ins) and scoops but they are back-ordered for 2-3 months! I know there are a few of them out there but does anyone have any actual dyno numbers yet? I've seen threads on where "dyno #'s are coming" but thats all the further it goes. Any info or leads? Anyone?

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
I wouldn't do it. The aFe intakes were tested and showed a loss in power and as you can see from my last post on that thread ehaze referenced, Eurotuner tested their intakes and exhaust on an E90 M3 on aFe's own dyno and didn't see any gains at all. aFe said it was probably problem with their dyno but if that was the case and if you were them, would you want to have the problem fixed and the car tested again before the article was published?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the ebay link!

The review done I believe is the AFE Stage 2 setup (open element style). The one I'm looking for results from in just the drop-in filters (utilizes factory boxes) with the scoops. Thanks again!

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Thanks for the ebay link!

The review done I believe is the AFE Stage 2 setup (open element style). The one I'm looking for results from in just the drop-in filters (utilizes factory boxes) with the scoops. Thanks again!
The system that was tested on the M3 also utilizes the factory air box with a new intake tube and their filter but it still didn't produce any gains in that test.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I certainly believe the results of the tests done, meaning no gain..... but its kind of hard to believe that the RPI scoops and BMC filters makes a relatively significant gain and this wouldn't. They both have scoops, they both have better flowing filters over stock which are contained in the factory air boxes and the AFE system actually comes with smooth tubes to replace the factory 'baffled' units...there's also been a slight debate about the surface area being larger on the AFE filters vs the BMC panel filters. I know that the majority of the gain is from the scoops and of course a higher flow filter (should, in most cases) produce better results over the factory filters. That being said, I'm also finding it hard to believe that this particular AFE system couldn't gain the same or similar results as the RPI/BMC setup. Thoughts?

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
I understand your logic and I'd be inclined to feel the same way if it wasn't for the actual test results. As for the filters, I've heard that you can't ram air into a conical filter the same way you can to a panel filter.

·
Registered
7,366 Posts
Propaganda...

Buy the AFE setup, dyno it, and report back.

If it sucks, toss it on eBay.
How is it propaganda when it was tested by a magazine at aFe's own facility using their dyno and dyno operators? And aFe is also an advertising sponsor of that magazine? :confused:

Reactions: ehaze

·
Registered
190 Posts
I completely agree with your logic - it makes a great deal of sense. I find it surprising that no dyno figures (at least none that I've seen) exist for this setup, and people keep pointing back to the controversial AFE open-air cone filter thread. If performance is similar to the RPI combo (and I think it will be), it would be nice to give people a choice.

Someone like JLeviSW, as an authorized AFE reseller... i think it would be in your best interest to throw this setup on a stock E60 on a dyno to show this - there is no reason to think the super stock package won't perform similarly to the bmc/rpi combo, and you'll move a lot of units in the process.

I certainly believe the results of the tests done, meaning no gain..... but its kind of hard to believe that the RPI scoops and BMC filters makes a relatively significant gain and this wouldn't. They both have scoops, they both have better flowing filters over stock which are contained in the factory air boxes and the AFE system actually comes with smooth tubes to replace the factory 'baffled' units...there's also been a slight debate about the surface area being larger on the AFE filters vs the BMC panel filters. I know that the majority of the gain is from the scoops and of course a higher flow filter (should, in most cases) produce better results over the factory filters. That being said, I'm also finding it hard to believe that this particular AFE system couldn't gain the same or similar results as the RPI/BMC setup. Thoughts?

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
3,394 Posts
For what it's worth, we went through a HUGE number of designs before we came to our current one. Many of them would lose power, wouldn't make a difference, or would only change the power by a few hp. We have boxes and BOXES full of pre-production designs that we went through. We spent many many hours dynoing with various fan distances, as well as time on the road. Even small changes in the angle or curvature of the scoop would yield reproducable differences when put through vigorous testing.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not making any assumptions or statements as to the R&D man hours put into this by our competitors for their products. However, in terms of our products, and especially for this specific vehicle, it took a huge investment in design time and testing to arrive at the power gains for the RPi scoops.

·
Registered
489 Posts
For what it's worth, we went through a HUGE number of designs before we came to our current one. Many of them would lose power, wouldn't make a difference, or would only change the power by a few hp. We have boxes and BOXES full of pre-production designs that we went through. We spent many many hours dynoing with various fan distances, as well as time on the road. Even small changes in the angle or curvature of the scoop would yield reproducable differences when put through vigorous testing.

Please don't get me wrong. I'm not making any assumptions or statements as to the R&D man hours put into this by our competitors for their products. However, in terms of our products, and especially for this specific vehicle, it took a huge investment in design time and testing to arrive at the power gains for the RPi scoops.
So you didn't just bend some metal and paint it? ;)

People always fail to realize that real performance comes from hours of work and research. BMW Engineers are no dummies they know how to extract power it is not always easy to improve performance on these cars.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts