BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 141 Posts

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I volunteered myself to be the guinea pig for the new AFE intake for the E60 M5 :3:. So the day came today and I headed to RPI to see what this thing was all about. I was told over and over again that it wouldn’t make power, in fact, I would actually lose power since it is not a sealed box and all it would be sucking in would be air that is warmer than ambient from the engine bay. I had an AFE intake on my E46 M3 that I really liked, so I decided to take the plunge and see what it had to offer on the dyno!
<o></o>
List of engine mods:
RPI Scoops
BMC Filters
Charcoal Filters removed
Supersprint X-pipe
Dinan Exhaust
<o></o>
Install:
Install was a relative pain in the a$s. Eloy from RPI discovered a few issues (which we worked around) and we got it done in about 2.5 hours, which was much longer than expected. This was definitely attributed to QC issues on AFE’s part. Nothing major, just annoyances that translated into some improvisation.
<o></o>
Dyno:
We did a few baseline pulls to see where we were starting from. These were disappointing, but that’s for another post. At least we had something to go off of.
I have attached the dyno so you can see.
005= setup as listed above – hood closed
006= AFE Intake – RPI Scoops "blocked" – hood closed
008= AFE Intake – RPI Scoops – hood closed
010= AFE Intake – RPI Scoops – hood open
<o></o>
As you can see, my baseline was low to begin with. I’ll work on that this week. But there is a clear drop in RWHP with the AFE Intake compared to the baseline run. The drop is in the 20-25+ range!!!! Even with the hood open, the AFE loses big power throughout the midrange of the power band until almost 7000 rpms where it matches and barely goes higher than stock.
<o></o>
Outcome:
I’m definitely making a change – back to stock intake – or possibly Dinan. I will be returning the AFE and expect a full refund considering this proof that their product is worthless!! One of the main reasons that I got the intake was for the additional sound from the engine. Funny thing is that I cant even tell the difference in sound!!! Driving home from RPI, I could definitely feel the difference in power from my previous setup. It sucks!
<o></o>
This product gets an F------ (that’s an F minus minus minus minus minus minus)
<o></o>
<o></o>
Oh well, it was fun to meet everyone at RPI! :applause:
<o></o>
<o>

</o>

·
Registered
1,471 Posts
We were discussing your baseline and a few of us had the idea that perhaps your SS X-Pipe was the culprit for the lower baseline. I think Eloy may have a stock sec 2 laying around his shop. If your tubes are clamped on, perhaps it can be a quick swap to see if you get some back with the stock sec 2.

The AFE's, though, should be refunded to you incl shipping both ways. :grrrrr:
Either way, best of luck with the Dinan's. I read good things as well.

·
Registered
8,153 Posts
I was there aswell and was surprise with the baseline dyno (to begin with) of Avi8tir...hope you get it sorted out...meanwhile EM 5 dyno'd at 412 rwhp with hi RPI setup...

·
Registered
459 Posts
AV8tr, you should also check out the CAI system just released from ASR. It looks like it is the business, and even Eloy commented how their data, R&D, and attention to detail are top notch. I am seriously thinking about this mod.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I was there as well and initially thought that maybe the dyno got too grumpy like the RPI owner as always:hihi: . Good to see the old/new faces.:cheers::cheers:cherrsagaicherrsagaicherrsagaicherrsagai

Then after Avi8tir left around noon, EM_5 dyno his car with RPI scoop and RPI section3 and get 412whp. So, I feel sorry for Avi8tir what he has been through. First time I dyno'd on RPI's dyno dynamic, I got 390ish stock and couldn't sleep for a weekyawnnnn

Definitely recommend to put back just stock resonator and dyno again. I'm sure Eloy will gladly help you get your hp back to what it suppose to be 380-390ish whp stock(CF removal) and 400+ with scoop.

:cheers:

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
AV8tr, you should also check out the CAI system just released from ASR. It looks like it is the business, and even Eloy commented how their data, R&D, and attention to detail are top notch. I am seriously thinking about this mod.
get it, E. Me and other will chime in $$ for dyno session:7:

·
Registered
1,247 Posts
Thank you Avi8tir for putting your neck out for us. We're really sorry for the disappointment. I hope you do get a full refund. Best of luck.

·
Registered
483 Posts
sorry about your experience ! hope you will be able to make it up with some other CAI. good luck and pls keep us up to date. If I was you I would probably check on ASR's products if your still interested in some extra horses.

·
Registered
847 Posts
Thanks for helping out felow board members. ps i know it was a pain in the ***** but once again thanks for your :1zhelp:

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
The numbers for the afe are very similar to the K&N Typhoon. I think the
results aren't too surprising. The one thing we are missing with this type
of setup is the vbox road numbers or a car vs car comparison. There are
many that still swear that the setup will provide gains on the road. I
suspect there would be gains (perhaps small) at high speed when
the scoops are included. If you can design a more clever air flow system
for an open system like this you might find even more gains.

It's hard to say which intake system is the best. If I had to go with an
intake I'd probably choose Dinan's with the RPi scoops. I don't really
think it's worth the +2k they are asking but it's the closest thing to
stock. One theme that I'm seeing is that most stock components seem
to be well designed...the M guys do know what they are doing and they
didn't toss things together willy-nilly (see headers, ecu, midsection).

ASR's offering does seem promising but I'm not a big fan of the look.
Perhaps that could change if I saw it in person and saw it on a dyno.

Avi8tir, you shouldn't get too discouraged from Saturday. Some of the
fun of modding is discovering what works and what doesn't work. From
what I recall we had not seen a dyno of the ss x-pipe with the Dinan
exhaust and we had no dynos of the AFE intake vs the Typhoon.

Perhaps the next hard decision you need to make is whether you want
to stick with the x-pipe or try something different.

·
Registered
7,327 Posts
Disappointing results to say the least.

Avi8tir, if you do end up getting the Dinan or ASR CAI, would you mind doing another dyno session for us to see the results?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I don't think the SS X-pipe caused a lower baseline. Discussion?
Unfortunately we don't have a dyno without the x-pipe. What we do
know is that the numbers were around 30hp lower than expected.
Another car dynoed the same day with just RPi section 3, stock midsection, and scoops/bmc/carbon filter delete at 412.

We've definitely seen custom exhaust setups lose a lot of power and I
think it's perhaps reasonable to think that mixing different exhaust
components from different companies can lead to bad results. Basis of
this thinking being that a company can only optimize for their own flow
characteristics.

It's possible that something else might be going on with the
car. Perhaps an exhaust leak? Perhaps a really weak car? The only
way we can know is if avi8tir goes back to a stock section 2. Certainly
a variable that should be considered is the x-pipe. Whether it's the
true reason is unclear.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
I don't think the SS X-pipe caused a lower baseline. Discussion?
I remember vaguely, so don't quote me on that....On one incident, RPI has dyno..
section 3 alone-> gain hp.
Section1+2+3-> gain hp.
Section1+3->gain hp.
Section 2+3->lose hp.
Section1+2+stock 3->gain hp.

Hopefully RPI can chime in on this.

When you fix/match from different sections/diff manufacturers? Anything could happen.

Avi8tir, I think you should check for exhaust leak first, then put back stock resonator, then dyno. That should verify a lot of thing. I'm going back to RPI this friday to dyno. Let me know if you can make it.

·
Registered
655 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Ok guys, I think I am going to take the plunge and get the Dinan mid-section this week. its too much of a pain in the a$s to do all of this swapping around back to stock and so on. I was thinking about doing this anyways, so now is as good a time as ever.

Keang, if I can have it completed in time, I will be there on Friday to dyno.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
If you go I wanna dyno my car as well :M5rev:

1 - 20 of 141 Posts