BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
try to search online but looks like very few results

i got the afe stage 2 intake today and spends 4hr to install it.
1st start engine speed up and down from like 100 to 500 up and down then stall after around 10 sec
restarted engine again still 100 to 500 for like 5 sec and back to 800 stable.
next i saw error code reduced engine power and limited at 7k and increased emission

anyone has any idea or similar problem after install any brand of CAI?
I already email Sal at evolve and see if i can pull out the ecu log for them to check

btw my car is 2010, 11000 miles.

-------------------follow up--------------------

installed the connecting pipes/tubes backward and MAF backward also.
reinstall it and reduced engine power error code went away but increased emission still there

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I was under the impression that the AFE intakes were not a useful modification for the S85-heat soak. There has been a ton of stuff posted.
Sorry-Bill

·
8,369 Posts
If you do a search here you will see posts from members that didnt have very good luck with AFE intake.....

Hence the reason I went with RPI air scoops.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah I have bmc+ rpi scoops before and just want to try and see afe intake. But never thought there will be a problem

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Did you re-install th MAF's properly? There is really no other reason you should run into a problem installing this intake. Make sure you double check everything. My guess is you didn't connect something correctly.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Did you re-install th MAF's properly? There is really no other reason you should run into a problem installing this intake. Make sure you double check everything. My guess is you didn't connect something correctly.
i was thinking i installed the connecting pipe between filter and manifold back ward. enlarge afe pdf graph and yes i install it backward.
so MAF is backward also, just reinstall both pipes and now reduced engine power is gone. but increase emission still there.
stupid me lol

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
i was thinking i installed the connecting pipe between filter and manifold back ward. enlarge afe pdf graph and yes i install it backward.
so MAF is backward also, just reinstall both pipes and now reduced engine power is gone. but increase emission still there.
stupid me lol
Run it for at least 100 miles to see if the increased emissions stays on. If so take it in and have the codes pulled. My guess is you will have that code turn off as well. There are many people that have run that intake without any problems. Dont worry about it yet. Most of the RPI fan boys will tell you that you will suffer from massive heat soak and loss of power, take the time to judge for yourself. Im running a CAI and the only time ive seen any heat soak is on a very hot summer day in traffic. Otherwise it wont be a problem.:applause:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Run it for at least 100 miles to see if the increased emissions stays on. If so take it in and have the codes pulled. My guess is you will have that code turn off as well. There are many people that have run that intake without any problems. Dont worry about it yet. Most of the RPI fan boys will tell you that you will suffer from massive heat soak and loss of power, take the time to judge for yourself. Im running a CAI and the only time ive seen any heat soak is on a very hot summer day in traffic. Otherwise it wont be a problem.:applause:
thank you, i will see what happen after 100 miles later if code gone.
i have RPI scoops too and i know aFe and K&N CAI might have heat soak problem.
just want to see if there is any different between CAI and stock air box with BMC.

·
Registered
2,174 Posts
Good. I'm running RPI scoops and a Jaws CAI and it's a great combo. The sound the intake makes is really cool as well. Have fun with it!!

·
Registered
273 Posts
I looked through a bunch of old threads on CAI's here and could never find anyone with evidence of gains made and more than a few that lost HP. Because of that and the fact that scoops could be used in tandem, I ordered some an RPI kit. I know that the physics make it difficult to see dyno results for an intake, but you see them with scoops. Also, the intake manufacturers claim a dyno proven HP gain, so why is it difficult to find evidence?

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I looked through a bunch of old threads on CAI's here and could never find anyone with evidence of gains made and more than a few that lost HP. Because of that and the fact that scoops could be used in tandem, I ordered some an RPI kit. I know that the physics make it difficult to see dyno results for an intake, but you see them with scoops. Also, the intake manufacturers claim a dyno proven HP gain, so why is it difficult to find evidence?
well, i am the guy that i want to test it myself. like i go for straight pipe and dyno found out lost HP.
plus there is no real evidence that show who lost HP. also someone post on forum.
i see lots people talk about cai has heat soak problem but when speed is over 20 to 30 mph, there should not have this problem because cold air continues pushes in from front and because the air flow, heat will push out to rear.
don't even mention when speed reaches 50 and up.
RPi scoops is something that everyone must have that is for sure. I am also thinking maybe block the bottom tunnel where air to break and redirect air to intake.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Reactions: kendall993

·
Registered
273 Posts
well, i am the guy that i want to test it myself. like i go for straight pipe and dyno found out lost HP.
plus there is no real evidence that show who lost HP. also someone post on forum.
i see lots people talk about cai has heat soak problem but when speed is over 20 to 30 mph, there should not have this problem because cold air continues pushes in from front and because the air flow, heat will push out to rear.
don't even mention when speed reaches 50 and up.
RPi scoops is something that everyone must have that is for sure. I am also thinking maybe block the bottom tunnel where air to break and redirect air to intake.

I applaud you and hope you share your results, then. I wish I could but it's not really feasible for me to do trial and error, it would drag out many months. I personally, would love a CAI with benefits because I think they sound great and look nice, too. I just don't want to devote time and money to something that hurts performance. Good luck and here's to 30HP gain. :cheers:

P.S. If possible, please show us before and after CAI performance with no other changes in the runs.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
just another follow up, increased emission ran away after ~30 miles drive. everything all good now.
not really push it yet but exhaust is louder a bit at rpm 3000, and more back pressure sound

btw, yesterday i took out all 4 plates comes with afe system because i think that is useless.
the only reason i think for those 2 plates each side are blocking object that can fly in with air and damage the filter. or water.
i dont think that a thing that is small enough can go thru from front grill into air hose or bottom hose possible to damage the filter.
water in the other hand, hard to reach because filter is actually higher than all the hose.

·
Registered
76 Posts
Glad to read that... But I had the same problem with my car (I dont have afe) it I'll go away for awhile but it kept coming back and it turned out to be the actuator so if it comes back you know where to look :cheers:

·
Registered
1 Posts
try to search online but looks like very few results

i got the afe stage 2 intake today and spends 4hr to install it.
1st start engine speed up and down from like 100 to 500 up and down then stall after around 10 sec
restarted engine again still 100 to 500 for like 5 sec and back to 800 stable.
next i saw error code reduced engine power and limited at 7k and increased emission

anyone has any idea or similar problem after install any brand of CAI?
I already email Sal at evolve and see if i can pull out the ecu log for them to check

btw my car is 2010, 11000 miles.

How did u put it in backwards? I just installed today, and my engine is misfiring across all cylinders, the MAS can only screw in one way... id appreciate any info on what to do
-------------------follow up--------------------

installed the connecting pipes/tubes backward and MAF backward also.
reinstall it and reduced engine power error code went away but increased emission still there

1 - 17 of 17 Posts