BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Day 1

I was fortunate enough to take the E39 M5 out into Europe in July 2022. An E39 M5 owners organised trip to BMW Munich and the BMW Dingolfing plant - the birth place of the E39 M5.

I’ll have a go at putting everything into words but it was all just a bit surreal. No matter what I say i will not be able to do it justice!

The M5 has always been mechanically sound so all it needed for the trip was some fresh engine oil and an oil filter. Parts were supplied courtesy of Douglas Park Hamilton BMW. They offer fantastic prices for E39 M5 owners. Cheaper than Eurocarparts!

Next step was to have the car washed as it had been more than 6 months since it’s last clean. I know tell me about it!

After the wash I headed over to Halfords to grab a UK magnet. Looked weird and out of place, but does the job.

Full tank of fuel and all loaded and ready for the early morning departure to Eurotunnel, Folkstone. Task for day 1. Get to Munich!

Nice early morning departure from home and it made light work of the 170 mile trip to the Eurotunnel. Beautiful sky !

Bumped into a beautiful Le Mans Blue 03 plate E39 M5 at the Eurotunnel and we were placed on the same carriage. Nice talking M cars so early in the morning with a proper petrol head! The owners had more M cars than I could count with 2 hands. Legend.

There was a group of 15 + E39 M5’s who had set off a day earlier to do an early morning drive at the Black Forrest followed by Porsche Museum and Mercedes’ Museum in Stuttgart.

My aim was to catch them all up at the Mercedes Museum in Stuttgart.

Once we arrived in Calais we stopped for a quick fuel stop and set off on a 461 mile drive to Stuttgart! Aim was to get there for late afternoon as they all finished up at the Mercedes Museum. The Le Mans Blue joined the drive too and it was pretty epic having the 2 side by side.

Another quick pit stop for some 102 octane

Finally making it to Mercedes Museum Stuttgart to catch some of the E39 M5 convoy.

Nice to finally join the big convoy and off we went to Munich - another 134 miles.

We drove straight to a car wash just outside the hotels we were staying to make cars presentable for the next day.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

I didn’t wash mine in the end, just applied a bit of tyre shine and called it clean. Talk about half a job.

After the car wash we went off to grab some food.

Velvet & Aegean parked up together round the corner from the Italian restaurant.

Starbucks, chocolate and crisps only do so much for the stomach. Some hot food finally to end the day.

M5 finally parked up at the hotel after 765 miles covered on day 1. No risk of anyone opening the door onto the M5 which made me sleep easier at night.

Day 2

Early start. Quick pit stop for fuel and a Munich clean air windscreen sticker

Just for a bit of context this E39 M5 meet up was historic. E39 M5’s travelled from all over Europe. Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Romania, Germany, Ireland, Scotland, Netherlands, Norway, France, Latvia, Jersey, Croatia, Czech Republic, Italy, Spain & Iceland (yes Iceland!).

We managed 49 E39 M5’s at the Museum - this including BMW Group Classics Individual Chrome Shadow. What a stunning car!

BMW museum tour was pretty amazing. The E39 M5 owners had a private tour and it was lovely to finally see the hidden gems such as E34 M5 convertible & E46 M3 Touring. Definitely the highlights for me.

As we wrapped up for the day and set off from the BMW Museum an M5 suffered from a starting issue. All the M5 owners were drafted. Turned out to be a fuel pump fuse and the M5 was quickly fixed! Between the lot of us we carried a lot of spare parts and tools. Absolutely legendary bunch of people!

Later in the evening we were invited to a pop up event organised by Rob (heelandtoe_), we got to meet some amazing people, listen to and share stories in the company of fantastic cars, food and drink! Sreten (M539) joined too, the guy is a gem.

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Day 3

Day 3 I struggle to put into words. It was a visit to the Dingolfing plant - the birthplace of the E39 M5. We set a meeting point outside the hotel of 10:30am. There were E39 M5’s everywhere! You could hear the V8 rumble echoing from all around the buildings. It was just unreal. I’ve got no words to describe it.

We departed Munich at 10:45am and just as I got into the M5 I jokingly said to my good friend Jas owner of the UK registered Velvet Blue M5 … “let’s be the first ones there!”. Reply from Jas “Let’s go”. Amazing drive via derestricted autobahn and we were pretty much flat out for all of it. As we arrived at the Dingolfing plant we saw the BMW group classic E39 M5 parked up at a distance - this was the meeting point. We were the first 2 cars from the convoy to arrive. Here’s a picture of all three before the rest of the convoy arrived. Mission accomplished.

Then the E39 M5’s kept pouring in and it was just E39 M5 heaven !!

From left to right Aegean Blue, Velvet Blue, Oxford Green.

Alex the plant managed arrived shortly after with his family. He was an absolute gem and gave us all a very warm welcome. He gave us a welcome speech. We apologised to him for our slightly noisy entrance.

There was a particularly special moment for 2 members of our group, Abbey & Jake. Abbey decided to propose to Jake shortly after we arrived at Dingolfing. She knew how excited Jake was about the trip and she made it all that bit more special for him.

Alex then jumped into a BMW IX and asked us to follow him. He gave us a slow guided drive through the Dingolfing plant. It’s huge!

We stopped off for a photo opportunity at the Dingolfing Plant road test facility - this is the exact place the Aegean M5 would’ve come to life and completed it’s first 1 or 2 miles on the odometer. We stopped for a picture or two or three …

Throughout the guided drive tour we saw hundreds of brand new cars everywhere !

BMW canteen staff came in specially on a Sunday to cater for us - the plant is normally closed on a Sunday. Was humbling as they’d gone out of their way to make the E39 M5 group was fed. Lost for words.

After a final speech from Alex & team the Dingolfing factory tour was finished. Then we set of for Frankfurt after a quick fuel stop.

Sreten from M539 invited us all round to the Dojo. Myself and a few guys had the opportunity to drive with Sreten from Dingolfing to Frankfurt. All I can say is he is as good of a driver as he is a mechanic/ technician. He is able to peddle the E39 M5 and sit comfortably at speeds of over 160mph comfortably for hours. Made the 242 mile journey seem like 10 minutes!

I remember for the longest time it was me in the Aegean, Sreten (Le Mans Blue) , Jas (Velvet Blue) and Marcus in the (Silverstone Blue) ex Swedish press car flying down the autobahn clearing traffic. 4 E39 M5’s in the outside lane running in formation with top indicators on. Then to be joined by a further 4 E39 M5’s. I’m still lost for words what happened that evening and it was my most memorable drive to date! Sat between 140mph and the limiter for most of it.

Some very short clips

E39 M5 convoy to Frankfurt

E39 M5’s on route to Frankfurt via derestricted Autobahn

·
Registered
157 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

Then we arrived at the Dojo

Sreten is a great host! Bought us drinks and showed us around the workshop. No more words to describe him, a gem!

Later that evening went for dinner. Had been a long day.

Day 4

Drive home. The following morning a quick fuel stop and 5:30am departure from hotel.

Plenty of derestricted autobahn

Quick coffee break

Eurotunnel pic

Home finally. 1,830 miles covered.

A very special thank you to the BMW Group Classic team, Dingolfing Plant team, all the E39 M5 owners who made it and the photographer Kaspars who joined us for the entire trip.

Great memories with great people. Cannot believe how nice everyone was! Memories made that will live with me for a lifetime. This thread doesn’t quite capture how brilliant the entire trip was. Everything was just a bit surreal - I’m still lost for words really.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Simply amazing! Great pics and write up.

Reactions: peetee

·
Registered
1,462 Posts
That's freakin awesome!! All those E39 M5's showing up at the dojo like lemmings in a line or ants on their way to a huge meal must have been spectacular for him... filling up every inch of that shallow parking area in front of all the doors, man I hope his next video has lots of footage of this event and the Dojo gathering at the end... thanks for sharing, sad I'm in the US and missed out!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Cannot describe how green with envy the rest of us are. I’ve been seeing pictures, video, and stories of this on different platforms and can’t get enough. Thanks for your stellar write-up and pictures. I certainly wish I had been there…

1 - 12 of 12 Posts