BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Gents,

I have done about 150 miles in E60 M5 since changing the sump gasket and oil level had been fine, last night the message cam on asking for 1L of oil which I added but it didn't put the light out despite me pushing the BC button to force the test, I then added another 1L followed by another 0.5L and it's still asking for another litre???

What's going on?.

I have no smoke, no oil leaks and my fear is there may be too much oil in the engine and this is a false reading?

Is there a valve that can open such as the oil cooler which has just swallowed a load of oil?

Should I add another litre and check again?.

·
Registered
759 Posts
Sounds like you can't trust the oil level sensor. The only way to know for sure is drain all the oil and measure it.

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
You need to drain that oil out right now and refill with 9L. Then you drive it around and press the reset to see if it is recording correctly.

·
Registered
13,463 Posts
I would not drive it with an extra 1.5L of oil in it.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
You need to drive it about 20-miles after putting in the first qt

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
This is the preferred way to get an accurate reading as the car will do that for you but you have to do 20 miles of constant, relatively moderate speed like 60mph+ driving and not 20 miles of stop and go traffic.

The other method is to drive the car for about 6 miles (doesn't matter at what speed or if it's stop and go) and then take the manual reading through the OBC.

That said, I think most people missed what you wrote and that's once you added the first liter, the oil light stating that it's low on oil is still there correct? If it's only needing 1L, and you even if you only add half that, the light should go away even if you don't drive it too far. It should go away right when you start it back up so I can see why you added more.

Anyway, I would do what others have suggested and drain it in case the sensor's bad.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What was wrong with a good old dip stick?, BMW trying to reinvent the wheel.

Ok, I'll drop the oil again and measure.

Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Has anyone come up with a dipstick mod?

Or even a sight plug on side of oil pan that is located just above Maximum fill.

Something easily done when oil pan off to check bearing wear.

T

·
0 Posts
This is the preferred way to get an accurate reading as the car will do that for you but you have to do 20 miles of constant, relatively moderate speed like 60mph+ driving and not 20 miles of stop and go traffic.

The other method is to drive the car for about 6 miles (doesn't matter at what speed or if it's stop and go) and then take the manual reading through the OBC.

That said, I think most people missed what you wrote and that's once you added the first liter, the oil light stating that it's low on oil is still there correct? If it's only needing 1L, and you even if you only add half that, the light should go away even if you don't drive it too far. It should go away right when you start it back up so I can see why you added more.

Anyway, I would do what others have suggested and drain it in case the sensor's bad.

Did your sensor ever stop acting up?

·
Registered
7,328 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well, had the oil dropped today and only got 7.5L out of it, so yes it must have been low but I don't understand how?

Put an additional 1.5L in and all is fine on the level gauge.

In the last 200 miles I have added 4.0L on top of the original 9L I put in when I had the sump and oil cooler off.

Does the 9L include the filling of the oil cooler?, I suspect not as the cooler would not normally drain during an oil change.

T

·
0 Posts
The complete oil capacity is about 12.5-qts after all is said and done. This is counting the oil cooler and engine to filter, and cooler to filter lines as well.

The Rpi setup holds about 14-qts

I find the 2008+ motors hold 1/4-qts more of oil so they are 12.75-qts

1 - 14 of 14 Posts