BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All:

I think my fan clutch is done. I can always stop the fan whether engine is hot or cold and just in the last few days noticed a new sound as I get into higher rpm's. It sounds like the fan is spinning far too fast so I've been taking it easy. I will be ordering a fan clutch but was wondering if it is easy to disconnect the fan or what would be some other options while waiting for the new fan clutch?
Should I go ahead and remove the fan and drive without it?

It's my daily driver so I can't just garage it till it's fixed because my wife needs to drive the other vehicle.

Thanks in advance m5Board!

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
Just knock it off and drive gentle, the electric will make up for it. Reduce A/c use to a min. Got to be getting cooler in Sask anyway.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just knock it off and drive gentle, the electric will make up for it. Reduce A/c use to a min. Got to be getting cooler in Sask anyway.
This week has been the hottest all year strangely enough but tomorrow will be much cooler with a high of 13C versus the 27-30C.
Drive without a hood.
Haha. You mean after removing the fan clutch right?

·
Registered
2,501 Posts
Haha. You mean after removing the fan clutch right?
Either way.
No fan clutch, engine will still cool down from all the air coming in without the hood.

With fan clutch, it might explode and fly out of the engine bay....and might dent someone else's hood in traffic, but at least it's not yours :hihi:

·
Registered
632 Posts
Hi All:

I think my fan clutch is done. I can always stop the fan whether engine is hot or cold and just in the last few days noticed a new sound as I get into higher rpm's. It sounds like the fan is spinning far too fast so I've been taking it easy. I will be ordering a fan clutch but was wondering if it is easy to disconnect the fan or what would be some other options while waiting for the new fan clutch?
Should I go ahead and remove the fan and drive without it?

It's my daily driver so I can't just garage it till it's fixed because my wife needs to drive the other vehicle.

Thanks in advance m5Board!
If you continue to drive it in this condition and when it explodes it will more than likely cause more damage to your vehicle then a faulty fan clutch. Then your daily driver will be off the road until you can make all the repairs. A much more costlier proposition. Get your fan clutch done ASAP.

Reactions: sor118

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Either way.
No fan clutch, engine will still cool down from all the air coming in without the hood.

With fan clutch, it might explode and fly out of the engine bay....and might dent someone else's hood in traffic, but at least it's not yours :hihi:
Without the hood, the heat would certainly escape faster :thumbsup:

I'm less worried about my hood(and others lol) versus the potential hoses like for the coolant and venting hoses plus oil lines and electrical wires that the shrapnel would damage.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I wonder if anyone has ever opened up the fan clutch and perhaps tried something like this to fix it? It can't be that much of a complicated part.

FZJ80 Land Cruiser Blue Fan Clutch Mod - YouTube<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

It seems the silicon oil is readily available.

·
Registered
6,632 Posts
I wouldn't drive it, unless absolutely necessary. I would, also, replace the fan while it's out. As far as rebuilding the fan clutch, the problem with ours is that when they fail they seize. As a result the fan is running constantly at the same speed as the water pump (engine speed x pulley ratio) and the plastic fan, typically being degraded form heat and time fractures; often catastrophically. If the fan is easily stopped and the engine temps are higher than normal then the clutch is not properly engaging. This should not cause a catastrophic failure of the fan, but keep an eye on the temps. If the later is the case then rebuilding the clutch may be a good solution. But as RAO would say it would be unseemly (not near expensive enough for an M5).

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Update: I removed the fan clutch and the noise persisted so my assumption was incorrect. I did find that my oil filter housing rubber mounts were busted in half and I bet if I fix those, my noise will go away. I hope!!!

Thanks everyone for the great advice. Best forum on the web.

·
Registered
10,186 Posts
I will give you something else to try, take the belt off. Funny noise thru all rpm, ALT, if it has never been replaced.The oil filter housing causes a drone that only appears at certain RPM and is quiet at other RPM.

·
Registered
3,605 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I will give you something else to try, take the belt off. Funny noise thru all rpm, ALT, if it has never been replaced.The oil filter housing causes a drone that only appears at certain RPM and is quiet at other RPM.
Thanks for the additional advice. I will give that a try but I do think the noise/vibrations are the caused by the busted mounts. They were only showing up after getting past 2.5K RPM. There were zero strange noises at idle, nor when I revved it at a standstill, only when actually driving.

I ordered 4 new mounts from amazon since I might as well change out the power steering reservoir mounts while I'm at it.

:cheers:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts