BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure this is a frequently asked question, but if it's ok, i'd like to get some up to date advice on E60 M5's!

I am currently in the market to buy one, and would like to know if there is anything i should look out for when buying? I am going to buy from a local dealer here in the UK, and have about £50,000 which roughly equates to $100,000 ish... Car's over here aren't as cheap as over there in the U.S sadly!! Nothing is, which is really annoying!!

Just wondering, if there are any problems i should be expecting, whether there are any years of manufacture to avoid because of problems etc. Just some general helpful advice basically! I'm not very well informed on the E60's as yet, but need to, and want to learn a lot!!

Thanks in advance peeps!! :)

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
The Golden Rule - you must get one with a warranty.

BTW, there are quite a few for sale on Pistonheads these days; it's a buyer's market so haggle hard :byee55amg

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The Golden Rule - you must get one with a warranty.

BTW, there are quite a few for sale on Pistonheads these days; it's a buyer's market so haggle hard :byee55amg
I wouldn't ever buy one without a market. Would you still recommend buying one privately? My personal opinion has always been to buy through the dealer for peace of mind more than anything else, or am i being a bit silly? Lol!!

·
Registered
8,300 Posts
Well, there you have it....you have heard from the Euro Guru, Ashok knows what to look for, TRANSMISSIONS, stay away from 2005 and VERY early 2006....and by all means get a WARRANTY....good luck and welcome.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi ive just bought a Dec 57plate M5 with full spec new was £72k bought it from Cooper Tunbrigde Wells for £53k with 6000miles give them a call they have a great M tec sales dept and hold nice stock , but the newer the car the better , i have had no faults with mine (only a CD player replacement) but you have to buy one they are the beast on the roads nothing comes close when the M5 is in full motion.Just watch your licence .....

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks guys. I'll give them a call Harry, thank you! Was kind of hoping to buy at my local dealer in Bournemouth called Wood, but if they are better and hold a decent stock, then i may be persuaded!

What are these SMG issues then??

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yeah no problem, check out the FAQ on the top of the thread list (Sticky), there are more usefull information about the famous M5.

Good luck!

·
Registered
147 Posts
I have a mid-06 car and expereinced a sensor fault in the SMG which caused the clutch/ flywheel to burn-out. Because car is under warranty I had no problems. Advice re warranty is very valid and is a must.

Re cars are dearer than in US, I agree, I am from Australia and my 06 M5 cost around $200K AUD. Not really fair eh?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts