BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am really considering buying a 2006 M6 with about 23k miles on it. Here is the ad-
Barrett Auto Gallery - 2006 BMW 6 Series M6 - McAllen, Texas

I think I can get it much cheaper-I am hoping to bring the price down closer to 40k,

My concerns are:
-out of warranty
-check light is on (didn't realize I could check it at the time)
-cost to maintain, are these cars difficult to work on? I usually do most of the maintanence on my cars. For example, are any special tools need for a brake pad replacement?

If any of you seasoned vets can give advice regarding things to look for I would much appreciate it. I test drove the car and it drives well, unfortunately I did not play with all the power settings, M mode, etc. I will go back with my new found knowledge of ALL the features it does have.

I appreciate your responses!~

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I am really considering buying a 2006 M6 with about 23k miles on it. Here is the ad-

I think I can get it much cheaper-I am hoping to bring the price down closer to 40k,

My concerns are:
-out of warranty
-cost to maintain, are these cars difficult to work on? I usually do most of the maintanence on my cars. For example, are any special tools need for a brake pad replacement?

If any of you seasoned vets can give advice regarding things to look for I would much appreciate it. I test drove the car and it drives well, unfortunately I did not play with all the power settings, M mode, etc. I will go back with my new found knowledge of ALL the features it does have.

Congratulations on making a decision to buy a great car! This price for a vehicle that is out of warranty with check engine lights on is completely out of line. You should go to the BMW CPO site and search for cars then start calling the individual dealers to negotiate. These are unbelievable cars to own and drive but the upkeep for a non-warranty car can easily run into the mid-four figure range depending on the issue.

As a new owner (3.5 months) with the identical car you are looking at I can attest to the joy that this car will bring you. My own car was CPO but the costs to repair or service the car over this time period would have cost me over $4500.00 in this short time period and my car is very reliable. Read the board, there are instances of $5,6,7,8K repair jobs. I don't know your finances but no individual I know wants to give away money when it is not necessary.

As far as special tools are concerned, I'm not certain. Good luck in your search but I recommend that you walk away form this one. As usual, N=1...just my opinion. Others may differ.

Good luck in your search and keep us posted. This is one of the best and most community oriented boards I have participated in! The senior members are extremely valuable information sources. :cheers:

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the info, by the way-I don't think it is the check engine light it is the triangle/explanation mark and from what I have read it could be very minor I will look into it. CPO is also something I am starting to consider-I THOUGHT CPO was for non M cars but I found many CPO M6's online so I am a little confused. The car overall seems great but I would love to have some peace of mind with a MFG warranty.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Thanks for the info, by the way-I don't think it is the check engine light it is the triangle/explanation mark and from what I have read it could be very minor I will look into it. CPO is also something I am starting to consider-I THOUGHT CPO was for non M cars but I found many CPO M6's online so I am a little confused. The car overall seems great but I would love to have some peace of mind with a MFG warranty.
Here are the special offers...It includes M Driving School! Pretty cool!
Special Offers

IT'S LIKE THE FIRST 3 MONTHS
ARE ON US. WE INSIST.
Right now, choose from 3 exceptional offers on a Certified Pre-Owned BMW.* Get a payment credit up to $1,500, with your first payment due in July 2011. Or, take advantage of 0.9% financing. Or, choose to have up to 6 years or 100,000 miles of BMW worry-free no-cost maintenance. The choice won't be easy. While you're deciding, check out the one day M Driving School offer on '07 or '08 Certified Pre-Owned BMW M Series.**
And remember every CPO BMW is first...a BMW. The Ultimate Driving Machine®.

Find a Dealer
Search for a Specific Model

Certified Pre-Owned Brochure (0.6 MB PDF)
CPO Special Offer (1.93 MB PDF)

*CPO special offers are valid only for qualified customers who finance a Certified Pre-Owned (CPO) BMW through BMW Financial Services (BMW FS) at a participating BMW center. Not all BMW centers participate. To qualify, you must enter into a retail installment sale contract between March 1, 2011 and May 2, 2011. The up to $1,500.00 payment credit is available on eligible 2008 model year 3, 5, 6, 7, Series, X5 and Z4, (M models excluded) using standard BMW FS rates. BMW FS will reimburse up to $500.00 per month of the first three payments due, customer will be billed for payment in excess of $500.00 credit each month, and if payment is below $500.00 credit, there is no additional credit beyond the three months or $1,500.00, whichever is greater. Program not available to customers refinancing or leasing their current vehicle that is financed or leased through BMW FS. Financing starting at 0.9% APR is available on Certified Pre-Owned 2007 3 series, and 2008 model year 3, 5, 6, 7, X3, X5 and Z4 and 2008 MY 1 Series (M models excluded). The no cost maintenance offer is valid for up to 6 years or 100,000 miles from the original in-service date, whichever comes first on 2008 MY 3, 5, 6, 7, X5 and Z4 CPO models (M models excluded) using standard BMW FS rates. The three offers listed here cannot be combined in any way. Only certain contract lengths are eligible. These offers are subject to credit approval. See your participating BMW center for details about minimum and maximum lease and financing terms, and vehicle availability. Protection Plan, backed by BMW, provides coverage for 2 years or 50,000 miles (whichever comes first) from the date of the expiration of the 4-year/50,000-mile BMW New Vehicle Limited Warranty.

** To qualify for the one day M Driving School offer at the BMW Performance Center in Greer, SC customer must enter into a retail sale contract between March 1, 2011 and May 2, 2011. Offer valid on 2007 and 2008 CPO M models using standard BMW FS rates, and cannot be combined with any other BMW FS Program. Approved customers must hold a valid driver's license, and will receive a voucher for one day M Driving School. The voucher is valid for one year from the retail process date of their purchase, and cannot be exchanged for cash value. The one day M driving School voucher is non-transferable, only the customer associated with the VIN is eligible. The customer is responsible for all transport to and from the BMW Performance Center, and for any and all transportation, accommodation, and meals associated with the program. For more information, call 1-800-334-4BMW. ©2011 BMW of North America, LLC. The BMW name, model names and logo are registered trademarks.

·
Registered
7 Posts

My concerns are:
-out of warranty

I appreciate your responses!~
Not sure how others feel about maintenance but from my experience this is a very technical car and you probable won't be able to do much work on the car.
I have changed discs and pads all round. No special tools needed but parts are expensive and if you change the pads you probably need to change the wear sensor as well. They seize in.
I have also changed a rear suspension bush. This did need a special tool to remove and fit the bush but I was able to make one.
Good luck.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the advice guys, CPO would be ideal I will keep investigating that.

I just returned from test driving the car again-I really appreciate all the features a whole lot more now that Iknow what they do :) I programmed the M button for max performance and I enjoyed it! I did notice in M mode the car shifted much harder than usual and seemed to make a lounder engagement sound. Is this normal? I really wouldn't call it a 'clunk' but you could definitely feel and hear it transmission engage obviously very different from standard D mode.

The check status indicator was due to low windshield wiper fluid which we filled up and it went away so that makes me feel better too..

We are pretty close to being sold on the car with the addition of a 4yr/60k warranty but only if the price is right! Will keep you posted.

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I have an E39 M5 and I have found it fairly easy to work on but I could imagine that an M6 would be a little harder with a lot more electronics. The M6 has a 14 gallon gas tank I believe 14g gas tank+V10= 150ish miles per tank

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I have an E39 M5 and I have found it fairly easy to work on but I could imagine that an M6 would be a little harder with a lot more electronics. The M6 has a 14 gallon gas tank I believe 14g gas tank+V10= 150ish miles per tank
18.5 gal, approx 200 miles per tank give or take.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Consumption varies dramatically depending how you drive the car. My range seems to be 10 to 23 mpg it does make petrol stops quite frequent. The fuel warning light comes on quite early as well (at 75 mile range when cruising).
With normal driving rather than driven hard I work on 250 - 275 miles between fill.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Are your guy's M6's expensive to maintain?? And has anyone went from a E39 M5 to an M6 or vise versa.
Out of my pocket, no. To the dealer, yes. All CPO means is that they are accountable to bring the car up to their guaranteed spec. My car was delivered with quite a few niggling problems that SHOULD HAVE been handled in the CPO inspection but were not. If I would have been responsible, it would have cost me $4,500+ in less than 90 days. I savaged my salespersons survey to the point he called me to ask what he personally did wrong. This has led me to believe that the only value is as a hammer to make the dealer get it right.

In comparison, my wife's 2009 E60 528i has cost me 1 quart of oil or $5.95. I hope this helps!

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
itchy trigger finger

Hey guys I am thinking about pulling the trigger. I looked into adding an extended warranty and it is 4500 dollars for a 4 yr/ 60k mile. They are asking ~48K for the car. To me that is much to high, I don't feel comfortable going higher than 44-45k with warranty what do you guys think?

·
Registered
2,154 Posts

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
Are your guy's M6's expensive to maintain?? And has anyone went from a E39 M5 to an M6 or vise versa.
I don't think you will find anyone who has gone from an M6 to an E39 M5.

A number of owners had E39 M5s and then E60 M5s and I assume there will be some who went from an E39 to an D63/64 M6 but I don't know who they are off the top of my head.

I usually fill up my M6 a bit before bone dry and put 15 - 16 gallons in it. At $4.17(9) a gallon, that is $62 to $66 a fill top up. But if you went to range = '----' (it does not show range = 0), you would be putting in about 17.5 gallons so worst case is about $75 (but gas is going up everyday).

After I fill up, my estimated range often shows 285 - 300 miles. But I probably only get about 250 (if run to empty) as I average 13.5 mpg.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
The problem with a 2006 cpo is there is only 1 year left on the warranty although it is certified. I can't find a sticker on a CPO 06 for less than 48k.

·
Registered
61 Posts
To chime in with my two cents, and thats about what its worth, here's some info I found. If you are buying from a non BMW dealer, and they are offering an extended warranty, you might want to find out who the 3rd party warranty company is, and check with the shop you want to have do the service, to see if they accept it, and are willing to work for the rates they pay.

You might want to check with your local BMW dealer, and see what they want for a 2 year, 100k warranty.

Another option I considered when shopping, was to have a pre-purchase inspection from a local BMW dealer. I was quoted between $150 - $200 for this inspection.

Good luck.
04 Yukon XL

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
I don't think you will find anyone who has gone from an M6 to an E39 M5.

A number of owners had E39 M5s and then E60 M5s and I assume there will be some who went from an E39 to an D63/64 M6 but I don't know who they are off the top of my head.

I usually fill up my M6 a bit before bone dry and put 15 - 16 gallons in it. At $4.17(9) a gallon, that is $62 to $66 a fill top up. But if you went to range = '----' (it does not show range = 0), you would be putting in about 17.5 gallons so worst case is about $75 (but gas is going up everyday).

After I fill up, my estimated range often shows 285 - 300 miles. But I probably only get about 250 (if run to empty) as I average 13.5
mpg.
thats a decent average, I get about the same. You must have to pay even more because they have to import it, that sucks

·
Registered
4,512 Posts
thats a decent average, I get about the same. You must have to pay even more because they have to import it, that sucks
Actually we have two refineries here (and the oil arrives via ocean tanker), so unless we had an oil field (which of course we don't), we should, in theory, pay no more than anyone else in the U.S.

Ha ha ha ha ha ha - right.....

They tax the crap out of us on top of the oil companies gouging us out here. But it's worse many other places in the world, so I guess I should not complain too much.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts