BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got my third ticket for having no front license plate. This is a fix-it ticket (I can't just pay a fine), so I'm going to bite the bullet and mount my front plate. In looking at the front license plate frame my dealer provided me, I note that the bottom has hooks that fit neatly into slots cut into existing slots at the bottom of the bumper, and at the top, each corner has two holes, a large one and a smaller one with a threaded brass insert, to attach to the bumper. Has anyone monted this frame? Do I use the larger holes or the ones with the threaded brass inserts? If I use the non-threaded hole, I presume I can just drill a hole into the bumper and use a machine screw to mount the frame; not sure how to do it using the threaded hole.

Any help or suggestions appreciated.

Thanks,

Wilkie

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
wilkie...im going to look at my m3 right now. I had to move from a no front plate state to a front plate state here in TX..

verdict..

the ones nearest the outside of the plate holder are for attaching to the bumper...the inner ones are for holding the plate

·
Registered
767 Posts
Can the plate bracket be mounted by NOT using the upper 2 holes (don't have to drill holes into face of bumper)? I've never had my plates put on, and would put the front on only temporary for a cop to sign off on.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
SC'dKellenersM5 said:
wilkie...im going to look at my m3 right now. I had to move from a no front plate state to a front plate state here in TX..

verdict..

the ones nearest the outside of the plate holder are for attaching to the bumper...the inner ones are for holding the plate
Well, there are actually THREE sets of holes-- I aligned the license plate to the frame, and the holes on the plate match up with a third set of (smaller, unthreaded) holes on the frame. If the frame attaches via the outside holes, as you indicate I wonder what the other holes (with the threaded brass insert) are for?

Thanks for your reply.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Philip said:
Can the plate bracket be mounted by NOT using the upper 2 holes (don't have to drill holes into face of bumper)? I've never had my plates put on, and would put the front on only temporary for a cop to sign off on.

Well, I've heard from other people on this forum that they've taped or velcroed the plate on the front, took it in for the inspection, and then took it off again once it passed. However, I don't think I could live through the embarassment if I tried that, and just my luck, the plate would fall off right while the cop was inspecting it!! On the other hand, maybe a super strong double sticky tape might work??

Wilkie

·
Registered
248 Posts
Use 3M double sided tape. It is sold at Home Depot in the paint dept. Make sure you get the black tape, it is for outdoor use, and has red wrapping. After inspection, pull it off, and use some 3M adhesive remover (sold at Autozone I think) for any residue.;)

·
Registered
99 Posts
I live in Tx and run without my front plate and have not been busted yet. I have had the idea of taking the front plate and Swiss cheesing the area around the numbers and letters of the plate and attaching it to the lower grill with black zip ties. I think this would still allow enough air through to the radiator?<o =""></o>

On my Porsche I just could not figure out a good spot to attach it to the front of the car. I attached suction cups to the tag and placed it in the lower right hand corner of the windshield. This works very well unless I have a passenger in the car with me. This also works very well because the law in Tx is that the front plate must be in view from the front of the vehicle. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
Would it be possible to make (or have made) a braket that mounts under the front lip of the bumper that would be stiff enough to hold the front plate? (to be like 007, you could have it flip up when you need it and flip down and retract under the bumper when you don't :D ) Maybe using something like 1/4 turn fasteners so it could be installed quickly?

I've not had the pleasure of being stopped for a front plate violation, so I don't know what they'll look for in the mount, but I think it would suffice just to have it attached in any way to the front of the car... :confused2

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
boplaw said:
Use 3M double sided tape. It is sold at Home Depot in the paint dept. Make sure you get the black tape, it is for outdoor use, and has red wrapping. After inspection, pull it off, and use some 3M adhesive remover (sold at Autozone I think) for any residue.;)

Thanks, I think that's what I'll try, rather than drilling holes into the face of the front bumper.

Wilkie

·
Registered
554 Posts
M-Fünf said:
Would it be possible to make (or have made) a braket that mounts under the front lip of the bumper that would be stiff enough to hold the front plate? (to be like 007, you could have it flip up when you need it and flip down and retract under the bumper when you don't :D ) Maybe using something like 1/4 turn fasteners so it could be installed quickly?

I've not had the pleasure of being stopped for a front plate violation, so I don't know what they'll look for in the mount, but I think it would suffice just to have it attached in any way to the front of the car... :confused2
-good question...

1 - 11 of 11 Posts