BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Just a thought, but since you are in Hawaii, have you thought of contacting the local BMW/CCA chapter and asking them for a recomendation on an installer?

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
onesixeight:

Your guys did it in 1.5 hours. That is an amazingt time. How many people were working on it? I know with two technicians, an install can range from 4.5-6.5 hours depending on what you run into. That is with taking the strut completely out of the car to swap springs as they method posted above can do serious damage if that little spring compressor tool ever lets go inside that fender area.
TCM,

It was EM_5 that had it done in 1.5 hours. However, I had my springs done by the same installer and it took just over 2 hours. For what is worth!:dunno:
:cheers:

·
Registered
116 Posts
It took a BMW technician, a helper and me about 5 hours in total to do the entire car ouich We finished about 01:30 am in the morning!

The worse thing that can happen is tight screws that are not friendly at all, and we wasted an hour trying to get the screws loose (my car is only a year plus old). J

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
It took a BMW technician, a helper and me about 5 hours in total to do the entire car ouich We finished about 01:30 am in the morning!

The worse thing that can happen is tight screws that are not friendly at all, and we wasted an hour trying to get the screws loose (my car is only a year plus old). J
Hey Speed,

Maybe too many cooks in the kitchen?hmmm (jk)

I have to admit, you guys are making me wonder how, and what the installer did to my car!:confused:

I am one of many who has had his car springs done at this shop in LA. They do a number of pro athletes and hollywood types (no that that makes them any more qualified) and to date no complaints or problems. KNOCK ON WOOD!!ouich

Maybe it's technique? They do enough cars and have it down to a science.:dunno:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Just a thought, but since you are in Hawaii, have you thought of contacting the local BMW/CCA chapter and asking them for a recomendation on an installer?
Not so much the CCA chapter, as they don't really meet that often. But the guy I have lined up would probably be recommended by anyone in the BMW community here. He has prep'ed many BMW racers and has worked on my 996 Turbo and GT3 for many years now. He personally races E30 M3's and a personal E46 M3, so he's a BMW nut himself. It's more of a case I want to make as easy as possible for him. Hey...it was everyone's first E60 M5 at one point or another right? :)

·
Registered
71 Posts
took me about 5 hrs the first time (H&Rs) and 1.5 hours the second (eibachs). Some pics ....

DISCLAIMER: These are MY notes, I am not liable for any damage done using my guide. The step involving removing the front shock is VERY risky and i highly recommend loosening the front lower control arm also to create more room for removing the shock fromt he car.

getting ready on the lift

the "before" stock gap

pop off strut top cover and loosen the three strut bolts. Carefully remove the EDC connector (just pull up ont he plug)

Remove the headlight alignment servo unti held on to the passenger side by 10mm nut (not shown). Remove these 2 bolts. 1 is a 16mm bolt that aligns the sway bar bracket, the other that does the same and holds in the nottom of the strut (18mm nut and bolt)

Remove Tie rod and rear lower control arm (21mm (i think) nuts)

·
Registered
71 Posts
jam a chisel to spread open the shock clamp. Shock should now wiggle up and down. I used a little oil just to ease this process

Next remove all 3 strut bolts. The next step is kinda tough and I wouldn't recommend it but how i did it was to turn the caliper and rotor in towards the car, put my hand on top of the shock and pushed down hard towards the ground. Next I pulled it out missing the fender by mere milimeters.

Heres the shock ....

Install spring compressors. I have an impact on this next picture however i don't recommend this either! Use a ratchet and remove the nut using either a vise-grip or 18mm wrench. Use 12mm socket on Ratchet.

the front shock in all its pieces. This is the order they go back together ....

Re-install the aftermarket spring and use new bump stops if provided by spring manufacturer

the front after a week of settling on Eibach springs ...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Kevin,

Eibachs...no need to cut the bump stops...right?

Thanks

Chris

no bump stop modifications needed on H&Rs or Eibachs. Can't speak for any other brand.

For the rears, I wish i got more pics but this is the only one. I will however provide some useful tips and some steps.

1. remove the lower shock bolt 18mm
2. remove sway bar links (18mm nut)
3. remove upper rear control arm INSIDE link (18mm nut and bolt)

4. climb inside your trunk with a flathead screw drive, a flashlight, 1/4 in drive ratchet with short 13mm socket, a MAGNET! and hope you're not claustrophobic!
5. peel back carpet lining around the wheelwells. 2 plastic clips for E60 with fold down seats.
6. remove molded foam above the shock
7. DISCONNECT the EDC wire trailing from the top of the shock, there is a 2 pin plug about 12 inches away.
8. Remove 3 13mm nuts holding the top of the shock, keep your magnet handy and be VERY careful not to drop these, they drop behind the frame and its a NIGHTMARE to fish out.
9. you will hear the shock drop a little ways after the last nut is removed.
10. CAREFULLY ( i cannot stress this enough.- if it helps you have 2 wires attached to the top of the shock which you do NOT want to break) move the upper rear control arm down and behind where it attaches to give you more room to angle the shock
11. CAREFULLY slide the bottom of the shock towards the location of where the sway bar attaches. Push down on the brake assembly to give you wiggling room
12. CAREFULLY push down more and you can slowly push the shock downwards and out. CAREFUL with the EDC wire and plug
13. heres the shock ready for spring removal ...

use 13mm and 18mm wrenches to remove top shock plate. No spring compressor needed as they are not under a ton of pressure
14. reinstall by feeding/aligning the EDC wire and top 3 bolts into the car. This can be frustrating as you cannot see where the holes line up.
15. Once aligned, pulled down on brake assembly and slide the bottom of shock to its mounting position. hand tightent he 18mm bolt.
16. go back into the trunk and reistall the 3 nuts.

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Kevin,

Since you have gone both H&R and Eibach on the same setup I assume(20" wheel). How those two compare? I felt Eibach is a little softer than H&R but eibach one I rode has 19", so it's not that fair comparison.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Kevin,

I can't thank you enough for all the pics and tips! :) :) :)

If you ever come to Hawaii, ring me up...I owe you one!

I'd also be interested in your thoughts to Kenny's question.

Thanks!

·
Registered
71 Posts
Kevin,

Since you have gone both H&R and Eibach on the same setup I assume(20" wheel). How those two compare? I felt Eibach is a little softer than H&R but eibach one I rode has 19", so it's not that fair comparison.

Kenny to give you a comparison .... H&Rs on stock 19" wheels feel EXACTLY the same as Eibachs on your old 20" wheels.

I've only done both sets on 19" wheels and the ride is about 5x better on the eibachs. Eibachs almost feel like stock setup with a drop. H&Rs feel like you have EDC on sport mode when you're on comfort mode

·
Registered
3,967 Posts
Kenny to give you a comparison .... H&Rs on stock 19" wheels feel EXACTLY the same as Eibachs on your old 20" wheels.

I've only done both sets on 19" wheels and the ride is about 5x better on the eibachs. Eibachs almost feel like stock setup with a drop. H&Rs feel like you have EDC on sport mode when you're on comfort mode
Thank you. That's what I expect. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
I have been told, for what that's worth (ouich), that there is about a 1/4 " +/- more drop on the fronts from the Eibach's. This is partially why I choose Eibach over H&R. In addition, via some previous threads, some complained of uneven drop and rough ride with the H&R's. Can't attest to that though.:dunno:

·
Registered
102 Posts
onesixeight,

you should check out BME Service Hawaii, i think their website is BMEHAWAII.com.

The head tech is from BMW of Honolulu, his bio says he left there in 2007. I'm sure they'll stand behind anything that they do. Check it out.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts