BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any advice to tell the SA? My 2000 M5, 29k miles, has developed grinding noise when shifting into 3rd gear. I can "ease it in" with out the noise. It is still under CPO warranty.
I have an appointment on friday at the dealer to check it out. Is it the snycro going out? I Think remember reading on this board that BMW wont fix a gearbox they will replace it.

Thanks In Advance,
TiM5

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
Sounds like a bad synchro to me, or some of the bushings are worn. If it is under CPO, send it in and get a new tranny.
:cheers:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks for the feedback.

·
Registered
187 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Advice on "grinding in 3rd" (UPDATE)

FYI<
Dealer has the remanufactured transmission on order and as expected, is covered under CPO warranty. MY2000 with 29k miles.

I asked the SA if they would install a new aftermarket clutch (if I provided it) while they have the tranny out...His response was NO, due to the fact it would void the warranty on the new remanufactured tranny. He priced a new BMW clutch and flywheel at ~$750.
I just figured if I need a clutch or will need one soon, I may as well have the put it in and save the labor expense($600-$700) in the future.
I wonder if the tech would put it in an aftermarket UUC, "under the table", while the tranny is out of the car. Of course, I would make a donation to his kids college fund.???????
Thanks, Tim.

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

TiM5 said:
FYI<
Dealer has the remanufactured transmission on order and as expected, is covered under CPO warranty. MY2000 with 29k miles.

I asked the SA if they would install a new aftermarket clutch (if I provided it) while they have the tranny out...His response was NO, due to the fact it would void the warranty on the new remanufactured tranny. He priced a new BMW clutch and flywheel at ~$750.
I just figured if I need a clutch or will need one soon, I may as well have the put it in and save the labor expense($600-$700) in the future.
I wonder if the tech would put it in an aftermarket UUC, "under the table", while the tranny is out of the car. Of course, I would make a donation to his kids college fund.???????
Thanks, Tim.
You are a lucky guy tim, I had the same problem and my car was out of warranty 2000 Individual, cost me over $5000 plus labor for a new gearbox. I would therfore never ever mess about with aftermarket non-OEM clutch or anything to do with the tranny.
WillM5AD

·
Registered
12,928 Posts

TiM5 said:
FYI<

Thanks, Tim.
Tim
Your plan makes sense. Sometimes a tech will "work" with you, especially if you have developed a relationship, or even if you were a prior "college fund" contributor on a small scale, but under these circumstances, it would be difficult. If you have a tranny problem, it would be discovered. And it is hard to do something as major as a clutch without being noticed. He has to account for his day. Something that big would usually be handled off site if the tech will agree to do it. Good luck.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

willm5ad said:
You are a lucky guy tim, I had the same problem and my car was out of warranty 2000 Individual, cost me over $5000 plus labor for a new gearbox. I would therfore never ever mess about with aftermarket non-OEM clutch or anything to do with the tranny.
WillM5AD
Also remember when the new gearbox goes in you must not drive the car over 4000 revs for the first 2000km after which BMW will replace the gearbox oil, in fact they MUST replace the low grade grinding oil with full spec gearbox oil after this first 2,000km. I didnt know about this only thanks to a very well informed board member DavidS did I find out - the dealer told me nothing about this until I brought it to his attention - sccccaaaarrrrryyyyyy
WillM5AD

·
Registered
12,398 Posts

It will NOT void the warranty on the tranny. He is lying or misinformed.

I'd set up a nice quiet chat with the manager and point out that of course you do not expect them to warrant the clutch, nor any damage to the tranny of the clutch grenades, but as you understand warranty law the warrtanty on the tranny cannot be voided....

·
Registered
1,903 Posts

ard said:
It will NOT void the warranty on the tranny. He is lying or misinformed.

I'd set up a nice quiet chat with the manager and point out that of course you do not expect them to warrant the clutch, nor any damage to the tranny of the clutch grenades, but as you understand warranty law the warrtanty on the tranny cannot be voided....
Steady on ARD you know the dealer will choose any excuse to avoid the warranty and if they have fitted a new gearbox and then a problem occurs within the warrantied 2 years I would bet my bottom dollar that they will blame the non-OEM clutch on inspection, I was even warned about fitting a SSK by BMW with my new (paid for by me) gearbox.
WillM5AD

·
Registered
6 Posts
I have an 01 M5 with 7900 original miles. Got it with only 5140 on it in May.

I noticed that frequently, when shifting into 3rd gear, even with the clutch fully depressed, I can "feel" a grinding or what I would describe as the gears coming together in the shifter...kind of like the clutch wasn't fully disengaging everything before I reengaged it.

Is this the same problem that the original poster is describing? I want to know because general consensus seems to be that a full transmission replacement is in order. A mechanic just screwed up my tranny when he was joy-riding my car for 20 miles on an oil change run and it won't engage in 1st gear at all without popping out of gear. Owner is standing behind it fully and is going to do "whatever" is required to repair even if it means new tranny. I'm inclined to go new tranny since the car was cherry before I took it in and who knows what else will come of the vandal's antics? Any thoughts?

Thanks very much.

Chris

·
Registered
2,564 Posts
If the tranny pops out of gear under acceleration, the synchro for first is shot. Dont know how he could fry one in a few miles, but I guess anything is possible when you want to make expensive smoke off the back tires.
A good grind will usually buck the shifter back into your hand, and it can sometimes be painful. If it is a little stiff or notchy, that is the normal operation of the gearbox. If it fails to accept 3rd gear, or makes a really loud crunch sound, then that gear is gone too. Different gears will require different pressure to engage, but watch for high frequency vibrations in the shifter, or noise from the shifter or tranny.
From what it sounds like, it's new tranny time. Hopefully the car is still CPO'ed.
:cheers:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts