BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
On my 06 m5, I've been getting the red cog early mornings for a few seconds every other day when i first start the car. It does not come on every day but just some days. It never came on while the car was moving. I decided to take it to the dealer as the car is CPO'ed. I had heard good things about this dealership so i took it to them this morning. I have the same mod on my 06 as listed on my 09 in my signature expect the pulley. I did bring up the fact that my exhaust was after market and the SA told me that it shouldn't be a problem.
Service adviser calls me after a few hours and tells me that there are two heat shields missing close to the transmission that are making some computer module really hot. It could have possibly gone bad, he wasn't sure. He also said that there were multiple fault codes stored in the transmission. Upon test driving it they realized that the car was jerky and it wasn't normal so there was something def wrong. I told him that i was getting the red cog even before i installed the exhaust and i never took any shields off, he said that it could have been that since i bought the car used, the first owner removed them and didn't install them back. Any way so far he blamed it on the missing heat shields to the transmission.
SA finally told me that he would have to first place new heat shields on the car and then clear all the codes and test drive the car again and see if any codes return. At this point i was feeling uneasy. I told him to go ahead and do that. He later calls me back after 10 minutes claiming that those heat shields are nationally back ordered and that they would take 10 days to get from Germany. I could pick up the car since loaner wud not be covered and then bring it back.
What do you guys think? The car drives perfect i've been getting the red cog back and forth for a longggg time. It judders sometimes after i drive it hard in low gears. Other wise its flawless. I think CPO is really crap and if it was the third party warranty they would have jumped on changing the entire transmission right now... Any advice or comments are appreciated. For now i will just go and pick up the car from them. Yea i do have to pay for an hour diagnostics, i don't understand the concept of CPO.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Yeah, and when they started bringing this $50 deductible into play, I wasn't notified, it was just a "OH WAIT BEFORE YOU GO" moment. I thought it being under warranty meant I pay nothing ''-___- I think some ground was lost there with the term "warranty." ??????

As for your situation, just drive normally and not too excessive and see what happens when the shields are re-installed.

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
sorry to hear of your issues,

Not trying to defend the dealer, but there are a lot of assuming people out there who don't read the details thinking CPO means the whole car is covered, when in fact it is not. It is the equivalent to a limited power train warranty.

And yes, there is a deductible once your car is out of the original warranty and the CPO warranty kicks in.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
thanx for your help, picked up the car back from the dealer this morning. He still insists for me to place heat shields part # 51487896857 and 51487896858. I ordered them already, SA told me that he cleared the codes and did not mention that i had an after market exhaust, however he did note that heat shields were missing.
Basically he might have screwed me up for my transmission CPO for the future. idk man, BMW is really getting nasty with their service. After 4 years or 50k miles just know you are on your own.
On the dealer invoice it is noted that they retrieved code 4FA0 and it had repeated itself like 51 times but could not duplicate problem at this time.
lol GL to us with older m5's....Oh yea not to mention i had to pay the diagnostic charge of 145 dollar. What does CPO cover then?

·
Registered
3,988 Posts
Reactions: shezmon

·
Registered
101 Posts
I think your SA is taking you for a ride or they are just doing it because you have mods and they think they can lean on you a bit. I guess it would be next to impossible to prove whether or not the shields were not there when you bought it. Regardless, they should take care of your issue on good faith. It's not like you need a new engine or some other high dollar item, it would just be good business. I at least hope that your problem will be fixed. If it is not, I would throw your paid invoices in their face with a smile. Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts