BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys,

Looking to do a tune to remove my engine light for O2 sensors which is caused by the removal of the pre cats, looking to do headers (supersprint catless) and wanting advice on the best tune on the market for power etc.

I will be looking at going down the VT2 kit from ESS in the future and want to know which tune is better for power, SMG function and reliablility long term, plus ease of installation as I dont want to send my ECU away due to the car being my daily.

If you have had one and moved to another please share your experience.

Cheers guys.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
best remap/tune will be live. Downloading one will never be as good. You shouldn't have to worry about CEL with catless SS setup, mine came on for about 100 miles then back to normal

·
Registered
416 Posts
best remap/tune will be live. Downloading one will never be as good. You shouldn't have to worry about CEL with catless SS setup, mine came on for about 100 miles then back to normal
This is incorrect, MSS65 is fully adaptive and will reach target AF ratio and optimum ign timing based on the programmed thresholds. The old days of having to custom tune amount of injected fuel to reach optimum AF ratio target etc is gone. You can load a off the shelf tune with a WOT AF ratio target of for instance 13:1 in all E60 M5's and they will all run the exact target value even if conditions/engine assembly is not 100% identical.

The car will throw a CEL if you remove the cats, this will not go away on it's own. The ECU is programmed to warn you when cat efficiency is to low and this is exactly what it does.

·
Registered
1,482 Posts
This is incorrect, MSS65 is fully adaptive and will reach target AF ratio and optimum ign timing based on the programmed thresholds. The old days of having to custom tune amount of injected fuel to reach optimum AF ratio target etc is gone. You can load a off the shelf tune with a WOT AF ratio target of for instance 13:1 in all E60 M5's and they will all run the exact target value even if conditions/engine assembly is not 100% identical.

The car will throw a CEL if you remove the cats, this will not go away on it's own. The ECU is programmed to warn you when cat efficiency is to low and this is exactly what it does.
How do you explain no CEL on mine with no cats?

·
Registered
416 Posts
Well done over 25,000miles since the supersprint sstem went on catless and still no CEL :)
You do understand that the function of the secondary O2 sensors and the cat functionality check software in the ECU is designed with 1 purpose in mind? To detect if the cats operate properly or not. If you do not have a CEL and are running no cats you have either a software designed to not check it as some factory BMW files does not throw CEL for low cat efficiency, they only throw OBD error codes. All US models will throw a CEL as this is a CARB requirement. It is also possible you have extended the rear O2's out of the exhaust stream, thereby fooling the detection system (may work if done correctly). All US spec cars and most international will throw a CEL if you run catless and do not modify either the software or the secondary O2 sensor position.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
M5aud,

I have the ESS tune, and I love it. I have it paired with headers so it's difficult to say how much power the tune actually gave me, but I know its faster and actually helps with the efficiency when cruising (been getting better gas mileage since)

Just my recommendation.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Any tunes that can be done without freighting of ecu? my car is my daily, powerchip have stated they can send me a laptop with the tune and instructions for the install and once done I simply post the laptop back... I have read discussions about powerchips standing and I can understand people choosing sides, I really want the best tune with easiest installation.

I plan to go with a stage II tune format as I plan on going down the gutted headers or supersprint catless headers route which in the end will see me going with the ESS VT2 supercharger kit once released, fingers crossed Asbjorn will grant me a tester kit for Australia.

·
Registered
495 Posts
Any tunes that can be done without freighting of ecu? my car is my daily, powerchip have stated they can send me a laptop with the tune and instructions for the install and once done I simply post the laptop back... I have read discussions about powerchips standing and I can understand people choosing sides, I really want the best tune with easiest installation.

I plan to go with a stage II tune format as I plan on going down the gutted headers or supersprint catless headers route which in the end will see me going with the ESS VT2 supercharger kit once released, fingers crossed Asbjorn will grant me a tester kit for Australia.
We will be releasing our Direct Flash end user OBD programmer very soon. This device will allow the customer to load his / her own software and switch between multipule maps "up to 10" including your stock file when needed.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Rom3n, please let us know when you release the Direct Flash, and what is required, for those of us who already have the ESS software, to do.

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I removed the cats off my car and it didnt throw any faults eventhough it didnt have a tune breifly before i installed a tune :)

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
IMO live is BEST.

However, if you must choose, try selecting one where you'd get the best support being in AUS.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
That's my way of thinking, problem is that it turns out that powerchip is the best person here with the flash tune via laptop etc and I have read some worrying comments about the company on here...

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
That's my way of thinking, problem is that it turns out that powerchip is the best person here with the flash tune via laptop etc and I have read some worrying comments about the company on here...
I can't speak for the company's past history as I am unfamiliar with it, however, I had a great experience with Matt who runs the US division. Here's a most recent thread of their most recent work/feedback:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e39-m5-e52-z8-discussion/166722-what-powerchip-has-been-up.html

·
Registered
1,753 Posts
I'd be interested to know what you find out now I am in the same boat!

My car landed in in Perth WA last week and its sat in my garage. I get the plates tomorrow!! Can't wait....

·
Company Representative for Evolve Automotive
3,068 Posts
ESS are completely correct in what they say.

Like us they are company that actually do the tuning in house and there is literally no point in live tuning these ECU's even if you did have an emulator to do it.

M5555 - Not many companies live tune the S62's either...... there is little point and again, ECU needs to be opened and emulator plugged in place of the 29F200's.

·
Registered
4,597 Posts
I have read some worrying comments about the company on here...
Thanks, bit of a difference between E39 and E60...
I wasn't trying to show power comparison. Just wanted to address your concern and wanted to show you the service we've received as of late.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter #20 (Edited)
Tuning of the E39 and the E60 is completely different, I have been told the response via powerchip on the E39 and the E60 and saying this the E39 has a much better response to the tune whereas the E60 people have more complaints. I appreciate your comments though.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts