BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Advice for an e60 M5 shopper?

1K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  6G Schnell 
#1 ·
After looking into purchasing an e39 M5 I am unable to pull the trigger on the older style.

So I started looking at the e60 and I am starting to get hooked on the new body style. This week I am going to look at a 2006 M5 and I am looking for advice. Many threads talk of the many tranny problems and advantages and disadvantages of the SMG (as well as other new model issues). Would a 2006 with 15,000 miles have most of these gremlins repaired or should I expect some inconvenience with the pleasure? Finally, what options should I seek or avoid and why?

Thanks as always for the great insights shared.....Jim

#2 ·
Have a dealer run the VIN to see if the Vanos oil line and SMG hydraulic actuator bulletins have been done. If so, go for it.

For options, most think the HUD is a must. For me, rear side airbags are too. Others are personal preference.

#3 ·
Jim,
I bought a 2006 M5 a year ago with 20,000 miles. I now have 29,000 and no problems with anything. Mine is fully optioned except the rear seat heaters and rear window shade. I would recommend the full leather ( mine has that plus ventilated seats) as a must. I also love the HUD, comfort access and the activated seats. The fold down rear seats are a must for the trips to Costco etc. There are so many used M5's out there that I would always buy one that is fully loaded with all options. MSRP would be approx. 97K. Someday when you go to sell, you will be glad it has all the options.
Al

#9 ·
Just leased one

I have just leased and drove home 06 M5 four days ago (production 09/2005). I went through the same thought process as yours regarding SMG. Just make sure all the recalls were done and there is nothing to worry about. In my case the dealer showed me the full maintenace history for the car and showed no mechanical or SMG failures at all. My car had 10000 miles only and in great shape, the previous owner clearly did not drive the car much. For me i decided to lease and return the car the day the warranty expires just in time for the new generation M5. You don't want to own it one day after warranty unless you extend the warranty. I also have to say that leasing incintives are not that great on a used M5 but i thought it is the safer way to go.
Good luck anyways

#10 ·
Should I look for a 2007 and not mess with the problems of the first model year?

Also, what experiences have you had leasing a used e60 M5? Can I expect rate to be similar to a 5yr. loan?

Thanks again for your thoughts....

#11 ·
Should I look for a 2007 and not mess with the problems of the first model year?

Also, what experiences have you had leasing a used e60 M5? Can I expect rate to be similar to a 5yr. loan?

Thanks again for your thoughts....
Agree with jasdad. If car has a clean history and recalls were done before any damage, then buying 06 should not be an issue.
Good luck!
:cheers:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.