BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Advice - Discount Tire Damages all 4 Rims

10273 Views 72 Replies 26 Participants Last post by  IRISH M5
Discount Tire scuffed up all 4 OEM rims during a tire change. Their solution was to leave the car with them and they would try and refinish them. No F'n way am I leaving my car in their possession.

Anybody had a similar experience and if so how did you handle it?
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

· Registered
3,504 Posts
yes make them buy you 4 new rims and replaced your scuffed wheels that would be the only solution to make it right. if they respray all four wheels they will never match the stock finish shadow chrome is not avil in the us

· Registered
274 Posts
"Flounder, you can't spend your whole life worrying about your mistakes! You ****ed up - you trusted us!" - Otter, from "Animal House"

Sorry for the dark humor, but it's the first thing that popped into my head when I read your post.

Too late now, but you never ever let some hack shop touch high end wheels. The factory wheel finish is too delicate to allow some kid working out back at Discount Tire, Wal-Mart, or Pep Boys, to mess with. Good luck with getting them to do much of anything. There is no way they can refinish to factory spec.

Always go to a high end wheel shop that has the proper, non-contact equipment, and then talk to the actual person who is going to do the work. Explain the delicate nature of the finish ahead of time. Sure it will cost a few more bucks, but it's a lot cheaper than having to refinish high end wheels. Discount tire is great for having new rim protectors fitted to the family minivan, but not for your M.

· Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Wheel Pictures

Here are some photos of the nicks. Notice that they also scratched around the lug bolts too.

Attachments

· Registered
3,982 Posts
That is just wrong!!!....I concurr though that refinishing the wheels to try and bring them to stock finish is futile....maybe have them polish the wheels to get rid of the rub/scrapes..and then powdercoat???...
do you think they will go for new rims??
S

· Registered
644 Posts
I use DT for all my tire needs but I have never replaced the tires on the original rims of the M5. I was planning to change the 8080s this summer though and DT was going to get my business. Is this a machine issue or human negligence? Shouldn't we warn them ahead to pay extra attention?

· Registered
1,023 Posts
I use DT for all my tire needs but I have never replaced the tires on the original rims of the M5. I was planning to change the 8080s this summer though and DT was going to get my business. Is this a machine issue or human negligence? Shouldn't we warn them ahead to pay extra attention?
I thought Discount Tire used pretty up-to-date Hunter equipment. This looks like the work of an idiot, not a faulty machine.

· Registered
1,202 Posts
Irish, i had the EXACT same thing happen to me but, this was a shop where I had tires put on previously with zero problems.

I was so sick about it that I could not even post a thread.

I told the manager that I knew every square inch of my car and that all four wheels had been damaged- he went to the jerk who did the "work" and of course he denied it.

The manager gave me a $100 discount - horray!!!

They simply denied everything. My car has a ton of miles on it and the wheels were not perfect and I WAS thinking of just replacing them - the tire shop forced my hand.

I just could not live with it and bought a brand new set - sold the old ones on e-bay for $1200.

A real shame - your wheels were beat up a little worse than mine but, they would still command a big buck on e-bay.

Very best of luck and I obviously know how you feel.

· Registered
132 Posts
Hey Irish,
Sorry to hear about that. I had very similar (albeit) worse scenario just a few weeks ago happen to me at a very "reputable" independent garage. The next time I bring my car/wheels anywhere for work done on it, I recommend spending a few minutes going over the entire car/wheels with the mechanic/service manager prior to having the work done. Kind of like you do when you rent a nice car - just in greater detail. That way everyone is covered. Sorry to see the damage but I doubt much will happen with Discount tires...let us know it's a real shame people don't respect others property and then deny the damage...

· Registered
7,879 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (SymbianOS/9.2; U; Series60/3.1 NokiaN95/20.0.015; Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 ) AppleWebKit/413 (KHTML, like Gecko) Safari/413 UP.Link/6.3.1.20.06.3.1.20.0)

pm aw/ir02smg same thing happen to him and the shop paid for everything.

· Registered
4,116 Posts
Discount Tire does use the latest "touch less" equipment, but the equipment does not prevent human error! Based on my experience with DT, they will try to refinish the wheels. This actually may work. When the local BMW dealer curbed one of my wheels last year, a local branch of a national chain (Alloy Wheel Repair) refinished it perfectly; I cannot tell the difference between the refinished wheel and the originals, even almost a year later (picture attached). Prior to this experience I also believed "it can't be done"; the dealer's response was "let us try - if you don't like it we'll replace the wheel."

Just today I took the M coupe in to DT to repair a tire. As is now my usual policy, the manager and I inspected the rim together before hand and agreed on the condition. If this is done, you can be sure extra care will be given!

Good luck.

Attachments

· Registered
11 Posts
I had the same thing happen to one of my wheels at Big O Tires. Their solution was to give me an aftermarket rim. I passed on that idea concerned about color match, durability etc.

Since I'd been thinking about going with BBS rims, I suggested that the win-win scenario was for them to sell me the BBS rims at their price. Ended up with BBS RGRs mounted and out the door for $2400.

· Registered
166 Posts
Grrr!! I know the feeling. Sorry to hear about that Richard. The same thing happened to me at the Goodyear Tire Center. The manager had them redone and I asked him to do it in gunmetal. They took care of it. Discount Tires should do the same thing. Or you can make them buy you new rims.

· Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Plan of action.

I am going to have a local reputable company inspect the damage. I am 100% sure that they will say that the damage is new based on rough edges etc.

I also have high resolution photos that show that the damage is not curb rash, wrong type of damage.

My local BMW dealership will be getting the car for a look too. They know how anal I am!

I will also be getting a quote from BMW for new wheels saying that the wheels can't be refinished in the original color.

I have a few other "aces in the hole" that I cannot discuss here.

How does this all sound?

· Registered
3,982 Posts
Plan of action.

I am going to have a local reputable company inspect the damage. I am 100% sure that they will say that the damage is new based on rough edges etc.

I also have high resolution photos that show that the damage is not curb rash, wrong type of damage.

My local BMW dealership will be getting the car for a look too. They know how anal I am!

I will also be getting a quote from BMW for new wheels saying that the wheels can't be refinished in the original color.

I have a few other "aces in the hole" that I cannot discuss here.

How does this all sound?
Sounds like man with a plan:thumbsup:....gather all your ducks before you go hunting!!....oh and if that does not work...let me know....I might have a cousin or two around there:cool2:..j/k...not really...nah I'm kidding...ya think?:cool2:
S

· Registered
1,641 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
I might have a cousin or two around there:cool2:..j/k...not really...nah I'm kidding...ya think?:cool2:
S
Ever heard about the Irish Mafia?

When I lived in New York (Pelham, Westchester) I had many Italian friends. Hell (no not Hell's Kitchen :haha:) I got married at Alex and Henry's in Scarsdale. Italians gave the biggest cash gifts. I should have invited more of them :thumbsup:

Sergio, I am sure you know about the section of Pelham Bay Park (Bronx) east of 95 down to Throgs Neck Bridge? I knew all those guys. I ran for the Pelham Bay Athletic Club, one of the few (only) Irish guys. Most were cops, firemen, EMS and sanitation workers. We all hung out at MetroFit. One of the best times of my life.

· Registered
3,564 Posts
my suggestion is get a printed quote from the dealer on how much four new wheels would cost. bring it to the shop, and tell them you want the new tires for free as refinishing wouldnt be the same, and cost of new wheels out weighs the new tires... if they bite, thats pretty much the only solution imo. if not freeze the payment on the credit, and take it from there.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.