BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I currently have a 00 540iA with 80K miles on it. Its had all the typical 540 problems that have all been fixed so its running strong now. I have been thinking about replacing it with an E39 M5 but started to think that the new 550 which should be out by Sept/Oct, might be a better option. The potential maintenance costs on an M5 would probably be more. I still like the way the E39 looks but its starting to look dated to me. The E60 has grown on me but I'm not sure if its grown on me enough. I think that the 550 is supposed to have 360hp so powerwise its getting close. I don't know what to do...any opinions?

Thanks

·
Registered
4,082 Posts
Well, if you have not already, test drive a 545 6-speed and an M5. I doubt the minimal power increase of the 550 will sway you one way or another if you really like either the 545 or the M5 better. I was amazed how different the cars felt when I was test driving them both prior to purchase.

As you state the warrantee can be longer (depending on the CPO status of the E39 and the extended warrantee option with the E60) with the 550 but the E60 is not seeming as reliable as the E39 by a long shot (mostly, it seems, due to electronic issues), so it may be a wash. I can't stand taking the time to take a car to the shop in or out of warrantee.

Good luck!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
KevinM said:
Well, if you have not already, test drive a 545 6-speed and an M5. I doubt the minimal power increase of the 550 will sway you one way or another if you really like either the 545 or the M5 better. I was amazed how different the cars felt when I was test driving them both prior to purchase.

As you state the warrantee can be longer (depending on the CPO status of the E39 and the extended warrantee option with the E60) with the 550 but the E60 is not seeming as reliable as the E39 by a long shot (mostly, it seems, due to electronic issues), so it may be a wash. I can't stand taking the time to take a car to the shop in or out of warrantee.

Good luck!
I drove the M5 a couple of times and it was outstanding. The example that I drove had a creaky door and something in the steering column was buzzing. I was surprised since it was an 02 with 26kmi. Otherwise it was great. I'm going to drive the 545 today. There do seem to be a lot of problems with the E60 from what I've read. There are a lot of problems on the E39 boards but they seem to pop up after 40kmi not right out of the box.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Be sure to test an E60 545 with the sport-suspension and active dampers.
Aviod the variable steering stuff.

Make sure to enjoy the superb brakes.

David

1 - 4 of 4 Posts