BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am going to sign up for the Advanced M School at VIR. I want to pound on some M5 / M6 and the new M3 with MDCT.

My big concern is weather. While nothing is perfectly predictable, and I have narrowed it down to late August or mid September. Any concerns with either?

I would like September since the cooler air will give a bit more power.

Any place that I can look at some statistics?

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
2,217 Posts
VIR = ?

And i'm sure if there was bad weather they would accommodate the situation and figure something reasonable out.

·
Registered
534 Posts
You can get an idea of the average weather conditions (high & low temp and average rainfall) for any US city for any month by going to this website:
http://countrystudies.us/united-states/weather/ - select Virginia, then pick a nearby City.

VIR is in Alton, but is close to Danville (~12 miles), the direct website for Danville, VA is:
http://countrystudies.us/united-states/weather/virginia/danville.htm

VIR's website also has a link for local weather (Weather.com) that gives more detailed weather forcasts up to a month in advance, here's a link for Vir's site:
http://www.virclub.com/vir/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Select "Local Weather" on the right hand menu and it will take you here:
http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/local/24520

That's the best I can do from the left coast; maybe someone in VA can weigh in with local knowledge.

Good Luck!

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Just do it. Either time is likely to be hot and humid. Rain is always a possibility, but all these events run rain or shine. When is the late August date? I will be there for the TrackDaze event on Aug 28 and 29 and, likely, the Aug. 23 and 24 member days. If the M School is near the TrackDaze dates, just plan to stay and join us for that so you can rag your own car on the track.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Short of torential rain, they will run. I did M school in May last year and we ran pretty heavy rain the whole second day. It was still fun for sure, slipping and sliding. I'm hitting the 2 day VIR advance M the end of March. Looking forward to it!:wroom:

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can get an idea of the average weather conditions (high & low temp and average rainfall) for any US city for any month by going to this website:
http://countrystudies.us/united-states/weather/ - select Virginia, then pick a nearby City.

VIR is in Alton, but is close to Danville (~12 miles), the direct website for Danville, VA is:
http://countrystudies.us/united-states/weather/virginia/danville.htm

VIR's website also has a link for local weather (Weather.com) that gives more detailed weather forcasts up to a month in advance, here's a link for Vir's site:
http://www.virclub.com/vir/index.php?option=com_frontpage&Itemid=1

Select "Local Weather" on the right hand menu and it will take you here:
http://www.weather.com/outlook/travel/vacationplanner/local/24520

That's the best I can do from the left coast; maybe someone in VA can weigh in with local knowledge.

Good Luck!

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Short of torential rain, they will run. I did M school in May last year and we ran pretty heavy rain the whole second day. It was still fun for sure, slipping and sliding. I'm hitting the 2 day VIR advance M the end of March. Looking forward to it!:wroom:
I did the 2 day M school in Spartanburg last year and it was 90% wet. I also have many days in the wet in my old track cars.... I don't mind it but I have more fun in the dry.

Let me know how your March runs go! I would go earlier but I want to try out the new M3 once it enters the fleet.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just do it. Either time is likely to be hot and humid. Rain is always a possibility, but all these events run rain or shine. When is the late August date? I will be there for the TrackDaze event on Aug 28 and 29 and, likely, the Aug. 23 and 24 member days. If the M School is near the TrackDaze dates, just plan to stay and join us for that so you can rag your own car on the track.

Thanks.... My choices are Aug 20 or Sept 9 start dates. Now you have my interest piqued for the August event since I could run my own car on the 23rd + 24th. Is there a website for this?

Should I bank on a set of tires to run 2 days at VIR? I think you also mentioned the Toyo 888s coming out in our sizes, any updates?

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Thanks.... My choices are Aug 20 or Sept 9 start dates. Now you have my interest piqued for the August event since I could run my own car on the 23rd + 24th. Is there a website for this?

Should I bank on a set of tires to run 2 days at VIR? I think you also mentioned the Toyo 888s coming out in our sizes, any updates?
The 23rd and 24th are VIR member days. You are welcome to come as my guest, but guests may drive only in the "Touring Lights" group which is no passing and behind a pace car (which moves along fairly well, but still not what you will be after the M School). You can ride with anyone, though.

Two days won't totally kill a set of tires, but will put a nice dent into them in an M5/M6. Someone here has been keeping up with the R888 release in our size. I don't remember when, but I seem to recall this spring.

For the VIR schedule, go to www.virclub.com.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The 23rd and 24th are VIR member days. You are welcome to come as my guest, but guests may drive only in the "Touring Lights" group which is no passing and behind a pace car (which moves along fairly well, but still not what you will be after the M School). You can ride with anyone, though.

Two days won't totally kill a set of tires, but will put a nice dent into them in an M5/M6. Someone here has been keeping up with the R888 release in our size. I don't remember when, but I seem to recall this spring.

For the VIR schedule, go to www.virclub.com.

Thanks alot for the offer, I am honored. I will need to think about it with the no passing rule. M School didn't allow for passing, I wonder if the Advanced M school will allow passing.

Also, any good hotel recommendations? With secure parking etc?

Thanks!

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Thanks alot for the offer, I am honored. I will need to think about it with the no passing rule. M School didn't allow for passing, I wonder if the Advanced M school will allow passing.

Also, any good hotel recommendations? With secure parking etc?

Thanks!
Are you serious about no passing in the M School??? Wow. Do ask about the Advanced.

There are no Ritzes or Four Seasons near VIR. Consider staying at the track in the Lodge. The other choices are the hotels like the Best Western in Danville, about 10-15 minutes away. Your car will be fine.

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Are you serious about no passing in the M School??? Wow. Do ask about the Advanced.

There are no Ritzes or Four Seasons near VIR. Consider staying at the track in the Lodge. The other choices are the hotels like the Best Western in Danville, about 10-15 minutes away. Your car will be fine.

Yes, no passing at M School, they space people apart. The reason why I want to do the Advanced M school is to drive the new M3. I hope there is passing there and I will ask.

Again, thanks alot for your offer..... You have the gears in my head turning. :cheers:

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
One observation from my experience with the regular 2 day M School.... There was a wide range in track experience from the members.....people with track / race experience and some relative noobs with next to no experience....I suspect this is why passing is not allowed since there was no break up into run groups.

In one of the exercises, we were doing heel-n-toe exercises in the Z4Ms in the wet, very few did well in this exercise.

I am hoping the advanced M school will be more track oriented.....honestly, I just want to drive the M cars back to back.

·
Registered
376 Posts
T Bone, Two things..I talked to the Performance school director and he said the new M3 will be there to drive in March. Also, They did space us but I can't blame them for no passing and that part didn't matter for me. I don't want a Lewis Hamilton wannabe trying to outbreak me. Passing in a school like that is just an accident waiting to happen, let alone with brand new M5/M6/M3's. I had an absolute blast at the last one. The school I was in had a big off of a guy infront of me in an M5. Broke front wheel, bunch of body damage and shaken(not stirred) up.
Some guys i'm heading down with and I are getting a 3 bedroom suite at the track. It's easy and has all the necessities.
I got the itinerary and it breaks the track into North/South courses. Different drills and timed events. They will video incar like at Spartansburg. The final day we are doing lead/follow on full course, but i'm sure we will go as hard as we are able. They encourage it! Did you do the school in the beginning of May? We may have met.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
T Bone, Two things..I talked to the Performance school director and he said the new M3 will be there to drive in March. Also, They did space us but I can't blame them for no passing and that part didn't matter for me. I don't want a Lewis Hamilton wannabe trying to outbreak me. Passing in a school like that is just an accident waiting to happen, let alone with brand new M5/M6/M3's. I had an absolute blast at the last one. The school I was in had a big off of a guy infront of me in an M5. Broke front wheel, bunch of body damage and shaken(not stirred) up.
Some guys i'm heading down with and I are getting a 3 bedroom suite at the track. It's easy and has all the necessities.
I got the itinerary and it breaks the track into North/South courses. Different drills and timed events. They will video incar like at Spartansburg. The final day we are doing lead/follow on full course, but i'm sure we will go as hard as we are able. They encourage it! Did you do the school in the beginning of May? We may have met.
You guys will have a great time, but I guarantee you that the experience will make you immediately looking for a full-on track event at VIR. All track events segregate participants into run groups based on experience and carefully define passing zones and rules. There is never racing into a corner. Can you post the itinerary? It would be interesting to see what is being done on which part of the track and what is being timed.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Advance M rundown:
Day 0ne:
High Speed Braking and Turning
Heel Toe Down Shift and Braking
Skid Pad
North Course-Lead/Follow
South Course-Lead/Follow
Skid Pad Car Control Techniques
Full Course Touring and Training
Reception/Dinner
Day Two:
Advanced Skid Pad Car Control Techniques
North Course-Lead/Follow
South Course-Lead/Follow
Full Course-Lead/Follow

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

Thanks Chakka....

I am not sure when I attended the regular 2 day M school but when I went, they had a big storm the night before they claimed all but one M6 got knocked out with the flooding.

When I went, a blue M5 went off in the wet, running over a storm grate and basically destroying the car, which prompted the removal of the only M6 in the program.

If we attended the same event then you will understand completely why I want to do a dry event in these cars :)

·
Registered
4,918 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
You guys will have a great time, but I guarantee you that the experience will make you immediately looking for a full-on track event at VIR. All track events segregate participants into run groups based on experience and carefully define passing zones and rules. There is never racing into a corner. Can you post the itinerary? It would be interesting to see what is being done on which part of the track and what is being timed.
I really look forward to it.... I am just planning my "season", I have 2 Mosport events, this will be my VIR event and I am looking to do one at Watkins Glen..... Not the 3 out of 4 weekends like I use to do years ago, but enough for me now :cheers:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
Guys -- I suggest that you invest some time watching videos of VIR before your event. This will be time well spent, since this is a track that takes a while to learn and your enjoyment will be greater if you are able to get used to the basic line around the track earlier, which will allow you to focus more on driving the car. There are numerous videos available, of all course configurations, but let me know if you would like some links.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Here is a link to a VIR video. http://vimeo.com/462521I did a PCA club school last December in my 550i. Not an M5 but still fun. This was my 2nd time at VIR so I was beginning to learn the track but still held some in reserve here and there.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts