BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
this morning i dropped off my beast at the dealer to have some stuff done diff fluid and other small issues,i asked them to move the hud for me, as some others have mentioned here on the boards.

i got a call from my s/a a little while ago saying that they won't do it cause they dont want to be liable in case they break something.. what do i do. i bought a 100k car and the hud does'nt work simply cause i can't see it.. i paid like the rest of you $1000.00 if it doesnt work i want my $$$$ back..

who should i call ?? what should i do ?? should i call bmwna and just ***** and moan..

i have the do it yourself directions from aa but why should i have to take apart my dash and worry about breaking something myself..

thanks neil

·
Registered
171 Posts
That's outrageous !! It is adjustable, and it is something that needs to be adjusted properly to be viewed, and there's no reason in the world why they should refuse. BMW even makes a special tool to adjusted, something which my dealership ordered so they could complete the adjustment which I have asked them to do.

If they break something, they can just fix it !!! They are an authorized service outlet, after all. Unbelievable !!

Simply demand that they do it. If that doesn't work, I would speak with the Service Manager and just start working my way up the chain of command, both within the dealership and then outside of it, until I got some satisfaction.

Honestly, I'm a bit flabbergasted that they would actually refuse to adjust it. Keep working on them.

Max

·
Registered
263 Posts
I Was told today by a dealer that the BMW party line now is that "It"s not adjustable period"

Hmmmm

·
Registered
263 Posts
I did notice on the one I drove yesterday that it would need adjusting. Seemed really low to me. They'll need to come up with a solution to this....

·
Registered
1,516 Posts
The HUD has a little adjustment, definitely the vertical angle which gives you a little left/right movement, and a little bit up or down. Mine is still lower than I would like it, but I moved it up to the top position. According to the instructions (Evosport's?), it pretty much will only stay in the upper or lower position. Yours is probably in the low position.

I bought a long 24" socket extension from Harbor Freight tools (they have a website too) and the instructions worked great. I think they say to use a 6mm socket though, and that was a big mistake. I think 5mm was correct (1mm smaller than they have in their instructions).

·
Registered
3,247 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just got off the phone with bmwna, a very nice woman, was actually surprised that they refused to adjust it and shes calling the dealership and calling me back..i'll keep you guys posted..

·
Registered
61 Posts
mstubbins said:
Great....Thanks
My buddy has a ZO6 and it's adjustable with a push of a button. I can't believe a 100k car doesn't have this feature.

·
Registered
8,301 Posts
HUD adjustment is a minor job...my dealership did it NO problem and NO Charge..simple..shifcan the dealer he sucks.....

·
Registered
58 Posts
It took me literally 10 min to adjust mine... Seriously, just 2 screws to take the Navi screen out and a nut to unscrew follow by 2 turns of the bolt. Did it with just a wrench with a long extension. There is no need for special tools.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,823 Posts
How tall are all of you that need the HUD adjusted? I am 6'2" and I could be quite a few inches shorter or taller and still see the HUD perfectly well. Are we talking about some real anatomical outliers or strange seat positions?

Also, if any of you are trying to see the HUD through polarized sunglasses, take them off and you literally will see the light.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
MRichmond said:
How tall are all of you that need the HUD adjusted? I am 6'2" and I could be quite a few inches shorter or taller and still see the HUD perfectly well. Are we talking about some real anatomical outliers or strange seat positions?

Also, if any of you are trying to see the HUD through polarized sunglasses, take them off and you literally will see the light.
A lot can be accomplished with adjusting the seat and your posture. I'm 6'2 and I have difficulty seeing above the cowl sometimes to see the HUD. One thing is if you're a sloucher or like the 'low-rider' posture with the seat all the way back and down, yeah, you're going to have a tough time. But if I sit up (which I should do more often anyway) and raise the height of the seat, all is well.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Would this process be the same on my 07 X5?

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
Interesting...Thanks! So I assume the process is the same for all HUD cars?

1 - 20 of 71 Posts