BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Who knows how to adjust the e-brake handle height? Mine hits the arm rest when the armrest is forward.

I also want to replace the brake handle. Someone posted this instruction. Does anyone know if this consistent with all E39 including M5's? I've heard the wood trim handle on the E39 M5 doesn't come off. I'm not sure if that is accurate. I haven't tried this instruction yet.

http://www.beastpower.com/Merchant2/merchant.mvc?page=BMI/PROD/BI-BE39-HB-HANDLE

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
a_ok2me said:
Who knows how to adjust the e-brake handle height?
You need to adjust the drum brakes in the rear. I've heard you can do it through a hole, but I just removed the brake disk/rotor/drum assembly and adjusted the shoes tha way. I've also heard you want to get the brake handle to the point where it is at 3-4 clicks when fully engaged. Mine is 4-5 clicks, didn't want to have those brakes dragging and slow me down!

:cheers:
-Bill

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ELEVENS said:
You need to adjust the drum brakes in the rear. I've heard you can do it through a hole, but I just removed the brake disk/rotor/drum assembly and adjusted the shoes tha way.
Thanks. I'm not sure if I understand. I didn't know they still make drums these days. I thought if you had to do it from the outside, there would be screws in the brake line that you need to adjust.

·
Registered
590 Posts
Aok, You can adjust the parking brake at the rear wheels. You take out one of the lug nuts roll the tire until it's at the bottom of the pattern then stick a screwdriver thru the hole and tighten the adjusting screw until you can't turn the wheel, then back off 12 notches and your set. Do the same to the other rear tire and your parking brake ought to be back up to where it belongs.

You could adjust at the parking brake handle but I prefer the rear wheels because the wear is in the brakes not the cable. BTW your car does have four wheel discs and the brake shoes for the parking brake is inside the rear rotors.

Hope this helps
Joe

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
hudson said:
Aok, You can adjust the parking brake at the rear wheels. You take out one of the lug nuts roll the tire until it's at the bottom of the pattern then stick a screwdriver thru the hole and tighten the adjusting screw until you can't turn the wheel, then back off 12 notches and your set. Do the same to the other rear tire and your parking brake ought to be back up to where it belongs.
Thanks guys. I'm not sure if you're talking about the one of the lugs that holds in the wheels and I'm not sure which hole you're talking about, but I'm sure your instructions will all make sense when I actually take the wheels out and see everything for myself.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
a_ok2me said:
Thanks guys. I'm not sure if you're talking about the one of the lugs that holds in the wheels and I'm not sure which hole you're talking about, but I'm sure your instructions will all make sense when I actually take the wheels out and see everything for myself.
You won't see anything unless you take off the rear rotors. The trick about using a screwdriver through the bolt hole is a big time saver, but you need to know what's underneath the rotor in order to do it properly. Here's a photo:

Note the adjustment wheel at the bottom. You need to use the screwdriver to poke at the wheel, rotating it along its axis. The adjuster gets longer or shorter depending on which way you turn the toothed wheel. This sets the preload on the parking brake shoes and determines how many clicks it takes to fully engage the parking brake.

Typical setting is 5 or 6 clicks. I think 3 clicks would be too tight.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
a_ok2me said:
I also want to replace the brake handle. Someone posted this instruction. Does anyone know if this consistent with all E39 including M5's? I've heard the wood trim handle on the E39 M5 doesn't come off. I'm not sure if that is accurate. I haven't tried this instruction yet.
FYI, the wood trim handle is glued on. With a few hard twists, I was able to take it out without breaking anything. The leather handle on my 528i is not glued.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
hudson said:
BTW your car does have four wheel discs and the brake shoes for the parking brake is inside the rear rotors.
Why did BMW use drums instead of the disc for e-brakes? It adds more weight and a few more parts. What don't I know?

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
a_ok2me said:
Why did BMW use drums instead of the disc for e-brakes? It adds more weight and a few more parts. What don't I know?
Many cars use drums instead of discs for parking brakes. It simplifies pad and rotor changes, since you don't have to disconnect a cable from the rear calipers or from an extra pair of parking brake calipers. And it makes retracting the caliper pistons easier, since you don't need a special tool to press and rotate the piston back in place. You just squeeze.

Personally, I'm grateful they chose to go with the parking drum set-up. It sure makes the rear big brake kit installations easier and the kits less expensive.

·
Registered
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
DZeckhausen said:
Personally, I'm grateful they chose to go with the parking drum set-up. It sure makes the rear big brake kit installations easier and the kits less expensive.
Oh.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts