BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There are discussions between a Swedish tuningfirm Autokinito in Uppsala and ourselfes of adjusting the cams for maximum performance. We are currently on their dyno with new exhaust and tommorow testing the new mapping done by firma JWR in Sweden.

To gain maximun performance you can adjust cams for max performance and not tourgue in lower revs. We only have paper on what it does on non vanos BMW engines (ex BMW 850 ca 35 hp).

Have anyone heard of anyone, tuning company etc and who knows if it's worth the effort and exact hp gain?

Jocke Qvarnström
http://www.itsfun.nu:thumbsup:

·
Registered
272 Posts
the M5 has variable cam timing and already optimizes for both low and high rpm power.

so Im not sure this approach will get you much on the m5

Qvarnis said:
There are discussions between a Swedish tuningfirm Autokinito in Uppsala and ourselfes of adjusting the cams for maximum performance. We are currently on their dyno with new exhaust and tommorow testing the new mapping done by firma JWR in Sweden.

To gain maximun performance you can adjust cams for max performance and not tourgue in lower revs. We only have paper on what it does on non vanos BMW engines (ex BMW 850 ca 35 hp).

Have anyone heard of anyone, tuning company etc and who knows if it's worth the effort and exact hp gain?

Jocke Qvarnström

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
TriflowM5 said:
A couple of companies do have cams avail for the m5....i know that Schrick does have stand alone cams avail but other comapnies have them integrated into a pwr pkg
It's not the question of changing cams, but to optimize the one allready in the car to perform better in higher rpm. If the car has a little less tourque in 2000 rpm in 6th gear i can live with.

Qvarnis:viking:

·
Registered
783 Posts
jmott is right, the cam timing is already adjusted automatically by the VANOS system (both intake and exhaust with dual vanos on the M5 and I think all current BMWs). I don't think there are any gains to get there.

Shrick makes cams with more duration and I think more lift. I priced them out once, if you search the board you'll find it.

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
i will chalk up my idiot response to early morning typing and brain functions.

The correct answer has been given, you cant adjust the cam timing yourself with the stock cams. It is taken care of with the Vanos control. NOW, if you could somehow reprogram that controller and knew what you were doing, you might be able to pick up some power, but its highly unlikely

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
TriflowM5 said:
i will chalk up my idiot response to early morning typing and brain functions.

The correct answer has been given, you cant adjust the cam timing yourself with the stock cams. It is taken care of with the Vanos control. NOW, if you could somehow reprogram that controller and knew what you were doing, you might be able to pick up some power, but its highly unlikely
Yes you can adjust the original cams. Not from stock but if you take them appart and to a machineshop they can prepare them to fit not as they were from the beginning (if you know what i mean). From their new position the Vanos again take controll, but with a new degree cam adjustment.

But before starting all this hustle i really need to know if it's worth the effort? Appr 2.000 USD incl everything demount & mount keyready.:confused3

Qvarnis
http://www.cityrace.nu/dempa/q

·
Registered
3,042 Posts
I understand what you are talking about..take the cams out, reposition them and then hook everything back up. I dont know if it would make that large of a difference. For 2000USD, you might as well buy the new sport cams from a company.....

Now, heres a question. I was looking at the pics that you have of your M. We have seen pics of it before and I wanted to know...what exhaust is that?

Also, who did the hood on your car? A few members are looking at a Carbon fiber hood and i noticed that you have a aftermarket one. I like the cut outs in it....who did it?

·
Registered
999 Posts
Speaking of cams, isn't the new BMW V10 supposed to have a camshaft-free engine? I remember seeing a design that uses solenoids to electronically fire the valves at any point, and for any duration. When that arrives, the games all over - just plug in the laptop and adjust away. Talk about "sport" mode! :D

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
TriflowM5 said:
I understand what you are talking about..take the cams out, reposition them and then hook everything back up. I dont know if it would make that large of a difference. For 2000USD, you might as well buy the new sport cams from a company.....

Now, heres a question. I was looking at the pics that you have of your M. We have seen pics of it before and I wanted to know...what exhaust is that?

Also, who did the hood on your car? A few members are looking at a Carbon fiber hood and i noticed that you have a aftermarket one. I like the cut outs in it....who did it?
You have understood correctly, taking them out and reposition them. 2000 USD is the whole bit. How much are just the aftermarket cams, no job included? If noone have tried it we will not do it.

The exhaust is from Swedish firma Ferrita. http://www.ferrita.se

The hood is no aftermarket hood. It's original but with vents done by friend Marco Harjunpää http://www.harjunpaa.nu

Regards/ Qvarnishiha

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
TriflowM5 said:
Qvarnis

any chance of a sound clip on that exhaust? just wondering what it would sound like

thanks for the info on the hood...i like the triangular vents

i really need to learn sweedish!
Webmaster are going to put up a soundfile on our homepage. Not sure when. Will try to remember to put it up here. Sounds veryveryvery good!!!:biggrin: That is, if you like NASCAR!

Are the vents in the front for your discs or filters? Were did you get that? If for the filters, how much did it increase hp?

Regards/ Jocke Qvarnström

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hey i have an 2000 Bmw m5 and i had the shrick cams put in it ! Its awesome but a month later my motor blew ! i admit i drive the M really hard but my vanos system is ****ed now ! i guess the screws on the vanos gears started to unscrew and then it hit the block after that the Cams mooved and the valves start hittin the pistens sooo ya , i duno about thouse cams !

·
Registered
784 Posts
RussiaM5 said:
Hey i have an 2000 Bmw m5 and i had the shrick cams put in it ! Its awesome but a month later my motor blew ! i admit i drive the M really hard but my vanos system is ****ed now ! i guess the screws on the vanos gears started to unscrew and then it hit the block after that the Cams mooved and the valves start hittin the pistens sooo ya , i duno about thouse cams !
So sorry...but it does not sound like it was a cam problem.......installation???

Good luck.

Shadowman

·
10,450 Posts
Aussie2U said:
Speaking of cams, isn't the new BMW V10 supposed to have a camshaft-free engine? I remember seeing a design that uses solenoids to electronically fire the valves at any point, and for any duration. When that arrives, the games all over - just plug in the laptop and adjust away. Talk about "sport" mode! :D
You're talking about bmw's 'valvetronic' design, which is on the 4.4l v8's, and some 4's and 6's too, i believe. The m5's v10 will have cams, from what i've read, the valvetronic doesn't work fast enough to give the throttle response we expect from an Mcar.
Mike

·
Registered
24 Posts
RussiaM5 said:
Hi Russia

It does not sound like a cam problem or an installation problem. A bad install would have been obvious when you first run the engine. The PWM range of the cams will not cause the cams to crash into the pistons, fail safe margins are engineeres into the vanos mechanism. Even if the cams are installed out of range ( base setting) the CEL would have triggered very quickly! This is most often caused by an over-rev. Is also more likely with higher lift exhaust cam profiles.

Osh aka Phoneix2005.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Qvarnis said:

Jocke Qvarnström
Many of the members stated that the s62 cams adjust automatically This is true. Any small mechanical changes will be corrected by the DME as it is programmed to do so (PWM). The m70/s72 V12 was very simple to modify as the cams where adjustable and or re-ground to move the centerline for added scavanging. The only way you can make a global change to the timing on the S62 is by re-engineereing the starwheels. Hasn't been done by anyone else to my knowledge. The other way to change the cam timing is to modify the logic of the camshaft lookup tables. This is very difficult to do on this engine without a laboratory setting that can indicate camshfat activity in real time. This not for the lighthearted. Make shure your tuner is capable of doing such recalibrations.

Note: Any changes made to the vanos tables should be done in consideration to the airflow demands of the engine mods. Doing this to a stock motor is most likely futile!

Hope that helps.

Osh

·
Registered
439 Posts
as in osh from rms?

phoenix2005 said:
Many of the members stated that the s62 cams adjust automatically This is true. Any small mechanical changes will be corrected by the DME as it is programmed to do so (PWM). The m70/s72 V12 was very simple to modify as the cams where adjustable and or re-ground to move the centerline for added scavanging. The only way you can make a global change to the timing on the S62 is by re-engineereing the starwheels. Hasn't been done by anyone else to my knowledge. The other way to change the cam timing is to modify the logic of the camshaft lookup tables. This is very difficult to do on this engine without a laboratory setting that can indicate camshfat activity in real time. This not for the lighthearted. Make shure your tuner is capable of doing such recalibrations.

Note: Any changes made to the vanos tables should be done in consideration to the airflow demands of the engine mods. Doing this to a stock motor is most likely futile!

Hope that helps.

Osh

1 - 20 of 23 Posts