BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 1992 3.6 E34 M5. It goes and stops great. Once on the power it handles good. On entry, coming off the brakes, it lurches about a bit. This is unsettling and prevents me from nailing it till late in the turn.

I don't want to go mega low/super stiff as I use the car. What is reccomendation for adjustable shocker spring packages. Something with 50.0mm of ride height variation would be best.

Sean.

·
Registered
517 Posts
I use adjustable konis.

·
Registered
37 Posts
gaz dampers

had mine rebuilt by this company to make them fully adjustable,
still need to find the best spring rates as front 500s are too hard and rears as supplied too soft, if anyone has any idea what would be the best i dont want to keep guessing

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
had mine rebuilt by this company to make them fully adjustable,
still need to find the best spring rates as front 500s are too hard and rears as supplied too soft, if anyone has any idea what would be the best i dont want to keep guessing
I believe the fronts on a standard EDC 3.8 are about 250lbs, so somewhere between that at 500lbs should suit you!

·
Registered
224 Posts
The Koni/H&R Combo is a very popular upgrade. They are "fitted" for the 535 since the M5s all had SLS/EDC but fit on the M5 just fine. I haven't had a chance to drive my car yet with them on but will report in when I do. Not too much of a drop compared to stock ride height.

·
Registered
3,431 Posts
The Koni/H&R Combo is a very popular upgrade. They are "fitted" for the 535 since the M5s all had SLS/EDC but fit on the M5 just fine. I haven't had a chance to drive my car yet with them on but will report in when I do. Not too much of a drop compared to stock ride height.
That's what I have, but my rears rub on fast cornering and dips in the road when I'm using the 255 rear tyre option, but they're fine if I use the 235 rear option.

Looking to raise mine about 1" somehow!

·
Registered
224 Posts
I have 245s all around right now--thanks for the info as I obviously won't go wider in the rear when my Bridgestones take the piss.

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
That's what I have, but my rears rub on fast cornering and dips in the road when I'm using the 255 rear tyre option, but they're fine if I use the 235 rear option.

Looking to raise mine about 1" somehow!
I have KONI/Eibach and no rubbing.

And I use 265's out back.

·
Registered
19 Posts
I don't think your car should lurch about. Have you checked your suspension for adverse wear? Please elaborate on "lurch about".

H&R and Eibachs offer little in performance upgrade to an E34 M5 (the factory setup is very good for street driving). They are lowering springs. I'm pretty sure the Eibachs have lower rates than OE.

If deleting HLL, you can go to 535i M Tech springs for a rate similar to OE if not a bit stiffer.

I run Konis. They have more compression damping than OE, but rebound is adj.

Trent

·
Registered
14 Posts
i need some help with spring rates for my 3.6 i am going to track it and i'm getting some springs made, its not going to be used on the road anymore so i was wondering if anyone has gone down this route and got any fiigures front and back, just as a starting point. thanks

·
Registered
353 Posts
I love my Dinan setup...adjustable koni shocks and Dinan springs, Racing Dynamics strut bar, Touring RSB, and Powerflex. Very compliant and neutral with a slight rear bias when getting on it or in the wet. Then again, my car is 80% agressive daily driver/10% autocross/10% track toy. For a dedicated track setup it's too soft, and I'd probably be on some KW V2's with adjustable camber plates and sway bars. Let's not forget the powerflex bushings, good for any type of use and a must to get the best out of a new setup.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts