BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've compiled almost all strut/suspension parts....but didn't order the little additional shock absorbers that mount on top of the strut shaft. Is it bad to not have them? Are they there as real shock absorbers....or to keep the shaft clean/wiped?

No. 9 in the image:

·
Registered
1,683 Posts
N°9 is the bumpstop.

its a rubbertype off stopper so the suspension/strut dont bottems out in worst cases when you go in deep putholes or something..

·
Registered
1,067 Posts
Over the years I have generally re-used the rubber bump stops in strut/shock replacements (different cars). Occasionally, I'll find one to be pretty squished and wish I had picked up a new one, but I've never experienced any deleterious effects by re-using them. YMMV.

·
Registered
3,276 Posts
EasyE I just replaced my fronts a few months ago at 96k. The only part I replaced with new was #4...and that's because #4 comes new with the Konis.
Many here (seems like yourself included) replace everything by default figuring 'why not since it's all apart.' In reality when you take the fronts apart you'll most likely find everything there in perfectly fine and reusable condition.
All I did was clean and degrease EVERYTHING...especially the inside of boot #10...and reassemble. Glad I didn't 'waste' the money replacing all of those other parts. I could see pre-ordering all the peices for the rear though just in case since they're harder to get to, but the fronts are just so simple I didn't bother preordering anything.

Hopefully, you find what I found and just be able to return it all for a nice little refund.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
I agree with TMcNasty.
In my case,only the tower mounts ( part no.1 ) seemed very consumed and rough compared to the new ones, after 110k on them. But like he said,the rest of the components were just fine.

Reactions: Easy E

·
Registered
5,532 Posts
I've compiled almost all strut/suspension parts....but didn't order the little additional shock absorbers that mount on top of the strut shaft. Is it bad to not have them? Are they there as real shock absorbers....or to keep the shaft clean/wiped?

No. 9 in the image:

This is from another thread :

This was not fitted, Front Additional Damper (Number 9 on the diagram) :

...and this (number 7 on the diagram) Spring Pad Upper which was my fault and double ordered as I forgot it came along with the Guide Support itself ?????? :

If anyone is interested this is the box of my stock suspension, 116K Miles (about 4 and a half times around the world !) or at least I think its stock and the original set from factory.... :

...and no leaks .... :applause:
Are you going for 100% stock replacement of spring and dampers ?

When you go uprated updampers and springs, a few of the consumable bits form BMW are not required. I found after buying them all of course :).

Reactions: Easy E
1 - 7 of 7 Posts