BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
So I read through the M5 service directions. The pumps on either side of the pan will pump the oil out of the heads when G forces are over .8. Unfortunately it appears they are plumed internally. The main oil pump is variable displacement(over engineered) vane pump. using the cooler lines would mean the the pump would have too allow a certain amount of bypass. At 113k on the clock it is possible. An accumulator would work for sure. It would only require a single tee connection and there is plenty of room behind the front reinforcement. The cost is about 5x higher than a pump though. Maybe I'll try a pump and if that doesn't work I can switch to an accumulator.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well I got one cat done. It's a real PITA, a lot cheaper though. I used a paddle drill bit and a long scraper. The material is metal and about six inches thick. One to go and as soon as I get the o rings from Jim and the accumulator in I will be back on the road.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well I got one cat done. It's a real PITA, a lot cheaper though. I used a paddle drill bit and a long scraper. The material is metal and about six inches thick. One to go and as soon as I get the o rings from Jim and the accumulator in I will be back on the road. View attachment 932630 View attachment 932631
Looks good, I'm planning on doing this job as well, how long did it take you to do one side?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
A few hours, the second one I hope to be better. My plan is too drill holes and then cut in-between with the chisel. once the material breaks loose it's much harder to work. I figure it can't be much worse than trying to change the headers?

·
Registered
267 Posts
A few hours, the second one I hope to be better. My plan is too drill holes and then cut in-between with the chisel. once the material breaks loose it's much harder to work. I figure it can't be much worse than trying to change the headers?
That and I assume you don't have to worry about emissions where you're at. I got the RMS headers with V-bands and can swap back the cats easy whenever it's time.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Got the accumulator mocked up. Plenty of room for plumbing but not the gauge. One thing at a time. Right now I'm having trouble with my cable to bleed the SMG pump.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well I got it all done and back together. Rear diff input shaft seal, rear diff oil change(redline shock proof), Trans oil change(redline MTL), Engine oil and filter change, SMG motor clean and oil change and decat the headers. The car sounds about the same but I added a little red. The screen in the front should improve air flow and keep the bigger bits out. I'm going to stew on the accumulator for awhile and work on my E38 and AMX.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I second the fumoto drain valve install. Makes my oil changes super simple. I have 2 extra valves if anyone wants to buy them.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts