BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So my dealer added oil to my tank few months back... And when i did a oil change recently, i saw that the screw plug on the tank wasnt all the way screwed in and it was leaking a lil oil..

Im gonna go this week to my indy, open the plug and add oil until it flows out, then close her back up..

Is there anything special i should do when filling the tank? Or just open add and close?

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
This has been batted around here before too. The BMW software says to depressurize the SMG system before a fluid check. You wonder why because the reservoir is not pressurized. My own theory is the accumulator is empty when depressurized and so now that fluid is in the reservoir. Now when you top it off, you have the correct level. Lets say the accumulator has just been filled by opening the door and the pump primes or fills the accumulator. Now the reservoir level is down some what but you now top that off. If you ever deplete the accumulator by shifting or depressurized the accumulator there is no room left in the reservoir for the fluid to go. It will come out of the vent hole and that's no big deal. There is some head space in the reservoir too and imagine that's there for fluid expansion when the fluid gets hot. I fill mine cold and depressurized like the software says although the instructions don't mention temperature. I'm sure others just fill it and that's fine too. That's my 2 cents.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This has been batted around here before too. The BMW software says to depressurize the SMG system before a fluid check. You wonder why because the reservoir is not pressurized. My own theory is the accumulator is empty when depressurized and so now that fluid is in the reservoir. Now when you top it off, you have the correct level. Lets say the accumulator has just been filled by opening the door and the pump primes or fills the accumulator. Now the reservoir level is down some what but you now top that off. If you ever deplete the accumulator by shifting or depressurized the accumulator there is no room left in the reservoir for the fluid to go. It will come out of the vent hole and that's no big deal. There is some head space in the reservoir too and imagine that's there for fluid expansion when the fluid gets hot. I fill mine cold and depressurized like the software says although the instructions don't mention temperature. I'm sure others just fill it and that's fine too. That's my 2 cents.
Thanks for that great explanation.. Makes sense now..

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Bringing this thread back up.. I got DIS up and running on my computer.. Was gonna tackle filling the tank this week, and or checking the level.. But TIS says to vent the system after feeling? Is this really necessary to run the bleeding procedure after just checking the level?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts