BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All,

I currently have and daily a 2002 e46 330i 5-speed Mtech 1. I've had this car for a number of years. It's in almost mint shape; I've wrenched on it myself since the day I bought it.

Thought i'm not getting rid of the 330i i'm starting to get bored and have decided on an e39 M5 as my next purchase.

I have a few questions, are the e39's (M5) as easy to wrench on as the e46's?

I've done some research and have found numerous thread on this, but where can I find a definitive guide on common issues/maintenance items?

Lastly, I've read about the carbon issue, how big of a deal is this really?

·
Registered
982 Posts
They are easy to wrench on, maybe a bit more complex and parts are more expensive, but overall nothing crazy.
Carbon buildup IS an issue. There are ways to deal with it, though.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I live in a warm weather climate ( South Florida). From my reading the carbon only affects cold starts. Is this true?

·
Registered
862 Posts
I'd say not appreciably harder. And just look to the stickies at top of forum for DIY recommendations.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Hey, I just sold my 330i M tech I slick top. Great car. I have owned many different models and feel like they are are pretty similar to work on. If you can wrench on an e46 you can work on a M5.
The carbon issue can be solved with coding and there are a few options out there. Not that difficult. Now to pull everything apart and clean all the carbon, that is a big task.
Lastly, I can't say how much fun I am having with my M5. I always wanted more out of my e46, it felt like it could never really get you in trouble. The M5 is a different animal and probably my most favorite M car I have owned.
Good luck!

·
Registered
7,500 Posts
I live in a warm weather climate ( South Florida). From my reading the carbon only affects cold starts. Is this true?
Yes, that's correct. It is a build-up in the secondary air passages from the air pump (electric) through SAI passages in the cylinder heads to the exhaust ports (therein is where blockage occurs) that are used only during a cold start to force air into the exhaust to light off the cats faster. Without SAI working, there is a slight increase in emissions during a cold start for a brief time.

It has no effect on engine performance.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts