BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
does anyone know if you can add an additional amp for a sub, keeping the stock amp.if so is it an easy install.another words i'd like to wire it from the trunk. thanks:M5launch:

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
you can take the rear speaker output into a transformer or solid state coupler that reduces the level for input to an amplifier

although it's been done (by the less than talented guys that did my original subwoofer install), it's not a good idea to take the amplifier output to the speakers directly into the new amp

if you search posts you may come up with some specific part recommendations

·
Registered
931 Posts
I added a Alpine amp for the JL subs by running one pair of stock sub leads to the amp input. I did nothing to the other three pairs. So far no problems, subs work well.

Good luck with yours...

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
so you didn't need any other adapters? thanks for your help
mr_bock said:
I added a Alpine amp for the JL subs by running one pair of stock sub leads to the amp input. I did nothing to the other three pairs. So far no problems, subs work well.

Good luck with yours...

·
Registered
931 Posts
The stock M Sound subs are dual voice coil. There are a total of four pair of out output lines from the amp. I looked at the left side outputs and used a VOM to compair each pair while powered ( not sure if one pair is used for NAV/Phone?). I tied off all unused outputs (insulated) and connected the one pair to the Alpine input which has the output bridged to the pair of new subs. I don't know if the outputs not used would cause any problems..... only time will tell. Maybe someone knows the answer?

Best of Luck! :cheers:

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
great, thank you:M5thumbs:
mr_bock said:
The stock M Sound subs are dual voice coil. There are a total of four pair of out output lines from the amp. I looked at the left side outputs and used a VOM to compair each pair while powered ( not sure if one pair is used for NAV/Phone?). I tied off all unused outputs (insulated) and connected the one pair to the Alpine input which has the output bridged to the pair of new subs. I don't know if the outputs not used would cause any problems..... only time will tell. Maybe someone knows the answer?

Best of Luck! :cheers:

1 - 6 of 6 Posts