BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, after a quick google search I found that this “crumbling wiring” in the headlights is more than a common thing! I DID get a chuckle(psychopathic crying laugh) when I pulled my headlight covers to find more copper wires exposed than insulation on the wires.

I’ve seen some guys use liquid wire to fix it but man, there’s nothing left to mine.

What is the common repair/remedy for this? I see new lights for about $1,500. That would definitely be an unexpected blow to my budget but is 1 of 2 of my last things to fix. Adaptive headlight malfunction and passenger seat weight sensor.

I don’t want to code it out as I always prefer to “sort” out issues, not cover them up!

·
Registered
190 Posts
This is par for the course for BMW E60s. They were trying to be more eco friendly, which means that all the plastics basically self destruct, so it is easier recycle. It also substantially pads their wallet since it forces owners that want to preserve our cars to rebuild stuff that never should require rebuilding. It is sub-par engineering by any measure and totally unacceptable, but it is proof that durability was not a concern during the vehicle development process. The upside is that this is why these cars are worth 10-15k. The more expensive ones are afflicted with the same problems.

Any wire and convolute insulation (the black wire loom) that runs by high heat areas is subject to this self destruction, it is just a matter of time. I am rebuilding my engine wire harness on a 2010 because of this. Here is a pic of part of the engine harness that runs to the alternator. This is relatively close to the driver side header. The insulation on the blue wire is fine at this point, but additional exposure of this to heat will absolutely fry the insulation and turn it in to what you have in your headlights.

Raychem DR heat shrink made my TE Connectivity (formerly Tyco) is a much more proper heat shrink tube. You can slide this over each wire individually, but you have to "unpin" each wire from the hard shell connector to get it off and then slide the heat shrink tube on. I had some experience with this stuff years ago when I was an engineer so repinning connectors doesn't faze me.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I recently had my adaptive headlights replaced under extended warranty for this issue, BMW charged over $5k... my 04 530 daily driver has the same issue, I used self fusing tape to repair.

·
Registered
143 Posts
does anyone know the part numbers for the wiring harnesses inside the headlights? back in the day I was able to get just the harnesses for my e36 M3 headlights, just had to order them from Europe. I've searched online for the e60 but can't find anything.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts