BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
I thought the E60 M5 didn't come with active steering...

·
Registered
3,988 Posts

·
Registered
2,094 Posts
+2. 100% no active steering.

It is interesting to note what technology the M engineers had to scrap in order to make the M5 chassis perform. They ditched current 5-series innovations such as active steering, active anti-roll bars, and run-flat tires. In place of the active steering is a passive, mechanically variable ratio that changes imperceptibly once you turn the wheel past a certain point. There are two levels of power-steering assist, light and heavy, that change depending on which damper setting you choose (comfort, normal, or sport). In the softest setting, the dampers take the harshness out of the ride, and the steering is noticeably lighter in that mode.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
+2. 100% no active steering.

It is interesting to note what technology the M engineers had to scrap in order to make the M5 chassis perform. They ditched current 5-series innovations such as active steering, active anti-roll bars, and run-flat tires. In place of the active steering is a passive, mechanically variable ratio that changes imperceptibly once you turn the wheel past a certain point. There are two levels of power-steering assist, light and heavy, that change depending on which damper setting you choose (comfort, normal, or sport). In the softest setting, the dampers take the harshness out of the ride, and the steering is noticeably lighter in that mode.
Thanks for the clarification, I am performing SI B34 05 06 on my M5 (which the dealer never accomplished and now its out of warranty). I am replacing the SZL optical sensor, the kit only cost me 21 dollars at getbwmparts.com. My dealer and local shops wanted over 1,000 dollars for this repair. I bought the service manual on ebay for 15 dollars on DVD (its awesome), probably buying BMW DIS diagnostic scanner for 700 dollars on ebay (to calibrate the SZL) and still have money leftover from the quoted repair costs.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts