BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know why Active cruise control is NOT an option on the new M5? :typing: :(

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Maybe the car would accelerate too quickly in "active" mode and scare your pants off!? :confused3

It could be related to the lack of space in the front air dam area - heck they couldn't get front foglights fitted so what chance of getting that bulb type sensor for the active cruise.

I do still find it odd that it was in the brochure - as seen here:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=32102&highlight=Active+Cruise+Control

??????

·
Registered
3,886 Posts
bmwnewm5 said:
Does anyone know why Active cruise control is NOT an option on the new M5? :typing: :(
Yes. No one that drives an M5 should have another car in front of them for more than a few seconds.:hihi:

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Gustav said:
ACC will not be avail. The sensor is in the way for more air as well as it is not suited for the M drivers ;)
I still say that my M is a daily driver. For 80 to 90 percent of the time -- or more-- most drivers drive M cars like NORMAL cars, at least in the USA. There are LONG stretches of Interstate highways with LOW speed limits. Why wouldn't ACC be good for M drivers who drive there M cars away from the race track occassionally? The M5 is a SEDAN. This is one of its charms. It should offer some comfort features, since most of the time it will be on normal roads doing normal driving. Rear seats and doors are not suited for an M driver either, if you extend your logic. :1:

·
Registered
2,810 Posts
I for one just don't like the idea of the car having that much control. There are already enough problems with people not paying attention on the road. Giving them this will make it that much worse. I use my cruise alot on trips, except at night because it forces me to focus more when I am controlling the speed.

·
Registered
192 Posts
bmwnewm5 said:
Because its too expensive for BMW M-GmbH.

With this engine and transmission a completely new development for the ACC would be needed. Thats too expensive for these few cars.
The other Point is, that this development must be done by the BMW AG and the M-GmbH cannot be sure that its adapted in M-Style. Means more agressive and sporty.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts