BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone here retro fitted or heard of anyone fitting the active cruise control set up into their m5? or does anyone know if you could buy this as an option? been looking around and i cant seem to find much info on the subject. i already have pdc sensors in the front and i can see the picture in the cluster for it. so now im wondering what it would take to make it all work. i do know that there will be some coding involved but what hardware is need?

·
Registered
2018 F82 M4 Competition in Silverstone Metallic II
3,336 Posts
ACC uses a radar sensor, not our PDC's. It would be a very costly upgrade.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Can't say I'd trust the PDC sensors for that anyway. :eek:oohhh:

·
Registered
3,189 Posts
I've never seen any part numbers for this system, and as far as I know it was only ever offered on the 7 series E38 and not the E39. The symbol on the dash is only there because the cluster unit uses common parts with the E38.

However, if you find the parts I'd be interested to see how you get on!

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
I've never seen any part numbers for this system, and as far as I know it was only ever offered on the 7 series E38 and not the E39. The symbol on the dash is only there because the cluster unit uses common parts with the E38.

However, if you find the parts I'd be interested to see how you get on!

well, the E38 shared cruise control and engines/DMEs with the 540; so maybe i'm in luck!? probably not, I think I would need a 99+ 540.

Either way, the E38 shares most modules/computers with the E39; so, it should be doable.

who wants to buy me the sensor and I can give it a go!?

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
Good luck, but don't think it is economical to do so.

cheers

·
Registered
4,893 Posts

Attachments

·
Registered
3,896 Posts
Matt,

It seems that insofar as the E38 ACC is concerned, it is assumed that the vehicle is equipped with an automatic transmission. It would be quite a retrofit to say the least.

-Josiah

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
I would not TRUST a ACC retro fitted in the M, if it was not there from the beginning.

·
Registered
4,893 Posts
I would not TRUST a ACC retro fitted in the M, if it was not there from the beginning.

why? would you really pay so little attention to the road that it would be that much of a concern?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
wow thats a crazy amount of response in a short time any way i just figured it would be one of those cool factor things dont really need it and though well if all the parts from a e38 would work how hard would it be to make work on our e39? the biggest concern would be the fact that its seems to only work with auto e38.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
Why would one even need ACC if they payed attention to the road ;)

if you do not know when to or can't disengage CC while using it maybe you shouldn't be driving.
+1 why would you ever want ACC, normal cruise control is just fine

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.